Under Construction: Bateau.com TW28 Stretched

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnottyBuoyz

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hit the shed early and got the stbd side ready for more glass. A lil' sanding on the tape edges and then laid out the glass & gooped it down. About 3 hrs total and 1-1/2 gallons of epoxy. Nice 'n neat, quick 'n dirty. Got out of the shed before the heat started to build.

spacer.gif
IMG_0786.jpg

spacer.gif
IMG_0788.jpg

Couple more pics on the blog updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/09/star ... layer.html

Tomorrow I'll do a lil' sanding on the stbd bow then lay out the 10 oz finishing cloth. That should go pretty quick too!

Standby....

KnottyBuoyz

How many hrs you figure you have in to the build so far

Hard to tell rayray. Haven't really kept track. I'd say I average 25 hrs a week. It's been four years now but our boatbuilding season is only 6 months. I lost a good portion of the year before last when I messed up my knee. I'd say it's likely around 1800 hrs or so. Most of that sanding. *Sigh*

That's sort of funny though. Someone on Facebook just asked me how many gallons of epoxy I've used and how many I've sanded off! *lol* Well for the record there's about 95 gallons used so far and I'd say 25% of that's landed on the shed floor or my butt crack! *lol*

Last edited:

KnottyBuoyz

Took advantage of much cooler weather today and spent a total of 7 hours sanding the inside of the boat in prep for the next layers of glass.

spacer.gif
IMG_0789.jpg

Sanded from stem to stern and keel bottom to bulwarks. Almost got it all done, just about a half hour left then I'll lay out the glass in the keel tomorrow and get that glued in. I don't have enough epoxy to finish the inside of the boat this year but if I skip the finishing layer for now I'll be able to get the stringers in before I have to call it quits for the year.

More pics and more of me whining on today's web blog updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/09/long ... -shed.html

Standby....

KnottyBuoyz

you could sell your kids into indentured servitude

I'd have to find someone else's kid to sell. Mine has already flown the coop by a couple thousand miles and two or three provinces over. :-(

I was thinkin' of prostituting myself on the street corner but don't think there's much of a market for that sort of thing around here. Got a call into my previous employer (Fed Gubment) for work this fall so that'll just be another type of prostitution I guess! :) It does pay well 'nuff to get us a month in Mexico this winter and more boat building supplies! ;-)

Maybe I'll make up a sandwich board and walk the mall, one side will say "Will Work for Epoxy" and the other side will say "Will Work for Fiberglass".

You guys crack me up! :)

KnottyBuoyz

Box keel port side & bottom glassed & gooped!

spacer.gif
IMG_0798.jpg

Man I'll be happy when I don't have to stick my head in there ever again!

I says; "Honey! I dropped a wrench in the bilge again!"

She says; "No friggin' way, not this time HONEY my ass. Go fish it out your own dam self!"

I says; "Hard to get good crew anymore!" :blue:

Web log updated: http://she-kon.blogspot.ca/2015/09/keel ... layer.html

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander
I like your thread and blog because almost every day there is an update.

You mentioned before having other boats. Do you currently have another boat? I don't recall you saying at all this summer about any boating....only building...,,

KnottyBuoyz

I like your thread and blog because almost every day there is an update.

You mentioned before having other boats. Do you currently have another boat? I don't recall you saying at all this summer about any boating....only building...,,

Thanks for checking out our blog. I try to post something every day that I work on the new boat.

We've had boats in the past. Power boats, a 20' Excel cuddy & a 25' Sunray Mirage. Both were good boats for us but not really suited for the type of boating we want to do. We sold the Mirage a few years ago as it just wasn't getting used. Now we only have our dingy!

94C51364-11CD-497E-8875-7B128E20B396.jpg

Our friends use it more than we do.

Jeep Man

Commander
Been following along Rick and I've finally come to a section that I can comment on, your Mimic Panel. Having dealt with small wires for the last 30+ years you pick up a trick or 2. There are 2 primary connectors available for 20-26 awg. wire. B connectors, Originally manufactured by Nortel under product number BCT-7759. usually used by alarm techs and originally used by Bell techs, and 3M Scotchlok connectors, currently used by Bell. If using B connectors, strip and twist the wires together with just 3 or 4 twists before squeezing the connector on. Both types are available with gel for outside or damp locations.
To solder small wires the best method is to "tin" each wire with solder, cut back to length as the outer insulation has now shrunk, then reheat when side by side. This results in the smallest diameter before applying heatshrink.
Finally, the terminal strips you are using can cause a problem down the road. Unless mounted with the screw heads facing up, the screws have a tendency to back off due to vibration from the engine. If they cannot be mounted with screws up, add a little loktite to each head when completed.
Great work by the way. I'm just a little jealous.

KnottyBuoyz

Great tips Jeepman. Thanks. I've tried a few of the 3M Scotchlok connector when I was attempting to setup the NMEA network on our old boat's Garmin electronics. They worked really well. I think I'm going to stick with the euro style terminal blocks and will use some thread locker as you suggested. They'll be mounted flat on the bottom of the overhead console so screws will be up. Now when I actually get to that point in the project is likely a couple years away!

Standby & thanks again.

Mikeopsycho

Status
Not open for further replies.