1995 astro bass boat

hareymike

Cadet
I recently purchased a 1995 astro S 17B bass boat. In excellent shape. Always garage stored. Looks like its only a couple years old not 21.
I noticed there is always water in the bilge, just a bit from waves or water ever coming over the boat. The way it is designed it never completely drains.
Does water sitting in the bilge, and its only a inch of water at he most, cause any fibreglass problems.
Also, I think I may paint the bilge area this winer, any suggestions on painting.
thanks
Mike

hareymike

Cadet
Has a bilge pump, but doesnt pump it dry. Just wondering if water will degrade the fibreglass.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If it does your entire boat is in trouble.:D But to answer your question...NO it won't. Can you run the Bilge pump manually? It should pump it all out but it won't come on automatically for just an inch of water probably.!!!

hareymike

Cadet
Ya runs manually too. Just the way the boat is designed there is always some water that can't be pumped out. I won't worry about it then. But will probably paint the bilge area this winter just for my peace of mind. Thanks for the help.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
harveymike, Unless the actual bilge drain outlet is even or a little lower then the actual bilge area, it is never going to pump all the water out. There will always be a little water remaining. And that is because of how bilge pumps are designed. They can't design the pumps to get to the very bottom of the bilge area because the impeller wouldn't move. But there shouldn't be gallons of water either. That is why most folks park their boats bow up with the bilge drain open. So if rain gets in, it will drain out by gravity. JMHO