Floor question for my fiberglass deckrot?

Squadilizer

Cadet
I am opening the floor of my 18' fiberform and was wondering if I could treat the beams with anything to help protect from water and rot. More fiber glass? Some kind of sealant on the wood? Looks like the deck is the only problem. I could use any advice on putting back together. Planning on 5/8 marine ply?roll on liner. Maybe fiber glass like re original ?
Thanks

Patrick M

Cadet
When I do transoms, floor repair even with marine grade wood I always coat it with resin you'll never have a problem again

Squadilizer

Cadet
Ahh? Whatever? I didn't bother to find the correct term before my original post. I was briefly reading that I should inspect the "transom". I didn't. Newb here? Resin? What kind. Clowns, like in the circus?

jbcurt00

Staff member
When I do transoms, floor repair even with marine grade wood I always coat it with resin you'll never have a problem again

Polyester resin has little to no value when used w out fiberglass, epoxy can be used w out fiberglass.

Not sure how you got confused, but no member can delete posts, only Moderators can. Squad did not delete your post. In fact the post you clsimed he deleted was never actually posted, an error on your end somewhere.

No one else but you and Squad posted here until this post, so again, not sure how you got confused and directed comments at some unknown 3rd party you referred to as a clown. That explains why Squad had to ask

In the future try to mind your manners, if you cant be helpful, avoid posting, and refrain from the name calling, esp when you're the one who's confused.

Also please refer to resin as either polyester, vinylester or epoxy resin, rather then simply resin . For new members working w fiberglass, it isnt helpful referring to it as resin.

Squad, apologies for the mess made overnight.

Good luck w your project

alldodge

Staff member
Don't need to repair transom with marine grade (ACX) plywood, can use BCX and some use CDX. The X is the glue used and the A-C is the grade of wood. I used BCX when rebuilding mine and picked it up locally without special order. ACX ply in most cases needs to be special ordered unless your in an area they uses a lot of it

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
By the time the floor rots in a boat, the stringers, bulkhead, transom and engine mounts have long since rotted. You boat is almost 40 years old. Not bad for a product intended to last only 15 years.

I suggest exterior grade bcx and polyester resin myself