The Hunt is on for a sleekcraft ambassador hull.....

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer
Re: The Hunt is on for a sleekcraft ambassador hull.....

Ok I see the difference now, I don't know why I didn't pick up on that earlier. I love how they advertise it as the "lounge playroom", lol! You have to love the fuzzy brown also! I wonder if the top of the dash is the same height from the deck? The clearance under the bow might have an impact on my open bow / mid cabin concept. I just can't see any use for a closed bow without AC in OK.

It took me a few looks to notice the difference as well. Let me know if you want me to take any measurements of my boat. They are pretty short in the cabin. If we can get Paul back in here he can measure his Executive cabin in comparison. I hear ya on the AC. If I ever get that far on mine I will more than likely pull the fridge and add AC instead.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I just notice the hatch in the floor of the executive photo you posted, wonder what that is for? Storage? I'll e-mail vegas to see if I can get a couple of measurements.

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

I just notice the hatch in the floor of the executive photo you posted, wonder what that is for? Storage? I'll e-mail vegas to see if I can get a couple of measurements.

If you are talking about inside the cabin, yes that is storage. The Ambassador has it too. It is not real big but you can fit a couple life jackets in there. If I remember right it has a drain back to the bilge as well.

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

Nice looking Executive in Austin. I know you wanted something in worse shape but the price seems pretty good for the condition of this boat. Ad says 24' but I'd bet money it's a 23'. It's an I/O and says OBO so it sounds like they have some wiggle room on the price. It's got the cool cabin sky lights too!

http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/2464609274.html

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a question?? We used to shoot high build and sand the heck out of it and shoot awlgrip. Two coats and you were done. I have seen a very superior method with tip and roll but takes forever. Nobody has ever mentioned it here???

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Kahuna, I have done the paint method before, my 16' sleek has a DuPont Urethane system on it. Looks great, but I like the durability of the gelcoat...I just want to explore that route, I may go with the paint again, but I want to study the gelcoat system. I'm guessing the tip and roll method you are talking about is a paint system?

Matt, I saw that sleek, nice boat. I'm still holding out for the fixer upper or more likely the complete overhaul.....I just like the challenge and the fact that I know her inside and out! I talked with Vegas, and he is going to try to get me some dimensions on his hull. Sounds like they have been really busy! I do like the seat layout with yours by the way. I'm thinking the full sundeck above the motor might give room for a small generator on one side. Have you looked into that at all?

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

Kahuna, I have done the paint method before, my 16' sleek has a DuPont Urethane system on it. Looks great, but I like the durability of the gelcoat...I just want to explore that route, I may go with the paint again, but I want to study the gelcoat system. I'm guessing the tip and roll method you are talking about is a paint system?

Matt, I saw that sleek, nice boat. I'm still holding out for the fixer upper or more likely the complete overhaul.....I just like the challenge and the fact that I know her inside and out! I talked with Vegas, and he is going to try to get me some dimensions on his hull. Sounds like they have been really busy! I do like the seat layout with yours by the way. I'm thinking the full sundeck above the motor might give room for a small generator on one side. Have you looked into that at all?

I have thought about a generator. Personally I want one of the little super quiet Honda gens with room to spare. I am confident you could fit a larger one as well.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Yeah that is what I was thinking about, just a small one.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Bobby! I sent you detailed measurements/drawings...check your work email...

for the rest of you Ill just state some of the measurements...
oh and PS HI EVERYONE! We have been MIA due to several moves and a new house etc...life...

ok seating area is
9 feet long from to dash, 9ft 8 inches if you go all the way to the transom....
70 inches wide inside gunwales...
28inches high at center of gunwale to deck....

entry to cuddy is
35" from deck to top opening, then the dash is 6 more inches high to the top of the boat (the dash is offset ....bigger dash verticvally at drivers position, that measurement is at bigger opening to cuddy)
24" between the 2 bench seats in cuddy,
80" from back of bench seat pad to back of bench seat pad (cuddy interior width)
58" bench seat length
43 1/2 inches from deck to ceiling in cuddy where the bench seats are...
at bed area it is 24" then ceiling drops 1/2 way through down to 16" measured from bed pad to ceiling
bed area is about 8ft long....

Hope that helps ...could love to here the same specs on the ambassador...

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

I'm thinking the full sundeck above the motor might give room for a small generator on one side.

I would think that would be a serious fire hazard, monoxide, venting issues etc...a solar battery charger would be a heck of alot safer...cheaper than a honda gen too...

I just talked to a guy in henderson NV, nice guy, he emailed me about polishing gel coat etc...he has a 26ft ambassador he bought out of california...anyhoot, he is running 2 batteries witha switch, one for starting/running, the other for fridge and radio when parked on beach or at anchor... SIDE NOTE question: he said he is only getting 3900 rpms on a chevy 454 setup, holly double pumper 750 cfm and jet drive...35mph.... he wants 53 mph so he can beat his buddy...Im thinking his carb is too small for the rpms he wants...

