1977 Sylvan Sea Monster Side Console Rebuild

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I did magnets as well but had to go up to heaver magnets I tried strip magnets first, they weren't sting enough to keep doors shut hitting waves

oldrem

Commander
I panicked when the adjustable hole saw I was using went haywire and screwed up my oak dash while getting ready to install a tachometer..

Tach 1.jpg

After a few words I won't repeat, I cooled down and decided to make a black plastic bezel that will hide my screw up and be held in place by the tach.

Tach 2.jpg

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
There ya go! No harm no foul. Looking slick! LOL! Been saying a few lately myself. :eek:

oldrem

Commander
Very very frustrated, The only thing I wanted to accomplish yesterday after work was to calibrate and install the new tachometer. After testing a new multimeter with Frequency setting earlier in the week and finding it WAY off, I reported it to the seller and they sent a replacement. Meanwhile I ordered another brand, a non-contact tach and a mini tach that could be set for my motor. I also borrowed a higher end meter from a friend that automatically calculates RPM.

The replacement was reading 2.5 Hz, the other I ordered was jumping all over from 66 to 280 Hz, The non-contact was reading under 800 rpm, the mini tach read 000, the one from my friend said it was 1280 rpm. I called another friend who said he could get by without his big Mac Tools unit until Monday morning so went and grabbed that. It showed 1250 rpm. Sooo looks like everything I bought is crap, the motor that I knew was idling high is actually quite higher than I thought, and to top it off the potentiometer on the tach fell inside the housing when I tried to dial it in. Thank goodness they're going to replace the tach and everything else is either going back or getting replaced. Many bad words later I think I'm ok now.

Today I riveted some SS hooks up under the gunwale to get the trolling motor and forward transducer wires up out of the way.

Forward wire hooks.jpg

Added 2 tow eyes on the stern

Tow Eye.jpg

Then I replaced the prop once again hoping to find the sweet spot.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Like Mick said Rem. Days like that seem to pop up. So much to do and so little time can get frustrating.
I have to get a couple of those tow hooks. :eek:

oldrem

Commander
As much as I love the retracting tie down ratchet I have for the boat transom, I found out this morning how dangerous they can be. Apparently the hook slipped out of the hole on the far side and when I pushed the retract button to take up the slack before ratcheting it tight the hook came flying over the boat and cracked me good in the head. Got the bleeding to stop after about 20 minutes so we could go fishing. :)

Head is still a little tender lol

PS fishing sucked again on Eagle Lake - admiral says we're trying a different lake next time

Bloody head.jpg

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
That's not good being clobbered in the noggin while in the process of having a good time. You should look into getting some boat buckles like I have on my boats.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Ouch! That looks like it came with some choice words lol.
Heads bleed a lot too so I woulda thought I was dying :eek:

oldrem

Commander
Got tired of looking at the rust on the old Jeep I picked up for the boat, so sent it off to a body and paint guy for some work. Nice to have the rust gone.

Rust 1.jpgRust 2.jpgRust 3.jpgFinished 1.jpgFinished 2.jpgFinished 3.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Wow ! Those retractable strap things need to come with a warning !
Jeep is looking real nice !

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
So when I'm pissed from the boat and throwing things around my wife made me get this for the cat.
Might help in the short term.

th

oldrem

Commander
Guess I had a few things to be thankful for yesterday. #1 that no one was badly injured
and #2 there wasn’t more damage.

We had high winds Wednesday gusting to 45-50MPH. As I walked out to put up the flag
yesterday morning, something didn’t look right. I then realized a 75ft pine tree had come
down during the storm. After examining it I felt sick and stormed into the house half
crying and cursing up a storm. Pat couldn’t believe my dumb luck when she came out to
see it.

I had promised Pat I would get most of the outdoor Christmas lights and outdoor decor up
since the entire weekend is supposed to be rain and snow, so got started on that first.
one of my neighbors stopped by and offered his help if I needed it to take care of the tree.
My closer son-in-law phoned for another reason and also offered to come if I needed
help. Stubborn old fart declined both offers.

As soon as I finished the decorations, I grabbed a chain saw and ladder to start on the tree
demo. When I cut the first 10ft section off the tree, I hadn’t accounted for all the vines
that were entangled in the tree and the section swung down like a huge pendulum
knocking over the ladder and sending me tumbling to the ground 20 feet away.

My neighbor Greg saw in happen and came running over to make sure I was ok. After I
dusted myself off he instructed me we were going to do this together lol. He grabbed
another saw and a couple machetes. We went to work bucking some of what was left and
clearing the vines before doing any more cutting.

Greg insisted on climbing the ladder to make the next big cut. Well, that kicked out
knocking the ladder out from under him as he went tumbling to the ground. It was my
turn to make sure HE was ok.

After that we finished the bucking. I convinced him one more cut close to the boat and
another on the other side of the boat and we should be good. As soon as that first cut was
made, the root ball took over and lifted the remaining 25ft back to a standing position.

I removed the forward section of the Winter cover to check for damage. There are
indentations on the gunwale caps and trim on both sides. For now that is the only damage
we were able to find. I crawled underneath and the hull looks unscathed. I had the
jackstand on some 1/4” press board which both the jackstand and jack punched right
through probably saving far more damage. Finished cleaning up about 4 just before
guests were to arrive for dinner.

Tree1a.jpgTree2.jpgTree3.jpgTree5.jpgBoat1.jpgBoat2.jpg

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yup a lot to be grateful for! No-one was seriously hurt. Heck of a big tree their. Those darn
chainsaws scare the hey out of me after 1 close call I had years ago.