Radials or non-radials?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Looking at 4 new tires for my tandem trailer.There is only about 13 bucks difference in the radials and non-radials. I was wondering what would be more stable at highway speeds. These are load range C trailer tires.
Any input?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Radials or non-radials?

Radials. They will get you better mileage, too.

tashasdaddy

we just put 4 on the Chris Craft, last weekend, same price for either here, balanced & tax, $298.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

OK! Suppose you get a flat. Can you use a non radial spare or is it like a car--don't mix tires.

tashasdaddy

it's fine. if you use it as a spare, and not keep driving on it. like i see people do with donut spares on cars. years ago, was with a friend who did'nt have a spare. tandem axle, of course we had a flat. jacked up axle. use bow line and strapped axle up, removed tire and limped home. how, unsafe was that. the funny thing is the friend was a tire dealer.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I run radials on a single axle, no problem. On tandems, if I have a heavy load I don't like the sidewall shifting I get with them in a turn.

So, it's either 10 ply radials or 6 ply bias for me.

Now, have I ever lost a tire because of sidewall flexing on a tandem......no!

So, what's the beef?

I just don't like it and just because I haven't doesn't mean I wouldn't in the future.

What's the point of all this?

I dunno!

Mark

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Radials have a huge advantage over bias ply tires in that they generate a lot less heat. This due to their lower rolling resistance. If you tow long distances, tow a heavy load and/or tow in very hot weather, the radials are the tires to get.

mystro

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So, it's either 10 ply radials or 6 ply bias for me.
Mark

I'm shopping and researching this now and noticed the ezloader single axl (2200# boat) has 205/70/15 6ply Goodyear Marathons which are likely just fine for safety with this load but when I change I will need to move up in size to get 8ply and I could not find a Marathon 10ply ST? Agreed, the sidewall flex on heavier loads should be a consideration and the bias ply are much stiffer and work excellent on trailers from what I've read in the horsetrailer forums.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I have never seen an "ST" 15" tire in a 10 ply rating.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I had to stick with 205-80-13...wanted a size bigger than the originals but would have to buy new rims and go with 14's....wasn't in my free gift card budget:mad: Oh well...got all new rubber and 60 miles is as far as i tow one way. The old tires crumbled when i broke the bead down on the tire machine,I can't believe they made the 110 mile trip to get the boat home:eek:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

The 10 ply I was referring to was not an ST; an LT tire that a lot of the jobbers run around here. I run the bias tires on my tandem, but it is not a boat trailer and sits in the yard most of the time. My boat runs on Load Range C, ST radials; single axle.

Mark