Will my car tow this 1800LB boat safely class one hitch

banshee owner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Will my car tow this 1800LB boat safely class one hitch

do you really want to risk other peoples lives if something went wrong. its a 400 mile trip and alot of OTHER people will be around you on the road. as well as do you really want to chance tearing something apart on the car a simple repair could potentially cost more than a truck rental or using a suitable vehicle say one a friend has. Kick a buddy 50 or 60 bucks for gas and be safe. thats just my opinion:)

thebrain

Banned

Reguardless of the type of TV I?ve decided to go w/
hydraulic surge brakes, this appears to add a little length to the tongue thus reducing
TW.
TIE DOWN ENGINEERING Brake Actuating Couplers at West Marine
w/ Drum Brakes
TIE DOWN ENGINEERING Marine Coated Drum Brakes & Hubs at West Marine

What are the chance?s of this 21? trailers axel having brake mounts?

edit I forgot to mention the trans. is a built trans, 3 extra cluch packs 3 extra steels, 5 point axis planortary gear, beast sun shell.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

brakes ARE a good idea... trying to lengthen the tongue to reduce tongue weight is NOT a good idea..... the tongue weight is set based on the weight of the trailer and load... reducing it so you can pull it with a lightweight car is a good way to end up with an unstable trailer

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

even if the car has sub-frame connectors, 500 hp, and the biggest brakes on the planet and your extra clutch packs in the trans. The towing capacity I found in a quick search is 1000#. even if the towing capacity is 2000# your over that limit as well.

can the TA pull it - yes, it has enough HP to do so.
can the TA stop it - not sure
Is it legal in the eyes of the local LEO's or the insurance company if you get into an accident - NO

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Not trying to bash you here but it looks as if you came into this feeling like you already knew the answer to the question you asked.... problem is you are determined for it to be yes but in reality it is no... your car can not "SAFELY" tow your boat motor and trailer which btw weighs considerably MORE than the 1800 lbs you estimated

Last edited:

Based on the question (and the car) it sounds like the OP is fairly inexperienced at towing, and as a fellow inexperienced tower I would just like to say, go for it. I just towed a 21ft boat a little over 200 miles and had no problems. Few things are more exciting in your first tow than going up that first big hill, trying to find the happy medium between killing your transmission and rolling backwards. But if there is one thing thats more fun, its coming down that big hill, looking in your mirror and seeing the trailer swaying side to side (even if its only minor) probably making you sweat just a little more and only adding to the excitement of your first big tow! Nothing better than having to speed up just to slow it down. I will say that on a windy day the excitement only grows, as you feel the wind trying to push you into the other lane. So i say go for it, I made it just fine and the only difference between is, the boat I was pulling was about 3500lbs below my trucks capacity. I can only imagine how awesome it would be to do all this in a vehicle above its towing capacity. So if you decided to do it just make sure no one else is on the road. Maybe I'm just a little bit more chicken but I know where my towing skills are at and can't imagine how I would feel if someone else paid for my stupidity.

limitout

Banned

buy an old junker truck that still runs and just use it for the boat.

beyond the issues of traction you have parking lot vandalism and theft to worry about then there is the wear and tear on your nice car so don't punish your car like that, its not worth it.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Based on the question (and the car) it sounds like the OP is fairly inexperienced at towing, and as a fellow inexperienced tower I would just like to say, go for it. I just towed a 21ft boat a little over 200 miles and had no problems. Few things are more exciting in your first tow than going up that first big hill, trying to find the happy medium between killing your transmission and rolling backwards. But if there is one thing thats more fun, its coming down that big hill, looking in your mirror and seeing the trailer swaying side to side (even if its only minor) probably making you sweat just a little more and only adding to the excitement of your first big tow! Nothing better than having to speed up just to slow it down. I will say that on a windy day the excitement only grows, as you feel the wind trying to push you into the other lane. So i say go for it, I made it just fine and the only difference between is, the boat I was pulling was about 3500lbs below my trucks capacity. I can only imagine how awesome it would be to do all this in a vehicle above its towing capacity. So if you decided to do it just make sure no one else is on the road. Maybe I'm just a little bit more chicken but I know where my towing skills are at and can't imagine how I would feel if someone else paid for my stupidity.

you have a way with words..... welcome to iboats

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... I just wanta know where this boat is, 'n where he's towin' it to, 'n when,....

that way I'll know I won't be anywhere near there,....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You're a lot further away than I am. I'm on the lookout for silver T/A's totin' a barge.

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have been pulling trailers since I was 13 years old. I used a mustang GT to pull a total weight of 2000 lbs boat. I did that 1 time and that was enough. I doubt you will like what it does to your car. They werent made to have 200 pounds bouncing off a drawbar. You will hear it beating and twisting your less than solid frame. If you had to make some kind of emergency braking or swerve quick the boat will take over and you wont be making the decisions on where you are going to end up. A ditch or another mortorist or heck it might even straighten itself out but it the boat will decide.

thebrain

Banned

I have decided to not use the TA w/ the big aluimin boat don't want or need a pick up.

so now I'm researching TVs.
I kindof like the
1.2002 Honda Odysessy minivan front wheel drive 240 horse power. ( I've driven next to a few of these vans and socccermon was moving along preatty good. the Ody has a 3500LB tow rating. however has a known weak transmission which was recalled on 2001 and previous models. the Ody is kindof interesting being the new NY, NY taxie cab.

second two choices would be zero lucshoery.

