1961 Starcraft Holiday restoration

dziadzia

Recruit
Hi. I've been reading and learning from this forum since April (Thank you!) and my sons have encouraged me to jump in and actually start posting. By way of introduction, my Dad purchased this boat in 1961 and it was the only boat he ever owned. Unfortunately, the boat has sat outdoors on a trailer since 1986 and is essentially an aluminum hull with lots of potential. My Mom asked me this spring if I would be interested in restoring the boat in my Dad's memory and passing it on to my sons and potential grandchildren. So, here are I am - a guy who did not even know what a "transom" was back in April, attempting a restoration. The expertise and knowledge on this site is amazing and for that I thank you. By the way, my sons and I finished removing the transom this past weekend.:)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
aluminum boat transom replacement is a weekend project.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
These are the kinds of restorations that I really like. Post a few more time, and after 3 I think you can post some pics. That really helps us to help you. I'm NOT a Tin Can boat expert but I KNOW we have a LOT of em here on the forum and they'll help you with EVERY aspect of your restoration. I am pretty good at All the wood stuff on all types of boats so Transoms, Seats, gunwales ets.. I can and will help. When you're done, your dad will be smiling down and your Grand kids will appreciate your efforts.

dziadzia

Recruit
My son and I rebuilt the transom by gluing together 2 pieces of 3/4" AB marine plywood using TiteBond III. We tried to dry fit it but its snug enough that if we were to put it in all the way, we'd probably have a hard time getting it out. Are we better off with a tight fit or should we sand it down until it slides in and easily?

Also, I plan to use the Old Timers Wood Sealer (OTWS) formula ( linseed oil + mineral spirits + varnish). What is the proper way to dispose of the rags? Also, should I use epoxy resin prior to applying the OTWS, or is that redundant?

Finally, the piece wood that goes on the outside of the boat, behind the transom, should I also use OTWS and epoxy on that piece as well? Thanks!