Tri-Hulls

CarrierSquid

Seaman
I was reciently told about how in medium to high chop a tri-hull had the tendancy to flip at a medium rate of speed.... more so than a non tri-hull.... is there any truth to this???

Drowned Rat

Captain
Re: Tri-Hulls

No. If anything, they're more stable than V hulls. They just don't ride very well in choppy water.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

Don't they race tri-hulls? They seem to like being in the air

I have been on a tri-hull in the Pacific in afternoon chop, I would take a Deep-V anytime. the tri-hulls dance around too much

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Badly enough mishandled any boat will flip. Don't get the idea that you are "home free".

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

they are correctly spelled 'tri-haul' :D

No, unless you vastly overpower the boat or are in conditions far beyond what is sane, you will not flip one over. Trihulls will beat you into submission though, and the boat is capable of dealing far more punishment than your back can handle!

CarrierSquid

Seaman

well i dont plan on going out when it is really bad.... just making sure..... thanks for the info...

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

when verifying rumors and advice, even here, get the context. The tri-hull family boat popular in the 70's (or as modified by Boston Whalers) is not the same animal as a tri-hull hydroplane racing boat. While a racing boat might have issues with "chop" a recreational boat shouldn't, within reasonable limits.

Or a canoe with a pair of outriggers--that's a tri-hull. Or Trimaran (3 hull catamaran).

CaliCash

Seaman Apprentice

they are correctly spelled 'tri-haul' :D

Trihulls will beat you into submission though, and the boat is capable of dealing far more punishment than your back can handle!

Ain't that the truth! I have a Hurricane SD 196, which is a tri-hull and boy is it rough on the people riding in the bow during choppy water!

CarrierSquid

Seaman

good thing it will be younger people riding up there with us old farts in the back... lol

CaliCash

Seaman Apprentice

LOL...thats the exact seating arrangement that I have. Youngsters up front, seasoned vets in the back.

getemracing

Cadet

I own a 1969 Johnson Seasport Tri-Hull. I dont seem to have that problem, in fact I think it rides better then other boats I have been on.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

My 1979 StarCraft 15' tri-hull is a very stable fishing platform for it's size, is great for small lakes, is not too bad on the Bay, or even a mile or two out into the kelp beds (on a calm day).

But will my next boat be a tri-hull? Not a chance in Hades.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Well, the Navy and Coast Guard calls em Hulls (actually Multi-Hull)

I guess you can all em that if you are Hauling three people:rolleyes:

that is the famous craigs list spelling for them. someone discovers a rotting boat out in the weeds and posts their new 'tri-haul' for $3k, just needs a little TLC.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I own a 1969 Johnson Seasport Tri-Hull. I dont seem to have that problem, in fact I think it rides better then other boats I have been on.

What other boats have you ridden on? i've owned quite a few under 20 ft bowriders, 3 of which were trihulls. (2 glastrons, one larson) ALL the trihulls will beat you senseless in even moderate chop, and absolutely suck at crossing wake.

i've been out on the lake a couple times where the only way I could get back without broken bones was to point the front end up in the air and hold it there. The hull kind of mushes through the waves, but at least it wasn't beating me against them.

A decent v hull is vastly better in ride, but not as stable at rest.

saxrulez

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't believe I could flip mine if I tried(why would you though), HOWEVER I could do some serious damage to the people on board on a turn at full tilt at full speed. It can make for some really nasty turns if you happen to catch a bit of chop and get some air and one of the hulls kind of digs in before the others. I can make turns that are quite uncomfortable for people on board if I chose to.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Ain't that the truth! I have a Hurricane SD 196, which is a tri-hull and boy is it rough on the people riding in the bow during choppy water!

Calicash....post some pics over in the Hurricane forum... There is a Hurricane pics thread over there. I'd love to see it.

I have the SS 188....