Will my car tow this 1800LB boat safely class one hitch

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Will my car tow this 1800LB boat safely class one hitch

Stay away from the honda, the astos are good vans especially for towing, but a pain to work on, i would look for an older one with the tbi 4.3 im not a big fan of the spider injectors especially in an astro. Have you thought about an suv? Like a jeep or blazer?

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Enterprise Car Rental has a commercial division in the medium size and larger cities renting all kinds of trucks, including 1/2 tons.

Some Ford Authorized Dealer Rentals also have 1/2 and 3/4 ton pickups in rental service as a selling tool. Their rates are often pretty good.

thebrain

Banned

I’ve been concidering a SUV so here’s a couple ?s on the 2000 Toyota 4Runner.4 wheel drive
1.w/ a 5 speed manuel trans. An cruising on the expressway (on flat land actually 950’ altitude down to sea level) would the the trans. Have to be in 4th gear?
Same ? however cruising on the expressway (on slite incline sea level Florida, to 950’
Altitude Atlanta).

I’m thinking cruising in 4th would reduce the MPG.

2.this 4runner is about 3900LBs which isn’t real heavy for it’s size however
183 horsepower and 217FT of torque seam kindof low to me. So how well will the 4runner tow the 2200LB starcraft?
I have’nt done much research yet on the 4runner however I’m assuming there are
Little if any horsepower parts available.

I kindof like feature of the rear window being able to roll down electrically, because I
Can’t forsee lifting the lift back w/ the trailer in the way.

I'm still concidering the Astro thinking it could be a tad uncomfortable w/ small footroom.

Now I'm thinking w/ a 4 wheel drive I could put in on a beach or a unconventionale spot.

edit: thinking a 2000 model or older did’nt have nurous recalls?

2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4dr SUV 3.4L V6 4x4 5-speed Manual Features and Specs

Last edited:

SigSaurP229

Commander

The 4runner shouldn't even blink an eye at the Starcraft, and with that mostly flat driving I wouldn't even bother turning off the overdrive. It surely won't win any races but it will do the job.

I would also consider a Nissan Xterra/ Pathfinder, that is only based on my experiences in towing with a Frontier. They have the same basic frame and chasis set up. The Frontier pulled my 28' Pontoon, a 16x18 storage building, and an F250 out of a ditch. Never the first problem in 7 years.

As far as Vans The Astro is definetly the way to go we have a whole fleet of them as maintenance vans, and they are all rock solid and get ABUSED hard every day going up and down some of the worst mountain roads in the Smoky Mountains.

Last edited:

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer

When in doubt put it in 4th gear. If you're towing a light enough load and have a transmission temp light you can get a little braver with towing in 5th gear.

Yes you will burn more gas in 4th gear on the freeway (I've tested it with my V6 4runner) but that extra gas is much cheaper than a trans rebuild.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

your towing capacity for the 4-runner is 5000#. with a manual tans, I would put synthetic lube in the trans and call it good.

Happy boating

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

As long as the 4 runner has the v6

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer

Oh manual trans. My post was about an automatic trans. Sorry, disregard.

thebrain

Banned

are you Guy's sure a 183horse power truck 4runner will tow a 2200LB rig preaty good?

did a little research on the 4runner it's know to have weak front brakes that the rotors will warp easliy whats recommended is swapping to tundra rotors and calipors which is a direct bolton I can't believe a 2000 toyota 4runner has drum rear brakes as for braking will the 3900LBs of the truck help in stopping?

Scott Danforth it's been a while since I changed a manuel trans. fuild which wieght of synthetic lube would you suggest?

also would it be recommended to use synthetic lube in the front and rear diff.s and I believe the transfer case also requires fuild too correct?

edit: I would'nt mine putting around in a not such a in you'r face TA where everyone is staring at you there's so many 4runner's on the road it will be like flying under the radar.
Thanks TB

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

What weight of lube does your tranny need? should be in the manual. some ran on gear lube, some on ATF, and some on SAE 30

All mine take gear lube, and I have been useing Amsoil, having switched from Mobil 1 years ago

edit - doing a quick google search, your running gear lube. your trans calls for 75w90 or 80/90 per the valvoline pdf I pulled up

lrak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

are you Guy's sure a 183horse power truck 4runner will tow a 2200LB rig preaty good?

It would be plenty for me. I don't know about you. That was pretty typical power and braking 15 years ago. In Y2K the F150 had engine options of 205 to 260 horsepower and had drum brakes. Today the F150 has engine options of 302 to 411HP and rear disc brakes. In another 15 years decent tow vehicles might drive themselves on the interstates and get 30mpg when not towing. Its called progress. The old technology still works the same as it did when it came out.

You'd beat every loaded tractor trailer, bus, and nearly every pre-1986 family sedan in a drag race. You're not going to out accelerate any liter bikes or modern vehicles while pulling that trailer with that vehicle though. :)

bigdee

Commander

I think your getting a little carried away here. 2200# would be a cake walk for just about any SUV out there. HP has little to do with towing capacity anyway.

thebrain

Banned

I have decided aganist the 4runner.
I have'nt completely ruled out the Astro yet.

What do you you Guy's think about a Mini truck?
I'm really liking the 2nd gen 2 door blazer 1995-2005. the rear window opens and best of all the LSX V8 modern engine swap won't be to overly involved.

The 2 door Blazer is a very short wheel base vehical .and it's LENGTH is only14 ft. 8.8 in.

http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/blazer/2001/features-specs.html?style=100000586

Last edited:

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

brain,

FWIW, my wife has the 1999 4runner with the 3.4L V6, it towed our previous boat (Baja with a boat, motor and trailer weight of 2,500lbs) at an elevation of ~4,300'-6,000' without too much issue. No issue running highway speeds. The good: Full Frame, truck chassis stout drive train. The Bad: slightly underpowered. It can keep pulling up Monument Hill from 75mph to 95mph just fine; however, my 2007 Tacoma with the 4.0L (drum brakes too) will blow the doors off it.

The Chevy blazer's are decent little vehicles (I used to love the 4.3L V6) they have slightly more power...but not by a large margin! It'll be cheaper to purchase. MPG will be about the same. It's also on a ladder frame (like a truck). I'm not familiar with any major mechanical issue?

If it were me, I'd suggest a mid-sized truck (S-10, Dakota, T100) that way when something needs hauling (yard debris, furniture, rock, etc...). You've got the thing you need. All are available in at least extended cab so there's some room for more people...of course space is a premium!

Good Luck and happy hunting. I like the Astro van as well...that black one you posted is pretty cool!

~BRett

xjdriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have decided aganist the 4runner.
I have'nt completely ruled out the Astro yet.

What do you you Guy's think about a Mini truck?
I'm really liking the 2nd gen 2 door blazer 1995-2005. the rear window opens and best of all the LSX V8 modern engine swap won't be to overly involved.

The 2 door Blazer is a very short wheel base vehical .and it's LENGTH is only14 ft. 8.8 in.

2001 Chevrolet Blazer Xtreme 2dr SUV 4.3L V6 5-speed Manual Features and Specs[/ QUOTE]
The 4.3 v6 that comes in those blazers will tow the boat just fine.

Last edited: