Whale wars boat sinking

Status
Not open for further replies.

noworries79

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Whale wars boat sinking

Clearly both Captains are at fault for this one. The whaling ships are fast and very agile and it looks like the ship turns starboard while the bat mobile is at idle as if to "play chicken". The smaller boat does look like it engaged the throttle right before impact though. I am not at all defending these loons in the bat mobile, that's just how it looked to me. This is Waaayyy out of hand.

Here's another collision from the goons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_b_IYQMSvM

jonesg

Admiral

It takes a heart of stone not to laugh. :rolleyes:

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

"Japan abandoned commercial whaling in 1986 after agreeing to a global moratorium; but international rules allow it to continue hunting under the auspices of a research programme.

Conservationists say the whaling is a cover for the sale and consumption of whale meat. Current Japanese programmes aim for a total catch of more than 1,000 whales per year."

Makes me wonder what the findings of this "research programme" are.

"My understanding is that a treaty is not law, and it only affects those signatories of the treaty.

Japan is not a party to any such treaty."

As stated above Japan abandoned whaling in 1986......yeah right. Now they just drag nets along the bottom of the sea and "harvest" everything they can. Some of these nets are literally a mile long and wide.

The CNN video states that "some of the meat end up on tables and in markets". Sounds to me like they are doing more than research on these animals.

QC

Supreme Mariner

In the six years that we've been doing this, we've never caused an injury to anyone, we've never broken a law... and now they have sunk one of our vessels
How can deliberately trying to foul another boats propellers not be illegal? Maybe it's not, but the only way to evaluate this type of thing is with facts, and it would sure seem to me that fouling another boat's propeller, regardless of what the other boat was doing, should be or is illegal . . .

Last edited:

gonefishie

Commander

The CNN video states that "some of the meat end up on tables and in markets". Sounds to me like they are doing more than research on these animals.

To find way to improve brain power booster whale sushi so they can develope the technology that will saves the world: Non-combustion engine and water powered outboards. :D
In a nation where the majority of land is occupied by buildings with very little left for farming and raising livestocks. All food sources have to be utilize.

freeisforme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Telling a foreign culture or country that they can no longer have or harvest a food source they've relied upon for years don't seem right to me either.
Imagine if other countries all got together and banned the killing and eating of beef? Where would that leave the US and other beef eating countries?

Paul Watson appears to have no regard for his crew, he puts his misguided cause ahead of their lives.

The TV show repeatedly shows them dragging cable or rope across the path of the Japanese ships with intent to foul their props. From what I understand this can not only be a nuisance but it can indeed damage prop shafts and cause major hull damage and/or sinking risk. To me that constitutes a threat to the Japanese crew, meaning that the Japanese captain should have the right to do whatever is needed to protect his crew and ship.

I cannot believe that no charges have been brought against the activists, whether for this event or other acts of sabatage over the years.

How would you react if you were out fishing and some anti fishing idiot tried to ram or sink your boat, or foul your props? It wouldn't be long before you realized it was them or you.

Dunaruna

Admiral

The protesters got exactly what they wanted, international news coverage and a likely highly publicized court case.

cheburashka

Let's hope they get charged with some sort of poluting marine disaster and get forced to clean up the garbage and no doubt fuel/oil, etc that would get into the water as a result of the sinking.

"Mr Watson says they were able to remove all the fuel from the speedboat to prevent any pollution."

I support the cause, but Watson and his crew are so inept that it's absolutely embarrassing. I've watched a couple of seasons of the show, and the number of screw-ups is amazing. Forgetting to turn on the radio, getting stuck in the ice--all kinds of blunders.

It irritates me no end that the Japanese lie about their "research" while killing whales. but it also irritates me that the Sea Shepherds are so inept at virtually anything they attempt.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Seems to me the skipper of the Ady Gil forgot one of the basics. They were:
Don't tug on Supermans cape,
Don't spit into the wind,
Don't take the mask off the old Lone Ranger,

and the last one ... well, let me see - oh ya, it was.....
DON'T CROSS IN FRONT OF A LARGER VESSEL WHILE UNDERWAY AT HIGH SPEED - YOU MORONS!

In the Navy it's referrd to as causing a vessel to be willfully and wrongfully hazarded. Don't now if maratime law has an equivelant.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Seems to me the skipper of the Ady Gil forgot one of the basics. They were:
Don't tug on Supermans cape,
Don't spit into the wind,
Don't take the mask off the old Lone Ranger,

and the last one ... well, let me see - oh ya, it was.....
DON'T CROSS IN FRONT OF A LARGER VESSEL WHILE UNDERWAY AT HIGH SPEED - YOU MORONS!

In the Navy it's referrd to as causing a vessel to be willfully and wrongfully hazarded. Don't now if maratime law has an equivelant.
Yeah. I can appreciate being loyal to a cause, but what a reckless way to express it. Risking dozens of lives and trashing a $2mil boat.

I guess I just don't get the risk v. reward factor here.

cheburashka

Please elaborate, I would love to hear the logic.

I think if Japan is going to whale, they should have some cojones about it and not pretend they're doing research. What they're doing is hypocritical, unnecessary, and immoral, and with the exception of Watson et al. no one seems to be interested in calling them on it. So yes, I support the cause of calling attention to what Japan is doing, and I support any efforts within reason to stop them from killing more whales.

Of course, what Watson is doing is not within reason. He's a nut case.

86 century

Ensign

Don't know the law but if you attack my house or boat regardless of the body of water you will face what ever i think necessary to protect my crew(family). I don't know of anywhere you can intentionally damage property and not be held accountable. It is fun to watch the morrons though.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I think if Japan is going to whale, they should have some cojones about it and not pretend they're doing research. What they're doing is hypocritical, unnecessary, and immoral, and with the exception of Watson et al. no one seems to be interested in calling them on it. So yes, I support the cause of calling attention to what Japan is doing, and I support any efforts within reason to stop them from killing more whales.

Of course, what Watson is doing is not within reason. He's a nut case.

Agree........ And I'm not a tree hugger, animal rights activist by any stretch of the imagination...

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Folks gotta eat, I like cows the Japs like whale so be it.
Sounds like when Alaska became a United State and the US told the natives who had hunted those lands for thousands of years that they could only have a few fish now and had to hunt things in season.

cheburashka

Sorry, but I don't see that in any of the videos. I see one where it's very clear that the Japanese vessel (and for crying out loud folks--"Jap" is an ethnic slur and has no place in this discussion) makes a sharp turn and changes course to run over the Ady Gil.

Status
Not open for further replies.