1982 Viking Suncruiser 2500 SU IO restoration

jeredst1

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks odlrem I had about 280 hrs in that rebuild, half of it was cleaning, polishing and sealing the toons.

jeredst1

Seaman Apprentice
I have a oil filled electric radiator in the aft cabin too keep it above freezing for the tear out of the interior. I doubt if Ill do much to the exterior until spring.

jeredst1

Seaman Apprentice
A little more V berth decking removal this past weekend. I should have removed the cabinetry as they rolled fiberglass down the back edge to seal it. Found out the hard way through digging around and under using an osoloscillaing cutter. Next task is to remove the galley and storage cabinetry without destroying them. I want to try to reuse or have a template to rebuild with a natural wood face instead of laminated faced as they are.

Attachments

• photo283981.jpg
    photo283981.jpg
    448.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo283982.jpg
    photo283982.jpg
    510 KB · Views: 1
  • photo283983.jpg
    photo283983.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 1

jeredst1

Seaman Apprentice
Any thoughts or advise to saving and reusing factory cabinets vs remaking out of solid hardwood other then added cost and labor.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Based on the pics on pg. 1 they look salvageable. Sand and re-stain. look for dry rot, delamination, mold etc. replace if required or fit new pc. of wood back on existing cabinet.

jeredst1

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks KC, All the interior walls, enclosures and cabinets are lamiate wood grain, i.e. Formica, so sanding and refinishing will be limited to the counter top rail/edges, some trim and caping or edging. Not sure if i have hahogany or teak for the natural wood that it has, I just haven't paid close enough attention to it.

jeredst1

Seaman Apprentice
You can see in this pic the contrast between the two. Natural wood vs the laminated wood grain.

Attachments

• photo284283.jpg
    photo284283.jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 1

bansil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is the fridge 3 way or? does it still work and will you reuse it?

jeredst1

Seaman Apprentice
Is the fridge 3 way or? does it still work and will you reuse it?

Thanks for asking, it's a two way 12v dc and 120v ac. Haven't ran it long enough to know if it cools, but motor runs on both voltages. Yes it's my hope to reuse if she serviceable. Replacing it can be spendy. It also has a breaker for a water heater and receptacle behind the fridge, but only has cold water lines run and no conections or evidence of ever having one installed.

jeredst1

Seaman Apprentice
Sorry haven' posted in a while . Been busy with life and family. Continuing with my previous post. It doubtful that I will put a water heater in based on how much would you want to shower in the small head/shower. My future plans do not include long stays just long weekends fishing on th great lakes.

bansil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We have always used the cheap black plastic solar bags you can get at wally world or???

We leave them in the sun all day, then can move them into the bus/camper or shower tent, hang and use as normal 1 bag is good for 2 adults showers easy

They only need to have the bag at head level

ETA bad link and to add after adding the 40 gallon HW heater in the bus, we still used this outside for a quick rinse off for sand and such

Last edited:

jeredst1

Seaman Apprentice
Good idea solar shower, or a variation of. Will look at ways to incorporate some solar water heating. Even on a hot day warm water is nice to have.