1950's Wagemaker Wolverine wooden boat restoration ...

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
looks good sounds right not too much travel you can always use lock tight blue on em and them bolts will be there forever till you want to take them off

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Looks good, nuts never fail to make good spacers! Ace usually has the spacer stock, you just cut it to length. mine keeps them in the plastic boxes with the grommets, pugs and that kind of misc stuff. Love Ace!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yep , Ace seems to have stuff the box stores don’t .
ok so I’m gunna make a home made air filter .
Using a 5 gal bucket , small fan , and filter .
I have seen them made pulling air through the sides of the bucket through the filter then pushed out the top with the fan .
Im thinking of pushing the air the opposite direction .
Into the bucket and out the sides through the filter .
I also will keep the holes in the sides up off the bottom a few inches and add some water in the bucket .
So the filter will catch whatever the water doesn’t .
Does that sound viable ?

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
i used to sell against rainbow vacs they used to market water filtration i could prove the vac i was selling could out perform a water filter :) ahh yes i had dreams of being a door to door salesman for vacs to pick up lonely widowed women and divorcees who wanted to spend their ex husbands fortunes on me:0 lasted 3 weeks hahahahah

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Micky maybe you were just selling the wrong thing ... :hippie:

I was gunna make the filter to put in the varnishing tent . I figure it would be better to push the air through filter and holes in the side of the bucket ... Might keep the discharge air from being disruptive and kicking up more dust .. idk ..
Now I have some 30”long bunk boards soaking in some OTF ...

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
when i do filters for painting i just use hepa filters on back of fan and pull with another fan and soak the floor
but its been awhile since i was able to set up a paint tent lol

fishrdan

Admiral
ok so I’m gunna make a home made air filter .

Air filter for (what)?

I picked up 4-5 el'cheapo 24" box fans and attach 24x24 cheap house filters to them with bungee cords, for spraying in the garage. Prop open the garage door and place the fans underneath, pushing air out of the garage, it filters the air OK. Nothing like a spray booth, but same concept. When I was spraying black, the filters turned out black and there wasn't any noticable overspray outside, did a pretty good job of catching the overspray.

When I'm painting fishing lures, I pop one of them up on the bench and spray in to the filter, catches most of the overspray. I double up the filters when painting lures.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Air filter for (what)?

Trying to keep dust out of my varnish ...
Im getting down to the last few coats so looking to keep it clean as possible ...
Pretty simple filter really E7F83620-A16A-416B-BBA5-73DED1621C50.jpeg

Attachments

• EDF33CCA-A97B-4252-9C37-CBDF82BE4A60.jpeg
    EDF33CCA-A97B-4252-9C37-CBDF82BE4A60.jpeg
    743.7 KB · Views: 0
  • EBF1F21E-19CA-4258-8C8B-69E79E1D4FE0.jpeg
    EBF1F21E-19CA-4258-8C8B-69E79E1D4FE0.jpeg
    760.1 KB · Views: 0

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
The bud was part of the instruction manual’s list of of things needed for assembly on the filter ..
Finished up some sanding and vacuuming. A bit of clean up and a wash down with the water hose .. Got the AC going cause it’s Florida and needed . Putting up tent now get filter going let things settle a bit before final wipe and tack rag ...
The Admiral has some sliders cooking so lunch before getting a brush wet ...:)

zool

Captain
Looking great!...

I sometimes find that firing up a vac makes things worse, maybe just wet the floor and go at it.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Wet floor for sure. I like two blow it off with an air nozzle while I wipe it down with a rag. Let it set for 10 miniute LIGHTLY tack it off, then shoot it. The water goes a long way on knocking the dust down

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yeah painting seems much more forgiving . But varnishing is a whole different animal .. At least for me ...
‘No mater how clean I think I have things I still end up with some dust particles .. Would reg rubbing compound and wax take care of some of the imperfections.. I really hate to wet sand . I hate to loose that shine .. I have 9 coats on the topside now and will probably let that ride till after the show . Then I can take some time for another coat or 2 . If I had used a filler stain on the sides it wouldn’t have been so hard for all the divots and rough grain of the veneer to fill in ..
I got a week and a couple days to be ready .. I will be towing it down there with the camper so I am having a rear view/backup camera installed . The kids will drive down Friday afternoon with the suv .. It’s about a ten minute ride from the campground to the park so I guess I’ll call a cab or something .. Maybe they rent scooters idk ..
I’ve never towed with a camper before so a little nervous.. Probably no big deal ...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Getting ready for the paint in the bilge ... Taping up and covering up is a pain Fingers crossed 2 coats of primer tomorrow then 2 coats of finish the next day .. Trailer is almost ready just have to finish hooking up the lights and mount the winch post and rollers . Then we can slide it under the boat and adjust the bunks and wp ...
E4188D6C-1ED1-4C48-89CE-831361C68C26.jpeg