Avenger Bass Boat Restoration

reekhavuk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have an older Avenger bass boat here that the transom is bad on. I may cut the top off over the transom and pour seacast but my transom is unique and not like any others I have seen while researching. Has anyone ever seen one made like this before? Im thinking that because the way its made the transom doesnt run from one side all the way across to the other side. It looks as if there may only have been a solid plywood core right there in the center area and im concerned it may not be strong. Anyone have some experience with a boat laid out this way I would greatly appreciate any information you could provide. Thanks for your time. transom.jpg

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I'm not sure of the exact question, "I'm concerned it may not be strong"

It's not an unusual design for a bass boat, there are others on this site.

If you're concerned if the design isn't strong, well it didn't fail yet, so it must be strong enough.

If you're concerned about Seacast, it should be fine.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Welcome aboard ! It may just have the center wood core ... You will need to investigate further ... Better check the stringers while your at it and the foam to make sure it's not saturated ... If the stringers are bad then a de-cap would be your best option ...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Until you get into the actual transom, you won't have the entire picture. Yes the center section holds the weight of the engine and such, but it is attached to both sides via the angled portions as well. So look at it as a different setup from the typical straight transoms. It can be refurbished to be like new or even better then new. But like sphelps stated about, you seriously need to examine the stringers and even floor areas as well. Rarely does just a transom rot and nothing else. JMHO

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I agree with the others. I suspect you'll find that the center transom area is built with two central stringers that extend from the bottom of the hull up to the center of the transom. Something like this rough drawing depicts... wingtransom.jpg

reekhavuk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well I pulled the top off, I am going to change the title of this thread to Avenger Bass Boat restoration, as i am going to redo everything . Those areas in the back of the sides, im assuming those are there to provide strength to the back of the boat and I also assume they are filled with foam. They appear to be in good condition and are hard as steel when tapped on. I want to do the restore right but I dont want to cut into those if I dont have to. There only appears to be a small piece of plywood as the transom. Im gonna cut all of it out and replace it and post some pictures when im done. Tomorrow i will work on digging out the foam and exposing the stringers, more pics soon.transom__1485646819_96.44.148.114.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
reekhavuk Title changed as you asked above.

Now the transom makes sense with the braces on either side, similar to what WOG posted. From here it doesn't look like it will be as bad as some other transoms. Good luck on the resto.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
reekhavuk, before brushing off the two side areas that you say are like steel and solid, I would do some quick and easy core samples at the very bottom where they attack to the hull and verify they are not wet or rotted. Since you are now doing everything, It would be a great peace of mind to verify they are solid and not carrying lots of water weigh and rotted. If you drill some core holes and everything comes out dry and light colored, epoxy or polyester resin them closed again and move on to other areas that you know need attention. It certainly wouldn't be the first time an iboater thought everything was solid only to find out rot was everywhere. JMHO

reekhavuk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey thanks for doing that GA_Boater. Well, what do you think about those enclosed areas on the sides, think i need to cut the tops off and dig out the foam and refoam (if they are) or just leave them be?

reekhavuk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ahh we posted at the same time GM280. Ok man sounds good i will do exactly that, I will get in there and check how it looks and Ill post what i find here when i get that done. Thank you all very much for your input on this, I will definitely heed any wisdom that is sent my way.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Since water seeks the lowest level, I would drill some holes of the bottom edge of the boxes. If the foam is dry, glass some cloth over the holes and call it done. Wet or water drips, open the boxes up.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup those side boxes are flotation boxes. Foam filled. As stated, drill low and if no water leave em. Next thing is to get below the inner liner and check condition of stringers.

reekhavuk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Look at how bad this transom was constructed, the glass is so thin. Im amazed at how cheap some of these boats are made!

trans.jpg

reekhavuk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just measured the transom, the wood that was used is 16" x 14". Instead of putting wood back since its such a small area, could I just laminate the necessary thickness using glass instead? That way it couldnt ever rot again? I have seen some videos of people just mixing resin and stuffing it down like seacast and they claim it works. Well if i were to glass it in with csm / 1708 the full thickness (whatever it is 1.5" etc) then it would surely be stronger than that? Anyone ever seen a transom that was laminated this way with just pure glass? Do keep in mind how small of an area this is. If its a bad idea then I will just use plywood like everyone else.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Wow ! Thats a lot of stringers ... Pouring resin down in the transom is not a good idea ... If you want to pour it then use seacast or similar product ..
Are those knee braces rotten inside also ?

reekhavuk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No, what i was trying to say is instead of doing that (pouring resin), i meant laying up many layers of glass over a several day period to keep the temps down to reach the required thickness instead of wood.

And ya, the braces are rotten also.
Thanks.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I have never seen one done like you suggest . Seems like it would take a bunch of resin and cloth to get your thickness . idk...12 or more layers give or take and heavy ...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Nope multi layers of glass is NOT a good idea. IF you build the transom from wood and do the proper glassing and then maintain and care for it properly it will last for decades.
Check out the second Link in my signature below.