Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: water in the crankcase

In fresh water areas like where I live there are lots of good used manifolds to be had cheap, in fact I have never seen one rust through. If the boat is a 1987, the rest of the parts on that engine are used anyway...

It's not just for potential "rust-thru" where the problem is with used manifolds. It's also cracks from freeze damage.

That depends on why the boat was scraped in the first place.
That may be true but how do you really know why a boat was scapped? I just don't believe used junk salesmen. They never offer a "no questions asked money back guarantee".

Salt water or not, It's just not worth risking a $2000-5000 (replacement-cost) engine for a couple hundred dollar savings....

Bluestream

Petty Officer 1st Class

Most people are honest, I cannot imagine anyone selling a cracked manifold as being good. If you are concerned, ask seller to guarantee its not cracked..

I can buy an entire (1985-1989) boat, motor, (4.3) and trailer for $1000 to $1200. Sell the trailer for $500, sell lower gear case for $500, sell upper for $500, take boat to landfill pay $70 in fees. You now have a free engine. Or just buy the entire engine for $1000 already pulled

I can justify buying new parts for a new boat, but I would not spend $1000 on manifolds for a 23 year old OMC when used parts can be had for $100 or less.

To each his own, and the OP can do with his money what he likes.

45Auto

Commander

Joshua Nichols said:
It's so cute when you get nailed by the grammar and spelling Nazi's on this forum.. So correcting my mistake is the only info you could add??? Wow thanks

Actually it was a test to see if you had a sense of humor - obviously you don't! :D

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Instead of going with center risers and trying to redo everything they do make a replacement kit.Complete with bolts,gaskets and all. Install takes less than an hour.
I'll PM you the link...;)

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

Actually it was a test to see if you had a sense of humor - obviously you don't! :D

What you didn't think my reply was funny? I thought it was.. Even left u a punctuation mistake in there.. Guess u missed that one LMAO:D

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

Instead of going with center risers and trying to redo everything they do make a replacement kit.Complete with bolts,gaskets and all. Install takes less than an hour.
I'll PM you the link...;)

Thanks Gary... I found those too.. I been on the hunt.. Found a brand new one on E bay for $199 bucks, but darn it.. It's the wrong side.. I don't care for the winged suckers myself, and new looks to be the route.. Used ones are going to be 20 years or older.. How could a used set be any good.. Might get a year to a day out of them...

Hate to mothball the boat so soon since we still have a month of fun here, but looks to be the case.. The exhaust manifolds cost as much as I paid for the boat:p

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Such are the risks going with an OMC!

Obsolete Marine Corporation.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

Such are the risks going with an OMC!

Obsolete Marine Corporation.

It was worth the risk... It's a 87 Four Winns 170 Horizon.. Boat of the year back then for under $15000..(inflation is rough)You can't find a boat down here for $1000 to $2000 that's not rotted out POS... I have had plenty of fun with this one and it is in terrific shape. When I bought it I knew that I would end up having to replace them sooner or later.. It's a old boat... They are the original manifolds.. They way outlived their lifespan.. OMC yep outta business.. Don't recommend anyone but one.. Because you will get nonstop bashing on here. :D

I have had a few OMC outboards and all of them ran like a top.. All where very old.. One was even the dreaded electric shift 73 65hp.. Once I worked out the shift bugs it was a awesome engine... Guy I sold it to still is using it..

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

I would love to own a volvo penta btw.. Even better a duro.. Very well built stuff.. I would own a merc too just for the fact parts are cheap and can buy em everywhere..

I will live with what I have.. It's all this poor boy could afford at the time..

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

It's so cute when you get nailed by the grammar and spelling Nazis on this forum.. So correcting my mistake is the only info you could add??? Wow thanks

ACTUALLY.......... This sounds a little tiny bit ..... snotty,,,,,, But you didnt ask my opinion- so nevermind;):):D

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

ACTUALLY.......... This sounds a little tiny bit ..... snotty,,,,,, But you didnt ask my opinion- so nevermind;):):D

Well that's because I had to church it up for the forum:D I had a English teacher who would moan about my spelling and what not too but it did no good as you can see:p

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Well that's because I had to church it up for the forum:D I had a English teacher who would moan about my spelling and what not too but it did no good as you can see:p

:) Its all good fun Skipper.... Happy Boatn;) :D!

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Heck,My old boat had the 4.3 Cobra. I bought it for 1800 bucks.
Good solid hull.
A full tune up and some odds and ends repairs and it ran like a top for 2 years until i sold it.
The buyer still has it and has had no problems...good old boat.
I sold it for 4500...;)

Now all i have is my 1100 dollar Ebay boat...:D

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

For your boat I would look for some used manifolds. I have seen them for around $30 or less. eBay will be more expensive, Craigslist a better bet.

$30... More like $300.. For 20 year old manifolds... Someone want my busted one for $150?:rolleyes:

Bluestream

Petty Officer 1st Class

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Why would you possibly want to risk a $3000 engine on used manifolds.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

My engine is worth $3000? I should yank it out and sale it.. Buy another 3 boats.. :D I am not risking anything.. Only maybe have a few weeks left to this season.. By spring I can dump a grand on the tub.. The used ones cost too much... Might as well get new with warranty..

Bluestream

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, its your money, and you can do whatever you want with it...

Status
Not open for further replies.