Floor and stringer repair and replacement

New member here. My name is Corey. I am restoring my dads 1974 24' fiberform or attempting to. I will prob have a lot of questions in the future. Right now I am working on the inside the galley I believe where the bed is and stuff. I gutted everything and going to redo all the wood as it was moldy and coming apart. I want to install carpet. So my question is there are bolts in the ceiling in certain places that I don't know what they go to but want to remove them to put carpet in then replace them. They are very rusty and will probably snap off if I lossen them. Are the front windows bolted in? That's what I think the bolts are coming from but not sure. Its becoming a lot bigger project than I thought but want to do it right and only once. Thank you for any advice.

Last edited:

oldrem

Commander
You need 4 posts before it will allow you to post photos

CrazyFinn

Petty Officer 1st Class
I gutted everything and going to redo all the wood as it was moldy and coming apart. ... Its becoming a lot bigger project than I thought but want to do it right and only once. Thank you for any advice

Before you even think about carpet, make sure you THOROUGHLY go through the whole boat. Not just the cabin, galley, and floor. Check the stringers, transom, etc. Read as many of the other restoration threads as you can find on here - I think you will find that the project is much bigger than you are even thinking now.

Not trying to discourage you at all. Instead, trying to encourage you to do it all properly - make sure you find all of the rot! I have a '74 Sea Ray, same size of boat as yours, and the wood is all mush (I even have a mushroom growing out of the transom). When I'm done, sometime in the distant future, almost all of the wood will have been replaced.

Before you even think about carpet, make sure you THOROUGHLY go through the whole boat. Not just the cabin, galley, and floor. Check the stringers, transom, etc. Read as many of the other restoration threads as you can find on here - I think you will find that the project is much bigger than you are even thinking now.

Not trying to discourage you at all. Instead, trying to encourage you to do it all properly - make sure you find all of the rot! I have a '74 Sea Ray, same size of boat as yours, and the wood is all mush (I even have a mushroom growing out of the transom). When I'm done, sometime in the distant future, almost all of the wood will have been replaced.

thank you for your insight. the one good thing is the boat has been in a shop for around 25 years. the only real bad rot was the wood that covered the fuel tank. most of the wood looks to be covered in resin. it did see the water a few times back in 03. I just got tired of the look and moldy smelly carpet. the more i tear into it the more i find wrong and have to keep going. want to start moving forward so i can feel like i am getting somewhere.

CrazyFinn

Petty Officer 1st Class
most of the wood looks to be covered in resin..

All of the rotten wood in my boat (and most other boats) is "covered in resin" (fiberglass actually). The problem is that the encapsulated wood does end up getting exposed to moisture over the 40+ years since it was built, and the rot that ensues is like a cancer, completely hidden under the glass. Only way to check is to drill holes and get "core samples". This is covered in many other threads here.

About your window question - you're probably right. I know that on my boat, I have determined that most of the water getting into the cabin is getting under the windshield, and leaking in around the fasteners that hold it in place. The whole thing will need to be removed and re-sealed (at least on my boat).

All of the rotten wood in my boat (and most other boats) is "covered in resin" (fiberglass actually). The problem is that the encapsulated wood does end up getting exposed to moisture over the 40+ years since it was built, and the rot that ensues is like a cancer, completely hidden under the glass. Only way to check is to drill holes and get "core samples". This is covered in many other threads here.

About your window question - you're probably right. I know that on my boat, I have determined that most of the water getting into the cabin is getting under the windshield, and leaking in around the fasteners that hold it in place. The whole thing will need to be removed and re-sealed (at least on my boat).

i take it that i would have to cut that wood out since it is covered in fiberglass and try to find the edge of the wood to get it all out and replace it? kinda nervous about cutting into the wood because i am not sure how it is all in there. so you are saying that the window is bolted in? well the frame anyway?

Last edited:
I do know what you mean there is a bad spot under the captains chair that is swollen but its covered in fiberglass so not sure how to cut it out I don't know where there is supports or rails or anything. I am doing this project for my dad because the boat is very sentimental to him and I like projects. I'm trying to save money and do it all myself but I am new to boats. I am very mechanically inclined when it comes to car and motor building. My brother is helping me and he is good with wood working so that helps. So question is can you guys help explain how I replace wood that is covered in fiberglass cause it all looks like one piece to me so I can't tell how its in there. Example is the walkway down into the cabin is soft but I don't wanna just cut into something and not know what I'm doing. Like I said I have got this far and I want to do it right and only once and not cut corners and put a bandaid on something. Any advice is appreciated. I can load more pics later today so you can see what I'm dealing with.

Here are some pics

Attachments

• 20171108_184617-600x845.jpg
    20171108_184617-600x845.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20171108_183620-845x600.jpg
    20171108_183620-845x600.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 4
  • 20171108_183625-845x600.jpg
    20171108_183625-845x600.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20171108_183446-540x540.jpg
    20171108_183446-540x540.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 4

kcon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking at the pictures it looks like you have a rotten deck there, these things rot from the bottom up so you may very likely also be working with rotten stringers / transom as well. You'll need to drill some samples of those structural areas to determine if they need to be replaced.

question is can you guys help explain how I replace wood that is covered in fiberglass cause it all looks like one piece to me so I can't tell how its in there.

You have to tear out/grind out the fiberglass that is encapsulating the rotten wood, consider that deck fiberglass useless. Let's assume the entire deck is rotten here, if so you'll need to remove all the decks wood and every bit of that glass where it connects to the fiberglass hull.

I'm trying to save money and do it all myself
Unfortunately saving money, for the project you're looking at, is relative. Saving money compared to purchasing a new boat? Sure. But that doesn't mean you're looking at an affordable project from the perspective you may be looking at it. If you have to replace the stringer, transom, and deck then prepare to spend a few thousand dollars and probably over a hundred hours of your time. It can be done, it's a big job but with the right attitude, research, and time management you can knock it out in a few months.

Damn a few thousand that sucks but if it has to be done then so be it. I am most positive the transom is good. Ya I guess my next step is to just start tearing into the floor. I know and can see the rotten parts. Tearing it out will help me understand how it is put together. Luckily my brother works at s lumber yard so I can get wood cheap. I will also have yo learn how to fiberglass to seal the wood and attach the stringers. Guess it is true b.o.a.t break out another thousand. I was getting a little discouraged to just rip up the floor cause its not just sheets screwed down that I can see how they are in there but looks like I don't have a choice and need to just start cutting it out.

I wouldnt be sure. usually the transom and stringer rot long before the floor. Floor is always the last to rot

drill and check the shavings

Transom is the back of the boat correct? The transom goes below the deck I would imagine. Once I get the deck ripped up I will be able to see the stringers and transom so I can take core samples from them?

Is there a way to change the title of this thread? It kind of went off topic of where I started learning I'm no where near installing carpet. I want to keep you guys updated on my progress and questions on the tare down

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
yes, that is correct.

drill about 1" up from the hull, put a piece of tape on the drill bit so you only drill in about 3/4". I use a 1/4" bit. you want to drill thru the 1/4" of fiberglass and at least about 1/2" into the wood.

if shavings come out light-colored, dry and smelling of wood, simply plug the holes with epoxy putty and move on.
if the shavings come out dark-colored, wet, and smelling of rotting wood and mulch, simply fire up the tools of destruction and replace the transom and stringers.

dont be surprised if you have water coming out of the test holes.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Is there a way to change the title of this thread? It kind of went off topic of where I started learning I'm no where near installing carpet. I want to keep you guys updated on my progress and questions on the tare down

PM a Mod to change the title