1987 Starcraft Islander Rebuild w/ 3.0 L Mercruiser

JDH-GL

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone,

I bought an Islander last fall and have slowly been working on it throughout the winter. It's getting essentially a complete rebuild - anything wood has been tossed and the vinyl panels as well as anything carpeted was in poor shape. Today I also made arrangements to get another Islander hull that comes with a hardtop (no motor in this one). I'm not exactly sure how I'll be proceeding from here, but the idea is to either swap the hardtop onto the other boat, or move the motor to the other hull. One of these boats will undergo a conversion to outboard power - so I'm not sure which one yet either. I've set myself a timetable of about 6 months to get one of these boats ready for the water.

For now, I'll just keep working on the first boat - I'm cleaning out the remnants of the foam right now, and need to remove the motor/outdrive/transom still.

My first question is: what do I need to get replaced on the Mercruiser motor/outdrive to safely put the boat back in the water? Keep in mind this boat has not seen water in about 5 years.

Only 2 pictures for now:

MyW1ZCb.jpg

Ozu89ME.jpg

Last edited:

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Nice find on the hard top on. Saw that on cl and wish i had the time and money for another one to redo.

64osby

Admiral
Nice pick-up on the second one (although it is still listed on CL).

Have fun and best of luck on the rebuilds.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
For questions about the Mercruiser and getting it ready for spring, it would be best to post motor/outdrive questions in the Mercruiser forum.

After 5 idle years my short list in no particular order, would be oil/filter change, belt change, check for water in the oil, bellows check/change, gimbal bearing check, check alignment, new plugs, new impeller, change lower unit lube, check the throttle/shift cables and pressure test the lower unit. New plug wires and cap/rotor/points fit in the list somewhere, as well. Some of these will be done since the motor/outdrive is coming out anyway. All these are after you see if she runs before taking out the motor!

It looks like my short list for the motor is the same as my long list. :D

It may be too early to pick a hull for the hardtop swap if you go that way.

JDH-GL

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys. The sale is just an agreement right now - and won't be final until I pay up!

That's a good list for the motor. The Mercruiser was running good last fall before I winterized it. I'll be sure to check out the other forum when it comes to engine work later on. For now I know the oil is new and I'll change it again once I get a boat put back together. Lower unit lube has been changed. New points have been installed.

I'll see what condition both hulls are in once I get them fully stripped out. I'll make my decision then.

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If I might make a suggestion on your engine, if it has been sitting for 5 years (if I read that correct) I would recommend an overhaul. As I was building my boat, I found a crack in the #3 cylinder wall. I almost bought a new engine before I found a machine shop that could repair.

GM has shut down production on the 3.0 block as of November 2015. The remaining new engines, per numerous dealers I spoke with, will be sold at the new price of $4000.00 and up.

If I was in your shoes, I would go ahead and disassemble the engine and go thru it. If nothing needs machine work you can get all new internals from Clegg Engine for less than $500 shipped to your door. Nothing would be worse than you rebuild the entire boat to find a bearing, seal etc was bad from sitting and your engine "frags out" causing you to buy a new one at this crazy price. Just thought I would give you some food for thought.

Good Luck with your project.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome to iboats and the Starmada!

Nice Islander finds. :thumb: I'm partial to I/O configs but not really in love with 4 bangers. Your islander would love a new 4.3L V6 :D

JDH-GL

Seaman Apprentice
Mods: Do you want to move this thread to the Starcraft forum?

I've decided to finish cleaning out the first Islander I bought. From what I've seen the hull is in excellent shape except for 2 leaking rivets. I haven't found any real corosion/cracking or other problems yet. I'll be working on changing this boat into an outboard boat. I'll also be changing the design considerably. I've decided I have no use for the cuddy, so I'm going to be changing the boat into more of a west coast style boat (think Hewe's / Kingfisher style with a hardtop). I'm strictly a fisherman and could use the extra deck space. I'll be getting a marine shop to install an offshore style bracket as well as an outboard (200hp). Anyone want a running 3L mercruiser? Haha. This project might take a while - but I'm not too worried about it. I'm getting my fishing fix in still with my smaller boat.

