Custom Fiberglass Extended Swim Platform

tpenfield

Staff member
Someone on the boat design forum raised a good point. ( yes I was surprised too :) ) With the extended platform, there is the opportunity to have more people at the stern of the boat and a bit further out than normal. This would have the stern sitting low in the water and could possibly cause water to get over the existing risers and into the exhaust manifolds.

I was wondering if I should consider adding a 3” riser kit to the engines as a margin of safety :noidea:

Thoughts?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I was wondering if I should consider adding a 3” riser kit to the engines as a margin of safety :noidea:

Thoughts?

measure your static water line to gunwale...... then measure the gunwale to elbow.

tpenfield

Staff member
I measured the height of the elbows above the static water line with no people load. I got 15” using the method specified by Mercruiser . However, Merc states that the boat should have a full people load, which would sink the stern about 3-4”. So, the height would only be 11-12” with load vs. a spec of 13”.

I could probably add a 3” riser to be sure. There is about 5” space for a riser.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
That sounds like something that needs added to a sticky or something.. I wonder with some of the major refurbed boats around here if this is an issue no one thinks about... I know I never would have

tpenfield

Staff member
That sounds like something that needs added to a sticky or something.. I wonder with some of the major refurbed boats around here if this is an issue no one thinks about... I know I never would have

Yes, I didn't think much of it before doing the platform, and we would always have a bunch of people at the stern of the boat. The platform adds about 150 lbs to the stern, so it was a goo idea that I checked.

tpenfield

Staff member
We have been out on the boat the past few days and the swim platform is working out nicely. (I wish I could say that for the rest of the boat :rolleyes: )

Here are a few photos for the platform 'in action' . . . if you can call it that :)

IMG_0541.jpg
IMG_0557.jpeg
IMG_2826.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2822.JPG
    IMG_2822.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2827.JPG
    IMG_2827.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2819 2.JPG
    IMG_2819 2.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 12

tpenfield

Staff member
We have put a decent amount of load on the swim platform so far. Nothing too excessive. Here are some of the crew hanging out on the platform. The platform holds up well. The stern is down about 4" with 4 people sitting on the platform.

IMG_6727BLC.jpg

Not sure when I will have time to add the 3" riser blocks. Probably an all-day job to do both engines.