Custom Fiberglass Extended Swim Platform

tpenfield

Staff member
Quick Update . . .

I've got most of the remaining hardware and necessities on order. Things remaining on the platform to be completed before boat launching are:

Fasten the 4 struts to underside of existing swim deck
Install rubrail w/ stainless steel insert
Install ladders
Install hatches
Install pop-out cleats
Install cupholders

I also plan to re-coat some areas of the gelcoat that needed a bit of fixing. I am thinking I can do some "roll & tip" application of the gelcoat. We shall see how that goes . . . :rolleyes:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Install cupholders

Most Important.

Quick Update . . .

I also plan to re-coat some areas of the gelcoat that needed a bit of fixing. I am thinking I can do some "roll & tip" application of the gelcoat. We shall see how that goes . . . :rolleyes:

add some dura-tech gloss additive and it will make your repair go almost seamless

tpenfield

Staff member
Big weekend planned for the boat to finish off the extended swim platform.

I've got to finish off the mechanical fastening underneath and attach the hardware topside.

Then I still have a bunch of regular boat prep to do . . .

Finish the hull antifouling paint
Outdrive Anti-fouling Paint
Oil change
Fueling
Cleaning

One thing that I have been contemplating is whether (or not) pull the outdrives for u-joint lube and general inspection, alignment check, etc. Typically, I do that every year, but I think I have skipped a year once in a while.

I'm just thinking if I get short on time, should I skip the u-joint lube this year :noidea:

I know it is better to pull the drives, but just looking for input either way. The bellows are only a couple of years old and the u-joints and gimbal have been greased every year.

My boat launch is schedule for 9:30 AM on Monday. Just not sure I can get all of the work done in 3 days.

Thoughts?

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
I've started to make sure I always have at least one spare outdrive gasket set cuz I find I always use that as an excuse to not remove mine when i know I should lol...

Its one of those things that after you're done, you wonder why you ever procrastinated about it.

tpenfield

Staff member
OK guys, thanks for the input. Looks like I'll be safe rather than sorry.

I have been out in the rain this morning moving boats stands and blocks. My boat hauler set the boat too low this year for my outdrive dollies to work properly. So, I had to lift the boat up about 6" to get another block under the keel.

I have the engines running and will be changing the motor oil first, then pull the outdrives.

tpenfield

Staff member
It's a good thing that I pulled the outdrives . . .

IMG_2728.JPG
A barnacle had lodged in the water passage at the bell housing. A similar thing to an issue I had a couple of years ago. The other outdrive was fine.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
it looks like a sea-turd

too bad the first real strainer on these boats is the power steering cooler (smaller passages than the pickup grate)

Scott Danforth

Staff member
actual picture of Ted's provisioning s for his inaugural use of the swim platform

fetch

tpenfield

Staff member
Thanks everyone for the accolades :thumb:

I'm a bit behind my schedule, so I waived off the launching for today. I am still working on the hatches to get the hinges installed.

The fasteners for the struts took quite some time. I am using SS 'squared' u-bolts with a spacer that I made.
IMG_2737.JPG
The Duratech hi-gloss additive worked out pretty well as I put a topcoat on the over the gelcoat. A few brush marks, but I'll probably do some wet sanding/polishing.

I hope to be pretty much finished up today

Attachments

• IMG_2736.JPG
    IMG_2736.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2734.JPG
    IMG_2734.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 0