1977 Sylvan Sea Monster Side Console Rebuild

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
99% of the fishing boats come with carpet and I hate that as well. Bed liner would be my last choice though, first is vinyl after fishing and cruising in my boats that have Nautolex vinyl in them.

The pic below is how with us vinyl guys over come the side gap by running the vinyl up about 6"s and after laying the main run using adhesive to secure it. There's side panels in our SC boats. which also isolate the transition seam. Side panels gives you the option f having a hatch for hidden rod storage, paddles and gear as well. Having the casting deck in my stern ruled that out in my design but many others like Budski have used the side panel area for storage in his builds.

y4m0Hv0TqTUj75n1Fe83AVEvvYU2JyCdeUtXz-A9g9_j5tvoo8iJonXs67zhniqSeU0pamhCHmUA4adSGqRpyB4anyPqR0XZ4P22JGi4i0ECySXYrTj8bDIwFZO3BGxV6QC3un0WgZJVWN1VtLhRigyOp0ZBwONb7Y_h5QluWOgDlySZJlD3Y8AK3T1q2lSzKLl31McQGCeXx6VE5icsWzabQ

Side panels in and building AL deck structure. You can see how that seals off the transition edge.

y4mdQy5URGyfN1DIhknUo6MLvqhz9vn8uBzzsLauzF6Y0hcIjT0S0PTcGZc_C5qn48Hu8XjqF6CyBFigDBkPx2KnB--PKkJSKJMTlaTytVSesPhgohoekjqD0Cm-4uyQcszjQ1QunFmSv-gxIqYLERRnuNmrYcKGSOoF7X5eP6FblFHxf1RJkQffekgrG7k8AfGZknbBGjEUCmH7hHLpKFGMA

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Kinda like Waterman says...run it close then maybe run some carpet up the side or other material. The flex will kill ya. I gues it would be rediculous to run scabs of tin along the sides to pick up the deck.
I'm a glasser so what do I know.
On another note Rem I hope you are feeling better and don't over stress yourself.:)

oldrem

Commander
You vinyl looks nice, but unfortunately vinyl and I have a very sorted past.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
You vinyl looks nice, but unfortunately vinyl and I have a very sorted past.

Alright, well it sounds like your mind is made up, good luck and I hope truck bed liner isn't the next sorted past for you.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
just remember don't buy the cheap rubber bedliner use a urethane type and you will not have any issues as long as prep is what it needs to be:)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If the boat is foamed properly, allowing water flow to the stern, then I'm not sure why the necessity for sealing the deck. One of the nice things about a Tin Can boat is that the underdeck doesn't ever rot. Foam creates some concern but proper drainage fabrication and proper maintenance (Always stored Bow Up) there should never be any standing water under the deck to effect the foam and its staying dry. As stated aluminium hulls flex and trying to install a rigid deck is futile IMHO.
But...I AM just and Old Dumb Okie soooo take that into consideration too.:D;)

oldrem

Commander
just remember don't buy the cheap rubber bedliner use a urethane type and you will not have any issues as long as prep is what it needs to be:)

I won't go cheap for sure. A friend is quoting me on having his crew do it with Bullet. The partners of Line-x split up and that's the new off shoot company.

oldrem

Commander
If the boat is foamed properly, allowing water flow to the stern, then I'm not sure why the necessity for sealing the deck. One of the nice things about a Tin Can boat is that the underdeck doesn't ever rot. Foam creates some concern but proper drainage fabrication and proper maintenance (Always stored Bow Up) there should never be any standing water under the deck to effect the foam and its staying dry. As stated aluminium hulls flex and trying to install a rigid deck is futile IMHO.
But...I AM just and Old Dumb Okie soooo take that into consideration too.:D;)

My biggest concern is having any gap where crap and crud can accumulate - was just hoping to alleviate that.

Felt a little better today after work, so put a few hours into removing the old crappy paint from the transom then started on the starboard. As I knew there was absolutely no primer under the paint. After 2 coats of stripper removed only about 60% of the paint I finished up with the cup wheel. I'm heading now to pick up some Rustoleum Aircraft Remover to see if that works any better tomorrow. It will be nice starting with a clean slate.

Would there be any problem spraying the self etching primer on the transom now or should I wait until I'm closer to final prime and paint?

Stripping outer hull.jpg

oldrem

Commander
What a difference finding the right stripper makes. The aircraft stripper bubbles the paint in less than 5 minutes and does more with one application than the others I tried did in 4.

Port side and bow area are stripped. My body told me to take a break.

Stripping outer hull 2.jpg

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Well thats a Dandy! Awesome!! Anything to make the project easier.
Make a reference to the mfg for the other guys.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
What a difference finding the right stripper makes. The aircraft stripper bubbles the paint in less than 5 minutes and does more with one application than the others I tried did in 4.

Port side and bow area are stripped. My body told me to take a break.

I had the same results with the aircraft stripper. Good call!

And listen to your body. It means serious bidness! Read my sig line for a clue. ;)

oldrem

Commander
Well thats a Dandy! Awesome!! Anything to make the project easier.
Make a reference to the mfg for the other guys.

Rustoleum Professional Grade Aircraft Remover. I know different paints require different strippers, but this is the perfect one for this paint.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup the ACS is the best stripper for aluminium. The foam can be installed in such a way that it allows good flow to the stern. Some 1/4" plywood will make some nice forms to keep the foam flat and keep it where you want it.

RStewart

Seaman
Yup the ACS is the best stripper for aluminium. The foam can be installed in such a way that it allows good flow to the stern. Some 1/4" plywood will make some nice forms to keep the foam flat and keep it where you want it.

WOG are you talking about the expanding foam? Can you point to any particular thread that demonstrates the foam installation process you are referring to?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup expanding foam. I'll see if I can find some examples. But a lot depends on the aluminium Stringers and Bulkhead configuration of your boat. Basically you use the plywood to wall of the sides of the hull so water that goes down the side will be able to flow to the stern. The New pour in foam forms a waterproof outer wall when cured and water will not permeate to the inner core. As long as you store the boat bow up it should never get waterlogged.

Last edited:

oldrem

Commander
Got the rest of the paint stripped tonight and hit a good portion of the starboard side with the cup brush. Worked until the blood hawks (aka skeeters) started picking me off my feet to carry me into the woods. They are horrendous this year. Hope we have a breeze free evening soon so I can do some fogging.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
time to get it repaired or replaced:)
interesting fact mosquitos are attracted to certain dna they just found out, gues thats why they have no effect on me but missus looks like she has chicken pox after 5 minutes:)

oldrem

Commander
time to get it repaired or replaced:)
interesting fact mosquitos are attracted to certain dna they just found out, gues thats why they have no effect on me but missus looks like she has chicken pox after 5 minutes:)

I'm one of those that a single skeeter in a quarter mile radius will find me.