what kind of plywood is every one using

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer
Re: what kind of plywood is every one using

12 years ago I built my boat from mahogany, marine grade plywood (okoume) and (West System) epoxy resin. Actually, I completed the hull in 2000, but started on it a few years before then. The marine grade stuff and epoxy has worked very well for me. As has already been pointed out, it wasn't cheap, but I was interested in going for what I thought was the best.

The edges of plywood are particularly susceptible to moisture ingress. I learned that covering the face with fiberglass, and covering the edges with a trim board provides excellent protection. The following photo shows mahogany trim around the outside of the plywood. This transom (and the trim boards) is about 2" thick. The trim boards also give a level of protection against the inevitable dents and dings. Don't go cheap or light on the epoxy.

DSC01742.jpg

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

what kind of plywood is everyone using besides marine ply for floors and stringers

Whats the application ?

440 carvers probably want some properly prepped MG and Glassed over 7x ..

Any more info would be great ! Pics with the info would be even great !

YD.

panamacitymustang

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry I'll try to get some pics up this weekend. The boat is a 1991 regal velocity 23' I started a thread here a couple of months ago and it got some pics. It don't look bad in the pics but it got worst the more I cut away

boat_beginner

Seaman

I have seen the arauco wood at my local home depot, and it says on the wood it is cabinet grade ply. Is that the same stuff you all are mentioning? I have been watching this thread cuz I will be buying wood not to far from now and was wondering if I should use marine ply or something different.

vcaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is what I found at Lowes, the quality looked good. I haven't been to home depot yet, but will soon.

IMAG0230.jpgIMAG0231.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yep that's it. I have actually never seen Arauco at Home Depot but I think others have.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yep that's it. I have actually never seen Arauco at Home Depot but I think others have.

Yah, the only place I can find it around my neck of the wood is Menards. HD and Lowes are no good.

stalker14

Seaman Apprentice

HD Doesn't tell you what their ply wood is.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

The one thing I do like about the Arauco ply is it seems to hold its "flatness" when cut. Unlike other plys that start to warp when you cut them up to shape.

Ive never used Arauco for stringers or transoms I will admit..so no opinion on this end. However for a sole it seems to be a very good alternative to MG.

I think for a little boat like yours the Arauco ply would be just fine.

YD.

vcaptain

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm going to purchase my wood today at Lowes, but then I started thinking about drying it out, as so many have done here.

So I called some shops around town and asked about rates to kiln dry Arauco plywood. One guy said that the wood is for interior use, so it's already dry before they glue it up. He said he was not a boat builder, but had never heard of drying plywood, unless it was marine grade pressure treated wood. I'm waiting to hear from the other guy a I called.

Do you all agree? Is drying it worth the time/money???

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The Arauco I've used was very dry (as is pretty much any of the non-treated plywood I've seen)

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

I've always used Marine Grade on all my restore up till the Arauco came around, I've since started using it and really can't tell much difference. My biggy is warping when it's cut and like YD said this Arauco holds it shape well and stays flat, very, very few voids. It's a good product at a good price. Never thought I'd ever say this but I don't think I'll go back to Marine Grade after using this stuff. I like it really well...

Now in fairness, I've only used two sheets of the Arauco so can't give a lot of experience here, but I've used a ton of Marine Grade, and this stuff glasses and mills just like it...

CW

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I'm going to purchase my wood today at Lowes, but then I started thinking about drying it out, as so many have done here.

So I called some shops around town and asked about rates to kiln dry Arauco plywood. One guy said that the wood is for interior use, so it's already dry before they glue it up. He said he was not a boat builder, but had never heard of drying plywood, unless it was marine grade pressure treated wood. I'm waiting to hear from the other guy a I called.

Do you all agree? Is drying it worth the time/money???

Everything but treated wood is kiln dried, and marine grade treated plywood is kiln dried too.

"Do you all agree? Is drying it worth the time/money???"

Yes but I don't think you need to kiln dry. After you buy your wood you should store it in your covered area for about two weeks (which I think is the recommendation). Plywood coming in from HD or Lowes or lumber yards in general are production items. From woods the the store in the shortest time possible. It is usually still "damp" and most any woodworker will tell you to dry it first. The deal is... most of the uses of plywood are construction of houses, roofs, panels of some sort and all being nailed every 24". You are building a boat...not something most people do, so the suppliers are going to serve the masses...you ain't one of them. Your wood will be "glued" together, or just covered with resin/epoxy and glass. If it's wet/damp it will continue to dry but now encapsulated. Seems to me THAT could be a big problem.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I would highly recommend that you use the Arauco Plywood but...Let it acclimate to your Garage/Shop for a week before you cut and or install it. That's the norm for any wood.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

I would highly recommend that you use the Arauco Plywood but...Let it acclimate to your Garage/Shop for a week before you cut and or install it. That's the norm for any wood.

I'm impressed Woody, "acclimate" now thats a fancy word... Down here is North Carolina that means let it get used to the air in the shop.... ;)

dwhite1031

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I ran into plywood issues when replacig my entire travle trailer floor......yeah..it's ALMOST as fun as rebuilding a boat.....anyway, I used Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealant (CPES) from the ROT Doctor. It's a two part mix and it not only seals plywood or any wood, it also makes it stronger. It's a bit pricey, but doing it right has no dollar value to me. Just my experience and my 2 Pesos.