Help please converting lounge seat to pedestal seat in Bayliner Capri

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hey Everyone,

I have a 87 Bayliner Capri 1750 Bow Rider and I would like to convert the lounge seat to a pedestal seat. I took the lounge off but not too sure howe to remove the box..

Could maybe some of you experts shine some light for me on how to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Dezi

Attachments

• photo265080.JPG
    photo265080.JPG
    254 KB · Views: 7
  • photo265081.JPG
    photo265081.JPG
    311.1 KB · Views: 7

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Cut the carpet around the base of the box and pull all the carpet off the box.

Then you should be able to use a hammer to knock the box apart. Hit inside into the corners and you should quickly see how its splitting open.

You may have to grind fiberglass that is attaching the box to the deck/floor

dezmond

That's what I thought. It is attached by fiberglass. I got a sledge around here somewhere ;)

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I would take the carpet off and figure all the carpet is getting replaced. Then use a sawsall with a good bimetal fine tooth blade and cut the box as low as possible to the floor. Next grinder that down level to deck until some wood shows up.
Boxes gone. That whole area will need to be prepped for glass and done.
Using a hammer will just fracture all your glass on the deck and end up having to replace alot more of the glass then you anticipated. If you use a hammer go with a sledge. lol.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
by looking at the rest of the interior, I would drill core samples in the transom and stringers before worrying about the seat base

dezmond

My second year now. We swapped out the old Ford 2.3 last year and put in the Mercruiser 120. Had it on the water last summer and fall with no issues at all :) Had a real good time. Took it to my local boat mechanic and they winterized it and wrapped it for the winter. When we did the engine swap last year the keyhole was nice and dry, the motor mounts were dry and hard and the floor has no soft spots that I could find. I didn't think I had any worries about the transom or stringers. Should I?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The quality of Bayliner boat construction is suspect at best. A 30 yr old one is really suspect unless...The PO was meticulous about maintenance and care. If there are NO soft spots in the deck and you can bounce on the outdrive with no flex in the transom then you might have found a Diamond in the rough. You could drill some core sample holes down low on the inside of the transom about 1" deep with a 3/8" bit and see what kind of shavings you get. Light and dry is what your looking for. The Keyhole being dry is a GOOD indication that you may in fact have found a good boat.

dezmond

The quality of Bayliner boat construction is suspect at best. A 30 yr old one is really suspect unless...The PO was meticulous about maintenance and care. If there are NO soft spots in the deck and you can bounce on the outdrive with no flex in the transom then you might have found a Diamond in the rough. You could drill some core sample holes down low on the inside of the transom about 1" deep with a 3/8" bit and see what kind of shavings you get. Light and dry is what your looking for. The Keyhole being dry is a GOOD indication that you may in fact have found a good boat.

Well Good news on the transom :) I bounced my fat a$$ on the outdrive and I didn't see any flex :) It seems really solid :) My floors also feel great. No soft spots.. I think for this season I will leave that alone and come fall time, I will pull carpet, drill samples, and do a complete overhaul on the interior, floor, etc. Gives me something to do for the winter.

Got the box out with the saw and most of the "DRY" foam out. Will be starting the grinding this weekend and planning my custom seat base.

Pics to come if anyone is interested.

dezmond

Well.. The Seat swap went really good. I was able to get the old box out, grind and clean up, layup new glass and cover with temp carpet. I used carriage bolts for the base and glassed the wood base into the rest of the floor. It is very strong and I think it looks really good. Took me a total of 2 days to do. Sorry it took so long to post, we have a sign shop and have been really busy :)

Anywho, here re some photos for you guys of the progress. Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask :)

What I wanted to put in

Tear out

Clean Up

Test Fit and lay down glass

And final product. I plan to tear everything out this winter and do a complete interior re do so I don't really care that I have a 2 tone carpet right now :)

RussAZ

Recruit
Thanks for the great pics! I am about to start this project on my 2001 Bayliner 1952. I was wondering if you have had a chance to use it much and if so does the boat still feel as solid? I have read that the port and starboard side boxes add rigidity to the hull. I was thinking about making a small box for the pedestal seat to mount on and then glassing that back into the side of the hull if more rigidity is needed. Also did you take out the other lounge seat base as well?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
This Post has been inactive for almost 6 months. Really not supposed to post it it but...Since you did, I'll reply.
The Seat boxes will NOT add much to the rigidity of the deck. The OP's method is sound and will yield a totally acceptable result.

Status
Not open for further replies.