2.1995-2005 chevy Astro van. rear wheel drive 200horse power 5000Lb tow rating.
3.last on my list the 2005 + Chevy express G1 w/ a 5.3 will concider a V6. also a 5000Lb tow rating.

Last edited:

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class

Personally I'd go with the Astro. I kind of always wanted to fix one up- lower it a little with some nice wheels and tires, etc. I would stay away from the 95's- I had a 95 Blazer and since it's a "transition year" vehicle it had half OBDI stuff and half OBDII. Had to buy a special plug for my scanner just to read the stupid thing. Also find out what years have the spider injection. It sucks so avoid those. Probably late 90's and newer would be safe. Other than that the 4.3 is a good engine. You should be familiar with the 4L60e...

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I had an astro 15 or so years ago.... crappy mpg but if it's mainly just a local tow pig then no biggy.... I SERIOUSLY abused mine and was always impressed with it.... the ONLY problem I ever had was the coolant temp sensor which is a very common issue..... ecm thinks engine is at like -50 degrees all the time and overfuels..... $14 and 5 minutes to fix

Mine was all black with no rear quarter windows and deep tinted windows.... had a KILLER stereo system and was the cruising vehicle of choice when we all went out on the town....

for towing the boat I would suggest finding one with the high roof and rv interior conversion... nothing like having a sink, stove, fridge, portapot, and bed available and maybe even a small window a/c cut into a rear door ready when you get done on the water friday...... rest up and hit it again saturday

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

even worse gas mileage but darn near luxury and would laugh at pulling that boat
1987 FORD E350 HIGHTOP CONVERSION VAN

00J0J_eS86ze8XIZC_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

thebrain

Banned

Personally I'd go with the Astro. I kind of always wanted to fix one up- lower it a little with some nice wheels and tires, etc. I would stay away from the 95's- I had a 95 Blazer and since it's a "transition year" vehicle it had half OBDI stuff and half OBDII. Had to buy a special plug for my scanner just to read the stupid thing. Also find out what years have the spider injection. It sucks so avoid those. Probably late 90's and newer would be safe. Other than that the 4.3 is a good engine. You should be familiar with the 4L60e...
here's nice a gen1

w/ a little modding the LS1 fits nicely into the Astro this is appealing a sleeper that you can actualley sleep in.
TB

I had an astro 15 or so years ago.... crappy mpg but if it's mainly just a local tow pig then no biggy.... I SERIOUSLY abused mine and was always impressed with it.... the ONLY problem I ever had was the coolant temp sensor which is a very common issue..... ecm thinks engine is at like -50 degrees all the time and overfuels..... $14 and 5 minutes to fix

Mine was all black with no rear quarter windows and deep tinted windows.... had a KILLER stereo system and was the cruising vehicle of choice when we all went out on the town....

for towing the boat I would suggest finding one with the high roof and rv interior conversion... nothing like having a sink, stove, fridge, portapot, and bed available and maybe even a small window a/c cut into a rear door ready when you get done on the water friday...... rest up and hit it again saturday
I've had Astros as rentels the long passenager type was surprised at the pickup for a big van I believe the long passenager vans have all wheel drive.

so what do you Guy's think of my first choice the Honda Odydessy?

edit:what kindof improvement airodimactically would a tight fitting cover make on a center console type boat?
TB

Attachments

• Washedup.jpg
    Washedup.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

so what do you Guy's think of my first choice the Honda Odydessy?

buy stock in transmissions. its an over-sized honda accord, it is not a towing vehicle

NYBo

Admiral

I found the driver's footwell in the Astro to be very narrow and uncomfortable.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

unless you plan to tow thousands of miles aerodynamic savings from a cover won't have any chance of being enough to matter.

the astro was available with awd but it is pretty rare and gets even worse mpg

If you want to hotrod one keep in mind that on many of them the rear leaf springs are fiberglass mono leaf and won't hold up to too much and also that it is a unibody vehicle... not saying it can't be done tho

for a much milder hotrod swap... a tbi 5.7 is a REALLY easy swap... motor mount plates, exhaust, fan shroud, and radiator hoses.... MAYBE an ecm swap BUT in the past I have swapped ecms between tbi trucks with 2.8's 4.3's and 5.7's with no difference in performance or mpg's about 80% of the time.... I still have a stack of about 10 of them left over from my past v8 s-10 projects

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry don't know much about the Odyssey other than the certain years that had trans issues. My girlfriend has a 99 Toyota Sienna and from what I've read on them they're pretty bulletproof except for possible sludge issues. The Sienna only has 36,000 miles on it though but no problems so far. I've never had a front wheel drive vehicle- I don't care for them. Like smokeonthewater said a tbi V8 is an easy swap if you want to play with it later on down the road. Lots of low RPM torque with that engine also. I always thought the Astro's had full frame's like the Blazer and S10 though- never knew they were unibody. I had a 91 S10 and put a 350 in it but I just threw a Holley 650 on top.