Sea Nymph GLS 195 restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Should I just leave it alone? The front most rib is cracked the worse, the other ones aren't as bad. I'm not sure of making a repair like you did would help any. Not sure.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wow, that was really a crappy way of "forming" the ribs. It's really no wonder they are all cracked. I'm not a tin guy, but is this normal in these boats? Seems to me it needs gussets for strength.

I thought it was weird too. Every rib that's under the livewell is cracked. The other ones look ok. Will look closer when I get it all cleaned up.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
So do the cracks go all the way through the rib including the foot? Clean them up and post some more pics, I have another idea that would strengthen the area. If the cracks don't go all the way through the foot then stop drill the crack at the ends with a small drill bit.

I would not feel very good about leaving them the way they are and having that in the back of my head would drive me bonkers.

Using channel AL I would bridge across that deep V isolating and strengthening the area. At the ends of each piece of channel AL use a all SS LF blind rivet to attach them to the ribs on each side like 6" above the cracks. Then I would add a piece of plate AL over the top of all the bridges and rivet it to the channel to tie them all together. Hope I explained that repair well enough.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm not sure I'm following​ exactly waterman. The cracks to not go all the way through. I'll try t clean them up this evening and get some more pics.

Watermann

I'm not sure I'm following​ exactly waterman. The cracks to not go all the way through. I'll try t clean them up this evening and get some more pics.

Something like this, the gray lines are the channel AL bridges and the darker line is a plate of AL over the top of the bridges.

rib repair.jpg

Watermann

Yeah something like that one you posted and using channel AL that fits over the sides of the rib and bridges over the V, which would isolate and take a lot of stress from the cracked area. I can't paint shop channel :lol: so you have to imagine it. It would be difficult if not impossible to bend channel AL to have it play flat into the same V shape that's why I say bridge over the V.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
The problem with bridging it is the livewell sits dang near flush on those ribs... Actually the flooring was riveted to the top of the livewell lol

Great nymph

Cadet
How did your foam look before you started was it wet I didn't pull mine because it looked good

Watermann

You don't have to make the bridges go to the outer edge of the ribs, just like 6" up on either side of the V.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
How did your foam look before you started was it wet I didn't pull mine because it looked good

Everything from the console back was slighlty wet and actually lifted right out in one piece. Im pulling all the foam out just because i know it soaks up water eventually. More of a piece of mind thing for me. The 4 pieces of foam under the consoles i had to dig out.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
You don't have to make the bridges go to the outer edge of the ribs, just like 6" up on either side of the V.

Right, but the problem is the livewell sits flush on the ribs, the livewell is a V-shape. So even making the bridge 2" above the middle of the ribs (V part) will lift the livewell 2", thus lifting the flooring.

Last edited:

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Heres a picture of the livewell for you. You can see there wouldnt be much room to make a bridge.

Heres what I was thinking. Red is the ribs, silver would be pieces cut out of aluminum sheeting Black dots are rivets to the side of the ribs, and blue is a piece of aluminum sheeting going across the top of the ribs, flush.

Watermann

I see, drop that fish tank in where it sits and get a shot of it with perspective for distance to the bottom of the V, it looks like it has a flat spot on the bottom. In that splint design there would be no benefit to the bent top cap, just more holes in the rib to start cracking.

You can do that but if you put a splint on the rib foot made from 1/4" AL stock and using the existing holes through the bottom like I did then no new holes and you'd be amazed at how 1/2" total thickness of AL per rib will strengthen that.

Guess you have some ideas and options now at least.

Great nymph

Cadet
No Title

You could put your livewell here this is where my livewell is

Attachments

• photo264168.JPG
    photo264168.JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo264169.JPG
    photo264169.JPG
    266.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo264170.jpg
    photo264170.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 2

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
I see, drop that fish tank in where it sits and get a shot of it with perspective for distance to the bottom of the V, it looks like it has a flat spot on the bottom. In that splint design there would be no benefit to the bent top cap, just more holes in the rib to start cracking.

You can do that but if you put a splint on the rib foot made from 1/4" AL stock and using the existing holes through the bottom like I did then no new holes and you'd be amazed at how 1/2" total thickness of AL per rib will strengthen that.

Guess you have some ideas and options now at least.

Would you run the splint all the way through the V? I assume yes.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Wow, no wonder it cracked. That's a lot of weight from the top, and force from the bottom, pushing and pulling that weakened area of the rib. Bad design IMO.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wow, no wonder it cracked. That's a lot of weight from the top, and force from the bottom, pushing and pulling that weakened area of the rib. Bad design IMO.

I thought the same thing. Theres no supports for the livewell either, it just sits there.

Status
Not open for further replies.