Under Construction: Bateau.com TW28 Stretched

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Im a firm believer in Deutsch connectors myself for panels meeting wire looms.

KnottyBuoyz

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Im a firm believer in Deutsch connectors myself for panels meeting wire looms.

I looked at a few. Was looking for a ribbon type connector like used to be in older computers for attaching hard drives etc. Couldn't find any that suited the application. Still a while before I get to the point of installing this so if you can point me in the proper direction I'd appreciate it.

KnottyBuoyz

Another good day in the boat shed. Started about 09:00 and cleaned up the fabric edges from the keel work day before yesterday. I played hookie from the boat shed yesterday. Sanded, vacuumed, wiped & laid out the fabric and it was lunch time. After a wee break got back to it. By 14:30 I was done.

spacer.gif
IMG_0810.jpg

Used about 1-3/4 gallons of epoxy to wet out that strip which is about 28' long by 4' wide. Sort of found my rhythm though working with this stuff. Tomorrow the port sides. I'm not 100% positive I have enough 12 oz glass left. *fingers crossed.

Web log updated with more pics. http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/09/port ... layer.html

Standby...

KnottyBuoyz

Port side second layer laid down and gooped!

spacer.gif
IMG_0811.jpg

That lil' piece of fiberglass is 15' 6" long and 4' wide! It sucked up almost exactly 1 gallon of epoxy. I'm getting better at my squeegee technique.

I usually mix 1 pt of epoxy at a time but decided to give mixing a quart a shot today. It's nice and mild out, low 70's so I knew there was little chance of it kicking off in the bucket. It worked pretty well. Fewer runs to the sticky stuff machine.

spacer.gif
IMG_0812.jpg

That's two quarts on and two to go.

After about an hour and 20 minutes it's all glued down. The step in the hull where the bulwarks join the hull sides is a real PITA. The wetted out glass wants to slide down the side of the hull and this leaves a 'bridge bubble' in its wake.

spacer.gif
IMG_0813.jpg

I'll be on bubble watch for a few hours till the epoxy decides it wants to hold everything in place! PITA!

So the big question of the day is: Do I have 'nuff 12 oz to do the rest of the port side?

Hmmm? Well I dunno yet. We'll find out soon enough!

Standby....

KnottyBuoyz

meant to tell you about that........ LOL

spent all day Saturday helping the stepson install his new car stereo in 98% humitidy. I can honestly say I have been there.

My ole' Grandpa always used to say: 'If ya don't stink, you're not workin' hard enough!'

Spent my fair share of time under the dash in hot weather! We restored an old IROC a few years ago. PO had wired in an alarm & ghetto blaster. It was a nightmare getting the wiring figured out!

KnottyBuoyz

Spent half of yesterday and a lil' more than half today in the shed sanding. Still have to get glass on the transom, back end of the box keel and the bow ahead of the thruster tube. Lots of overlapped fabric edges to be feathered out. I want to put an extra layer of tape along the bottom/keel join. The bottom fabrics weren't wide enough to overlap the sides and the bottom/keel join at the same time. Think I have 'nuff epoxy & off cuts left to get an extra layer of glass on the keel sides and bottom.

spacer.gif
IMG_0826.jpg

Got my butt firmly wedged between the thruster tube & stem to get that pic! Pretty cool I thought! ;)

Few more pics on today's blog updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/09/coup ... -days.html

Cheers!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
bet you had a smile on your face when you took that pic. Great work as always Rick.

KnottyBuoyz

You getting tired of everything being washed in a blue hue

I'm colorblind! :D

It's that damn blue shrink wrap I covered the shed with. Hate that stuff now! I have some clear green house plastic to cover the top with if I ever get around to it.

Dis' better?

IMG_0826a.jpg

Last edited:

littlerayray

Lieutenant
It's a great pic regardless was just wondering if being awash in a blue hue for as long as you have what side effects it would have mentally and physiologically has it affected your eyesight

KnottyBuoyz

It's a great pic regardless was just wondering if being awash in a blue hue for as long as you have what side effects it would have mentally and physiologically has it affected your eyesight

Physiological affects? Well I've been accused of being nuts for wanting to build my own boat. :D Although I don't think that's related to the blue plastic. My eyesight's bad. Has been since I was young. I do have poor color vision. I'm so used to it now I don't even notice to tell the truth. I think the camera's make it look worse than it really is, especially the iPhone camera. I was looking for a new camera today, the ole' Canon Sureshot is giving up the ghost. Can't seem to find one that's 'epoxy proof' though! :facepalm:

KnottyBuoyz

Took a day off to rest up the hands and get away from the cats & boat shed. Did some good!

This morning's adventure was a lil' sanding and they laying out some fiberglass for the transom, keel & bow section.

spacer.gif
IMG_0830.jpg

Totally out of 12 oz 0/90 now so had to improvise on the bow section. Dug up some of the 33 oz triax I used on the bottom panels and filled in the bow section. That stuff is heavy & soaks up epoxy like a sponge! :rolleyes:

More pics etc. on the blog update: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/09/litt ... there.html

sprintst

Commander
I just went back and flowed along from the original posts on this epic project. Super cool to watch the video on how you flipped her. That must have been a gratifying milestone. Hopefully I'll get to buy you a beer dockside and checkout the boat on the water one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.