Restoring a boat with the intention of selling it.

jbcurt00

Staff member
No resale value unless you find someone w a similar size and shape bow.

Why not putting it back on? Thought it was a restore for a buddy?

Hence the flipping bench seats and console parts over to expose the unweathered side of it?

And buying new gunwale wood strips?

Whats the plan now?

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Well I pulled off the aluminum skin and saw it was plywood underneath so I figured what the heck I have been wanting to do a wood on tin boat. I will put new white oak gunnels on it and the bow cover will be mahogany instead of aluminum.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I also finally did a compression test on the 55hp selectric today and it was all good, so the motor may be worth fixing instead of replacing.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I guess once I figured I could do a wood bow cover I decided to keep it. Like I said I have wanted to add wood to a tin boat with the existing wood bench seats a nice wood bow cover will look nice.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
No Title

Few updated pics from the weekend

Attachments

• photo257542.jpg
    photo257542.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo257543.jpg
    photo257543.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 0

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
You may want to keep that piece of plywood from the bow as intact as you can if possible. It might be handy for a template for your new mahogany or to reuse the aluminum. With my old StarCraft I got it removed in one piece. the few staples it was fastened with were either rusted off or pulled through. I had to just replace the tip of the bow plywood where water got between the bow casting and the aluminum skin. Keep the photos and the effort coming, she's worth it.
​Dale

DeepCMark58A

Commander
The plywood is pretty soft and broke down on one side, I figured I could flip the aluminum skin upside down and trace around that to mark the new front plywood.

ssdale

You bet. Man, do your pictures look familiar to me! That dash is mahogany and looks to be in great shape. will clean up like new with furniture stripper IMHO Have you got heat in there?
Dale

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Yep the garage is heated don't think it has been much under 50 all winter in the shop. Going to take a lot of sanding and I am going to try to save all the original wood possible. No need to strip the wood the sealer originally applied is gone. Will start with 60 grit and work up to 150 grit plenty of quality time with the palm sander.

Last edited:

DeepCMark58A

Commander
SS I was going to send a PM but my question is something other restorers would be interested in. Do you recall the paint you used when you repainted the interior floor?

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I started a notebook with the project, sure pictures are great but side notes and materials used and cost will be nice to have written down, along with sketches of rework will all be helpful only takes a minute to write it down, guess that is one of those things thats comes with age, you don't seem to recall as accurately and writing it down is like measuring twice and cutting once.

ssdale

SS I was going to send a PM but my question is something other restorers would be interested in. Do you recall the paint you used when you repainted the interior floor?

​Opening a BIG can of worms with this topic:nono:. I couldn't find the right color in the machinery paint or rustoleum aisle, so I went to Sherwin Williams and they recommended Valspar Duramax Exterior in semi-gloss. It has proven to be a good choice and they had just the colors that I envision the original interior floor had. You can see the original color up under the bow flotation box. The colors I picked are called "Tropical Hideaway" and "Fish Story"- true story! One is a little darker than the other and ​I don't remember how much of each I ended up using in the recipe, but I got a quart of each and a carton of the coarsest sand they had to mimic the original sand finish floor which was in unbelievably good shape compared to the wood components. A quart will do your floor easy.
http://
​Enjoy it while its fresh because it will never look that good again after use!
Dale

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Kinda something different on my boat I just noticed, my back seat has a bracket on the side of the boat to hold the side of a back rest on the bench seat.

ssdale

According to the 1958 brochure on this site, the Speed Queen had only one back bench and indeed did have a back rest. I thought that we had that confirmed with your 13' something length and single back seat.?? Mine is 16 ft Super Constellation- 2 benches, no backrest.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Wonder why they didn't go with the back rest option on your model? Who wouldn't want backrests?

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Still have a while before I get to the point of figuring out what to do with the wood bow cover but I am still looking at options. The mahogany plywood I have been looking at is pretty even with no grain in other words boring. I will need to dress it up a bit with trim, being a tin boat I was thinking about aluminum along the top edge and perhaps a piece of trim up the middle of the bow cover, will be a challenge with the windshield but would be a nice way to blend the wood with the rest of the boat.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Does your mahogany plywood supplier offer it in ribbon stripe? Okoume and Sapele are both great subs for mahogany and Sapele comes in ribbon stripe too.

If price were no object, mahogany and holly plywood would look great on the bow too.