1981 Bluefin Sportsman rebuild

Crawfish Dundee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello, for my first post I'd like to say that I have purchased an empty hull that I am going to rebuild. It will not be restored to original, just resurrected to functional. This boat has traded hands several times, and when I acquired it, it had the original owner on the title and never renewed. All that was with it was the windshield, some chrome parts and the steering wheel along with some rotted plywood flooring for templets. Thanks to a lot of cash that should have went to more sencable spending, I have enough materials to get a good deal of the task done this summer.
A funny thing about this boat, I sold a kayak two weeks ago, and the buyer told me his name, and it rang a bell, the title of my boat had the same last name of the man wanting to buy my kayak. So I asked him if he knew the name of the guy on the title? And believe it or not, it was him! I sent him a picture of my boat and he confirmed that it use to be his, we had a good laugh and a long chat. Anyway, I'm taking him fishing when it's done.
My first step is to replace the rotted transom, then a paint job, then flooring, then council building. I have purchased vinyl flooring , seats and bases, used shift controls , helm kit and cables, paint , a Bimini top, spool of 16 gauge wire, some LED lights, nav lights, a bilge pump, a used 1995 Evinrude 50 hp with tilt and trim, and a partridge in a pare tree. I plan to post progress, and ask questions as I go.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I've always hung the motor from a come-along attached to something somewhat sturdy overhead, maneuvered the boat over to it and lowed it on. One man operation.

Crawfish Dundee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Great idea. I have two tractors with loader buckets available when the time comes. Years ago when I was a young guy, a friend and I wrestled an old 60 hp V4 Evinrude off a boat once, that tested our metal.

Crawfish Dundee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

The boats current condition.

Attachments

• photo260760.JPG
    photo260760.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 3
  • photo260761.JPG
    photo260761.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 3

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
That's a great platform to start from. Looks nearly identical to a Starcraft SS or Mariner hull. Is this gonna be a center console?

Crawfish Dundee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That's a great platform to start from. Looks nearly identical to a Starcraft SS or Mariner hull. Is this gonna be a center console?

No, two swivel seater, maybe three. I did ponder a center console while planning. From pictures of this year of boat that I have found, it came with back to backs. I have purchased two shock absorbing seat pedestals and two seats, and found two used seat peds from a local seller. I may instal a third seat on the front deck.

Crawfish Dundee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I visited the boat today, I keep it parked at the family farm an hour away from home. I pondered on what I have to do to replace the transom wood and got a plan on the drawing board. Thinking ahead, I'm going to have to flip this hull to work the bottom. I see a few rivets gone, and bad bondo patches on other rivets. I need to sand prime and paint the bottom , and I'm scratching my head on how to flip this hull over. I'm estimating the hull weighs around 500 / 600 lbs.
Any ideas besides raw muscle that this pushing 60 broken down fart can try?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Flipped my 18' with 4 guys. Might have been able to do it with 3. If you had something to suspend the front end from with a come-along or something you could probably get away with 2 people.

Crawfish Dundee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Flipped my 18' with 4 guys. Might have been able to do it with 3. If you had something to suspend the front end from with a come-along or something you could probably get away with 2 people.
Thanks for the tip, was the boat on the trailer or off when you did the flip?

Crawfish Dundee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My second boat was an early 60's Starcraft , 14/15 foot 1962 I think, new floor and seats, and updated the motor. Took a beating when I traded it in on a new Crestliner Fish hawk. I have fond memories of that Starcraft.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the tip, was the boat on the trailer or off when you did the flip?

We pulled it off the trailer (over grass next to my driveway) and then flipped it onto 3 Harbor Freight furniture dollies (on the driveway) which let me roll it in and around the garage.

Crawfish Dundee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We pulled it off the trailer (over grass next to my driveway) and then flipped it onto 3 Harbor Freight furniture dollies (on the driveway) which let me roll it in and around the garage.
That was in my head to do it that way, thanks for confirming the idea. I was thinking to four it back on the trailer bottom side up. Or maybe a cradle of some sort with wheels.

Crawfish Dundee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

I have been shopping for pop rivets for attaching the floor to the ends of the ribs, and seen that someone has replaced the floor once already. I think I will rivet smalls tabs of aluminum sheet metal over the ends so I have a fresh area to set pop rivets without fear of hitting half a hole on the previous jobs.

Attachments

• photo261113.JPG
    photo261113.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo261114.JPG
    photo261114.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 5

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Are those 2 holes drilled through the bottom of the boat between the ribs?

fetch

Good idea to use some AL tabs on the rib ends. I buy my rivets from http://rivetsonline.com/aluminum-alu...ange-head.html
Large flange rivets in the .876 - .100 grip range for 3/4" decking, .625 - .875 for 1/2 and 5/8 ply. You can account for the thickness of the tabs how ever thick of material you plan on using.