Floor replacement in a 72 Starcraft Supersport

Kjmfisher

Cadet
I've started to take my floor off and it doesn't seem to be Stingers underneath the floor I hope I'm using the right word what should I do about that and is there a good way to put those Stingers in that riveted aluminum

Kjmfisher

Cadet
I am replacing the floor in my 72 Starcraft the floor does not seem to have any bracing in it that seems to be sitting straight onto the foam what should I do about that

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

You sure? Every aluminum Starcraft we've seen here has either longitudinal stringers or lattice support frames under the deck depending on age or model.

Pictures will help.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
We need pictures of what you are talking about, all of the Starcraft Supersports have a support system for the floor, I know my 73 does, you might want to take a look in the Starcraft section at some of the various restorations so you can see what they have or are suppose to have under the deck.

Kjmfisher

Cadet
Okay I'll dig a little deeper and get some pictures I just stuck my foot through the floor and pulled up about a 2-foot by 2-foot section to see what was underneath there and all I could find was foam and I know need to replace the flotation it's really badly water logged it sat for 8 years while i was in the military but I love that old boat and I want to use it again

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer
Looking at the 1968 & 1974 Starcraft brochures I see that the wooden floor sits on aluminum ribs that seem to run longitudinally. There are also lateral aluminum ribs but they may be for hull strength rather than floor support IMHO. Only on the fiberglass boats are there wooden stringers and they are glassed in beneath the wooden floor.
Click image for larger version  Name:	Starcraft construction 1.jpg Views:	2 Size:	165.9 KB ID:	10594222Click image for larger version  Name:	Starcraft construction 2.jpg Views:	2 Size:	178.1 KB ID:	10594223

Click image for larger version  Name:	Starcraft construction 3.jpg Views:	2 Size:	464.1 KB ID:	10594221Click image for larger version  Name:	Starcraft construction 4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	130.4 KB ID:	10594224

Kjmfisher

Cadet
Thank you for the response I will look a little deeper and maybe I have something been Stingers that I need to replace I am an electrical engineer so I know who elding isn't part of my job description but I can weld pretty good thank you for your help now I just got to tackle the next problem replacing my hundred twenty MerCruiser

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I know this is probably taboo but when I replaced the floor in my ‘68 and got rid of the foam and didn’t put new in it never changed it’s draft. I hung an 89 rude 90hp off the back and that boat flew after that. But yes for sure it had the longitudinal aluminum supports in it.

Kjmfisher

Cadet
Don't let the Coast Guard get a hold of you because anything under 20 feet is required by the Coast Guard to have some type of floatation in it

jbcurt00

Staff member
Don't let the Coast Guard get a hold of you because anything under 20 feet is required by the Coast Guard to have some type of floatation in it
Thats ONLY if you are a boat Manufacturer....

BUT, why would you not want to put float foam back? Only used if needed, but so is insurance...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

That is incorrect, manufactures of boats are required, home builders and those who refurbish are not. But like JB stated, there is no reason to not put some in there while you have the floor tore out and you have access.

Kjmfisher

Cadet
So what kind of foam should I use to replace mine or should I just take it into one of these boat manufacturers and have them spray in the spring and foam they have