Telelfex No-Feedback Steering, Opinions

Salmonseeker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi guys,

Just looking for some opinions and advice on Teleflex No-Feedback steering.

Here is my problem,

When I am trolling and the waves are picking up I have to constantly adjust the steering to keep in a straight line. The motor sometimes seems to have a mind of its own when I let go of the steering wheel(Slow speeds only) It will go one way or the other and once it starts it gradually turns more and more and all of a sudden I made a very sharp turn which can cause problems when running multiple trolling lines.

Tashasdaddy recommended the Teleflex system to me.

How well does this system work? If I had the wheel turned slightly say 5-10 degrees and let go of the wheel. Will it stay in this position even with the waves and motor vibrations trying to turn the motor more? Right now it would continue to turn the direction of the 5-10 degrees more and more, so it makes letting go of the wheel to check or set rods difficult.

Also I have read that all I need to do the change is the helm piece which is available seperately.

Right now I have the Telelfex Safe-T QC, http://www.teleflexmarine.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?site=steering&type=us&product=1086

Will this work with the cables I have now? I am thinking of changing it either to the, NFB Safe-T 2 system, http://www.teleflexmarine.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?site=steering&type=us&product=1085 or the, NFB 4.2 system, http://www.teleflexmarine.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?site=steering&type=us&product=1066

As far as I can tell the only difference between the 2 no-feedback systems is the the amount I have to turn the wheel in relation to how much the motor turns.

What are your thoughts guys? Am I wasting my money doing the upgrade or will it help my situation?

The boat we are talking about is a 2004 Crestliner Angler 1600SC, with a 2004 50HP 2 Stroke Johnson used 90% of the time for trolling on Lake Ontario which is wavy most of the time.

Thanks

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Telelfex No-Feedback Steering, Opinions

I bought a rack and pinion NFB system from them a year ago. Works great even at WOT with a 90 hp engine.

These are super folks to do business with.

If you get the part number off your current cable you can call them and ask if it fits the new NFB rotary units. The number is stamped on the cable within 18" of where the cable enters the steering unit...may be on the back side so you would need a mirror and flashlight to see it. It's the only number there and is quite long as the last numbers are the length in inches. If the sheath of the cable is black, the numbers are in white.

As far as which is better for you, transmission theory would indicate to me that the farther the gears are apart, the more turns but the less stress per turn (in both directions), meaning that the one with the more turns would "not feedback" as much as the other which would mean to me that it would have the better chance of holding your engine where you left it.

HTH

Mark

Salmonseeker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Mark,

I just checked for the number. It was exactly where you said it was but missing most of the number. There was another cable resting where the numbers were and rubbed most of them off. I looked up the data sheets for my steering system and the NFB ones on Teleflex's site and it appears they all use the same cables. I know my cables are the quick connect kind. I might give them call on Monday just to be sure.

Does the steering system hold that well? Could you notice a big difference compared to you original steering?

Sorrento 25

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I converted my old boat from a standard outboard mount setup to a jackplate with a low-water pickup, nosecone, new prop, etc. and picked up over 10 mph but the steering was deadly until I upgraded to Teleflex NFB. Worth every penny and a night-and-day difference.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Yes. Most engines with trim have different prop torque (on the rudder) as a function of rpm and trim position.

Unless you are at the optimum trim/tab position, any time you turn loose of the wheel it will go to or fro.

With NFB no problem.

Mark

Salmonseeker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Guys,

I found a place where I can get just the helm piece to convert it to NFB relatively cheap.

I also did a search and read some reviews of this system on other sites and everyone seems to like it.

Can't wait to try it out.

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can you update us ?
Did you go with the NFB2 or 4.2 ?

Thanks