1950's Wagemaker Wolverine wooden boat restoration ...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Glad you stoped by Mick it was good to see you again ! Hope JIA wasn’t to bad to get in and out of there !
Yep maybe next time we can plan something ...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Coat # 8 on the top side is done ! Probably put 2 more on and call it good .. Then I need a good sanding on the inside and probably do a few more coats and stop at around 7 .. A few coats on the seats also .. Hope to get a good bit of trailer prep done this weekend . Got the parts that needed welding back from the guy down the street. Looks pretty good !
I plan on using epoxy primer on the bare metal . At least 1 coat then some high build primer .. I need to figure out where I’m gunna shoot the paint at .. I would use the garage but the boat is in there . I may just move the Mfg and Chris’s boat out from under the back cover and do it there .. Bad thing is it’s still a dirt floor in that area .
? Should I bondo the bare metal or bondo over the epoxy primer ..

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Not sure about he bondo, but spraying everything in the area down with the water hose before paint helps a ton. I’m sure you already knew that though. :D

oldrem

Commander
I applied the bondo and sanded before priming on my trailer fenders. Worked for me

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I do have some 1/4’ ext type sheathing I can put down over the dirt and also give if a spray with water Ciera .
Yeah I guess the bondo should probably go on first .
I need to locate some chrome hub caps and I’m short 1 center roller pin . The pins I can get on eBay but I think they only sell them in a set of 7 .. 120 bucks I think ..

zool

Captain
Epoxy primer under the bondo areas, then fair, then seal it all with epoxy primer, then the build primer and paint.

Filler can cause rust from trapped moisture, the epoxy protects from that

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
What type of roller pin? We have a large trailer parts warehouse down the street. Redneck trailer supply is the name. I could see if they have a single pin and mail it to ya.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a good metal etch primer, then a good primer sealer, then if you want to add bondo, then a hi-build primer, then sand it all smooth, primer again, then your top coat.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys ! IIRC the guy at the paint store said to epoxy first before bondo .
I only got a quart of the epoxy .. Hopefully I can squeeze 2 coats out of the can . Some parts won’t need any filler .
I did get a gallon of the build primer .
‘I have the main rail sanded and I sprayed some rusto metal primer on it after a acetone bath to help keep it from rusting back while I get to the other parts .

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
What type of roller pin? We have a large trailer parts warehouse down the street. Redneck trailer supply is the name. I could see if they have a single pin and mail it to ya.

This is the pin . I may just replace them all with the stainless idk . It’s a shame I’m missing just 1 .
I have seen where they use rubber hose over the plastic part of the roller. It’s missing that plastic part so not sure how I can replicate it ..https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tee-Nee-bo...799077&hash=item20ce6e28bf:g:7RkAAOxyqUpQ5CBs

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Looks like something that could be turned on a lathe Sam. Maybe Nylon or UHMD then put on with a press fit? Or is the plastic suppose to spin on the steel shaft? Also they make pourable plastics if you could make a mold around the shaft. Never used any but there are some videos out there on it.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I need to pull the old rollers out still . Then we can get a better look at them . But I believe the pin does not roll . The one side of the pin is flattened out on both sides and that fits in a slot in the main rail ..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I’m having a hard time figuring out how to remove the handle and non-original “wheel” from the winch stand .
‘Everything looks to be pressed on . I’ll get some close up pics tomorrow and maybe you guys will have some suggestions ..
I might leave it on there if I can get it prepped for paint around it . Idk ... 77D1BA8D-FD94-474C-8E7A-10B495FC09CA.jpeg

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
im just upset you aren't doing the repairs the old way with lead :) i mean keeping with the year of manufacture:) im sure the trailer will look as awesome as the boat does so far:)

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If that’s the non original wheel, I wonder what the original looks like? Wood spoked maybe?:lol: