1950's Wagemaker Wolverine wooden boat restoration ...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
They are bolts about 3 inches long or so .. I have been looking for my long skinny nail set that I cant find ...
Maybe I could push them through with the right punch .. I was able to pull a few of them out but these things are in there good .. My first big challenge ! :lol:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Punch em out 1 way or da utter. Reuse location so strip repositions back to original. So the bolt heads are exposed on the other side? probably has some adhesive in there plus age.
How bout some direct pencil tip heat?
Pencil Butane Torch

Pencil Butane Torch
$5.49 from Esslinger.com
95% positive (6,371)
This remarkable little torch produces a flame up to 2000°F and is adjustable to an extra fine point. It operates on standard ...
9k=
9k=

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Umm kc you do know this is a very dry wood boat right ? Somehow taking a torch to it might not seem doable .. idk..:watermelon:
Me thinks I'll start with a punch ...
When re installation happens do you think just using some 5200 wood be the right sealant ?
Yep bolt heads are exposed inside the boat ...I may try and counter sink them on the reinstall though idk ...

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yea I know it wood.:joyous:.. Thats why I suggested a pencil tip. It's micro so easy to focus on meatal bolt head. Just throwing things out there. Feeling your pain.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Sam
Your boats bottom hull plates are Plywood Right??? If so then I still recommend Epoxy. If she's REAL wood then we'll need to rethink.
Your bolts are Rust Frozen. You might try a spray bottle of white vinegar and give it a good soaking and let set for 3-4 days Vinegar is a BIG rust killer.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Woody the hull of coarse is ply .. The strips are some type of metal .. I almost think they are zinc . They feel pretty soft . Pot metal maybe but I don't think so . For some reason they are positioned offset about 3 inches or so from the transom .. One is shaped different than the other on the ends . The one with the angled end is a little longer than the other as if this one was replaced at some point and they didn't bother making them match .idk ..
I could make them match length and shape with no problem if I wanted but would need to drill new holes ..
The front bow metal strips are in 2 pieces .. I think one of those has been replaced also .. I really would like to find a new replacement for that one if I can to make it one piece .. 001.JPG

oldrem

Commander
I doubt if they'd be zinc. Those look extruded, and you can't extrude zinc.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
They could possibly be of different lengths to try and counteract the prop torque? IDK

oldrem

Commander
You got me on that one oldrem .... Is zinc magnetic ?

No, not magnetic. And it's not soft. Bad alloys can be brittle, hence the bad reputation of "pot metal", Proper casting alloys can make parts lighter and far stronger than plastics. I've been involved in the metal casting industry for 49 years.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
They could possibly be of different lengths to try and counteract the prop torque? IDK

I thought about that as a possibility . But just for a small runabout with a 22.5 hp motor it doesn't seem like it would make much difference . idk .
The metal is magnetic and really heavy .. I got all the bolts out but 1 on one side but the other side they just aren't budging ..
I feel like i'm just beating the boat to pieces ..:lol:

oldrem

Commander
I thought about that as a possibility . But just for a small runabout with a 22.5 hp motor it doesn't seem like it would make much difference . idk .
The metal is magnetic and really heavy .. I got all the bolts out but 1 on one side but the other side they just aren't budging ..
I feel like i'm just beating the boat to pieces ..:lol:

If there is no sign of rust, it may be a magnetic stainless

oldrem

Commander
Have them powder coated. They'll stay nice for years if done right.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
they look like the Taco Marine half-round stainless rub strips...... and yes, stainless is not stain free.... it does rust.

oldrem

Commander
Lower alloy stainless (magnetic stainless) does contain sufficient iron to produce some surface rust. Higher alloy stainless with lower carbon, higher nickle, [SIZE=-1]chromium and molybdenum content should never rust.[/SIZE]