Another picture after the day I picked up Islander #1
f8u0bOo.jpg

Both of my boats together. I semi-rebuilt the Lowe last winter.
23ZgwAz.jpg

Starting to tear things apart.
58ZlKcl.jpg

More mess.
kvMOnzE.jpg

And some more.
WDWyPAS.jpg

Ready to remove some foam.
akt99Gb.jpg

Most of the foam removed. Replaced with snow...
cLS4Ile.jpg

Pulled the motor.
VH7dsza.jpg

Started repainting the trailer. I was using an angle grinder with sand paper to clean off the rust. I'm using the rust-reforming primer - and then topping with the white. Doesn't have to be perfect, but I think the section came out pretty good.
IWWqsNZ.jpg

Buddy of mine with the King Possible's first catch of the season.
LxFrhek.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member
Only if you want it moved. Up to you

Here or the Starcraft forum...

JDH-GL

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone. My timetable of six months obviously got extended a bit. I'm going to try to get on the water in April or May. I have the boat compltely cleaned out and I've started working on the cabin alterations. I shortened the cuddy ceiling by 6 inches or so, giving me an additional 1 foot of deck space in the back. I'm planning on some more work still, but I'll wait until I get a new transom back in and floor section done - and get a new motor up and running.

About the delay - the main reason is that I didn't have the money for a repower. So I waited until I found a used motor I wanted to buy. I ended up buying a Boston Whaler with two 200 up carburated Yamaha outboards. They run and have compression at about 130 psi. Hopefully I'll be able to keep you updated better as I work towards getting this boat done.

I sold the Mercruiser i/o setup.

With the warm weather forecasted next week I'm hoping to get some work done.

Last edited:

Watermann

I'm a bit confused here. No money for a repower but you bought a Boston whaler with 2 x 200s :eek: Even the smallest Whaler commands a huge price so I'm not sure what direction you're going here with the Islander. :confused:

JDH-GL

Seaman Apprentice
I got what I would consider a very good price on the Whaler. The hull does have about 1000-1500 lbs of water weight absorbed into the foam - so it would need a ton of work.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
I haven't quite figured out the direction of this rebuild (or rebuilds) but with two Islanders and what sounds like a bunch of modification going on, I'm in:thumb:

JDH-GL

Seaman Apprentice
I went and picked up some marine plywood at Menards today. I thought I bought the correct stuff for the 1:2:1 sealer with linseed oil, mineral spirits and spar urethane.

I tried to mix it up and it turns out the urethane is a water-based formula? Obviously this didn't mix at all with the oil based materials, but I seem to have worked it into the plywood. I'll go look at the store again - and see if there's and oil based formula.

A few pictures:

om4IwrI.jpg

9J6Sozq.jpg

5MEulf0.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
I remember running the numbers once comparing the cost of spar urethane v. epoxy (US Composites) and the epoxy seemed to actually come out as the better deal (plus a much better product). No doubt the spar urethane is more convenient to get your hands on.

Watermann

I dunno about that a gallon of spar is half the cost of a gallon of epoxy resin and goes twice as far :confused: Better product if no sun hits it and if you mix it right at the right temperature. I've seen too many guys spend big money on the resin and have to scrape it off.

Anyway I use the oil based Helmsman Spar

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Correct. But, here's the rub, you need more than twice as much spar to make the equivalent of what epoxy will give you. Seewhattamean.

Yah, gallon of Helmsman Spar Varnish is about $60. Gallon of US Composites epoxy (plus 42 oz. of hardener) is $71.

Last edited:

Pusher

Lieutenant
I like the direction you're going with the fishing machine. I take it you're going to rebuild the other Starcraft after harvestig it's guts and then sell it at cost?

I have been wanting to do what you're doing so I'm climbing aboard if you don't mind.

Any pics of the roof modification?

Watermann

Correct. But, here's the rub, you need more than twice as much spar to make the equivalent of what epoxy will give you. Seewhattamean.

Yah, gallon of Helmsman Spar Varnish is about $60. Gallon of US Composites epoxy (plus 42 oz. of hardener) is $71.

Well yah I heard that epoxy resin is made with ethanol and cheap motor oil :lie: :heh:

I have no idea why they make water and or oil based of spar. As everyone knows oil and water don't mix. I didn't even know they made water based spar.

I just remembered another water based product to warn you about for future reference. When or if you paint, Rusto makes an aluminum primer and it IS water based stuff and the Rusto Pro paint is an oil based alkyd enamel. So you know.