When to fair, when to fiberglass?

boedekerj

Seaman
Hello all,
Going to do my final flip over of the hull to fix the gouges before re-capping and starting final steps. Had a quick question. At what point is it acceptable to use filler/fairing compound? I have several spots that were fairly badly gouged (up to 1/8"), which I sanded out. I'm wondering if I need to use resin and glass to build up more prior to fairing compound.

I've read dozens of mfg's saying that "voids up to 1/4" deep", but I find that more a pipe-dream. I'm curious what the opinions are in here.

boedekerj

Seaman
No. I should probably start one... I'll get some pics lined up and a summary of the project so far....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Basic rule of thumb...If you can see glass fibers then repair with resin and glass. If no fibers exposed then a good peanut butter type filler will work great.

boedekerj

Seaman
Thanks, WOG. So, just to verify; fairing compound is not really needed. PB is fine.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Fairing compound is only reallly needed for stuations where ou need to sand to a smooth surface. PB can be sanded smooh, but it is really hard and not easy to sand.

kcon

Petty Officer 1st Class
As stated above, fairing compound is more or less for smoothing or filling surface imperfections in preparation of painting, such as scratched, pitted, un-level surfaces, etc. You'd probably be fine using it either way, but personally I'd follow exactly what woodonglass said, he hasn't steered me wrong yet! To be safe, what I'd also do - if the area was damaged due to contact use PB, if the area was damaged due to stress and/or delamination, bevel it out and use fiberglass/resin.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
When I said Type of Peanut Butter I meant the Fairing Material Type made with Resin, a bit of Cabosil, and Glass Bubbles. This make a good fairing Peanut butter that yields about a 30 minute work window mixed with 1% hardener. It sands very easily and adheres well.;)

BlueBeard70

Cadet
I'd love to order from US Composites but it's complicated to get things into Canada. Anyone know of a good supplier on this side?