vro do i premix

sean64

Cadet
johnson 60hp 3 cylinedr vro. can someone tell me how it works. And do i remix with 50:1. THANK FOR YOUR TIME

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: vro do i premix

what year and model as there are different pumps.

sean64

Cadet

hi bktheking said at a guess 1992+. Donot know model

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

No you should not premix if the VRO system is still fully operational

As you have already discovered from your question on Worldseafishing.com VRO means variable rate oiling.
Oil goes in the oil tank and gasoline (petrol) in the gas tank.
The VRO pump mixes them in the right proportions. The proportion varies with the speed, more oil at high speed, less at low speed, hence the "variable" part of the name.

BUT BUT BUT VRO has got itself a bit of a bad name, unjustly perhaps, but nevertheless some owners disconnect the oil system and run on a 50:1 premix.

If the oil pump is still all hooked up try it but be sure it is all working.
It might be safest to put some 50:1 premix in the gas tank to begin with, the extra oil wont hurt, until you know for sure than the oil pump is working.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Just my 2 bits worth (I exspect change) but i'd plug the VRO & pre-mix :rolleyes:

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Before deciding to disconnect a VRO system (or OMS, Oil metering system) it is worth reading THIS ITEM on the engine FAQs board.

With lack of formatting it is difficult to read but it does discuss some of the reasons VROs have unjustly got a bad reputation. It describes the operation of the VRO and offers some advice on overhaul and repair where this is genuinely necessary.

If disconnection is the chosen route then see THIS SHORT ITEM, also on the Engine FAQ board.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Plug in your model and off you go.
The point is he does not know the model number! Previously, look back at his earlier posts, http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=359366 where he produced some general pictures which have lead to the conclusion that is 1992 or later.

nobody pin the livery down more precisely?

1000440j.jpg

sean64

Cadet

i will look at the weekend and get back to you all. Thanks for all your help. If the outboard has bin running for a long time with the VRO working and the remix in the fuel tanks Could that have something to do with its loss of power at high rev