Bobby... the idea of making the boat a mid cabin is great one...lots of work
but Im sure you're cut out for it...good thing is with the hull design you wouldnt have to worry about water coming in over the bow...from my experience is any splashes of water come up high enough to get into boat it is about 1/2 way back ...and that is only on real windy days where the splash gets blown into the boat from a side wind...

I seen a sleek where they did that somewhere a while back, it can definetly be done...
I know the cabin would be stuffy in Oklahoma in summer, good thing is you can hide from rain and stow toys in the bed area...keeps the deck and bench seats clear of garbage...(most days are day trips not overnight)

the cuddy is good for a respite from the sun or a little privacy to change etc...quick nap.:p...kids can hide in there during rough seas.:eek:..esp on cool days or in winter...and there are windows on the side, some ambassadors have a hatch up front too for cool air...:cool:

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

2 batteries is a must with big blocks, big stereos and a cabin fridge.... an $89 900 watt 2 stroke generator on the beach can work well for a quick recharge or some halogen lighting for an hour during night bbq etc.... more junk to drag out to the lake though....we use the new LED flashlights that put out bookoo beams...lowes etc...$15 bounce the light off the bimini or ez-up...makes for plenty of light at night

the idea of mid-cabin is a great one...the sleek is perfect candidate for it....if it was done right shouldnt effect strength too much .... and with the hull design you wont get water in through the front....

it would need some reinforcing where the opening was cut out...espec on the top deck area ....but that isnt rocket science .... custom seats would have to be made and designed.... it would be really awsome for anchoring, tying bow line, docking and relaxing.....easy ot get into...loading options and such.... would LOVE to see that one done... either size sleek is perfect....

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Thanks for all the info Vegas, I need to get out there and try Miss Morgan out on your lake! She ran 55 this morning on glass like water....love that feeling! I hear you on the ventilation for the generator....I will work through that if I ever find a hull! I think the bow would be a great place to ride on a boat like an ambassador or executive. I think the seats and hull reinforcing will be fairly simple...its the drainage that will be a pain! Drainage stupid, its always the drainage! But first thing first....I need to find the boat!

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all the info Vegas, I need to get out there and try Miss Morgan out on your lake! She ran 55 this morning on glass like water....love that feeling! I hear you on the ventilation for the generator....I will work through that if I ever find a hull! I think the bow would be a great place to ride on a boat like an ambassador or executive. I think the seats and hull reinforcing will be fairly simple...its the drainage that will be a pain! Drainage stupid, its always the drainage! But first thing first....I need to find the boat!

I don't know if drainage will be that big a deal. That little storage area you pointed out in mine earlier has a drain back to the bilge area. I'm guessing that.

I would think that would be a serious fire hazard, monoxide, venting issues etc...a solar battery charger would be a heck of alot safer...cheaper than a honda gen too...

I just talked to a guy in henderson NV, nice guy, he emailed me about polishing gel coat etc...he has a 26ft ambassador he bought out of california...anyhoot, he is running 2 batteries witha switch, one for starting/running, the other for fridge and radio when parked on beach or at anchor... SIDE NOTE question: he said he is only getting 3900 rpms on a chevy 454 setup, holly double pumper 750 cfm and jet drive...35mph.... he wants 53 mph so he can beat his buddy...Im thinking his carb is too small for the rpms he wants...

Glad to see your still kickin Paul. As for the generator, there are plenty of big cabin cruisers with gens in them. In fact a buddy of mine recently bought a Rinker with a water cooled generator in it. It might be costly but it shouldnt be hard to find a boat being parted out with a good generator in it.

For the guy with the Ambassador with a jet, You should send him over to http://forum.jetboatperformance.biz/ Jets are a different animal. Tom (Owner of Jet Boat Performance) is a great guy with lots of experience and advise. His board offers plenty of honest help for the jet guys. There are way too many questions that need to be answered before you can start to guess why his RPM and MPH are so low on that boat. Encourage him to sign up here and there. I'd love to see his boat.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I knew I had seen that open bow on here somewhere....just couldn't remember where! Thanks Ridepate, I'm still debating the executive vs ambassador issue. Matt when you get a chance do you think you can get a couple of the dims on your ambassador to compare with Vegas's executive? I kind of hate buy a boat off of ebay....I really want to go look at it first, and there is no way I can make it there before that one bids!

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

Sent you a PM. If you will email the measurements Paul sent you along with his drawing I will just substitute my measurements into it.

Here is some basic measurements of the upper deck interior I took when I was going to go back with the original configuration.

View attachment AmbassadorMeaturements.pdf

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Matt, I just sent you the info Paul gave me. Thanks for the help!

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

Replied to your email. Basically my boat is 1.5' longer than Paul's between the dash and the point of the bow and 6" longer than Paul's in the open seating area. Other than that all measurements were the same. The cabin couches are the same my V birth is about a foot longer.

When I compared mine to a 77 or later the open deck area between the dash and transom was exactly the same and the cabin area of the 77 & up boat was 1' longer than mine. Let me know if you need more precise measurements.

Hope that helps.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Thanks got your e-mail, I'm guessing your boat is 6" longer in the seating area...not 6'....have you been reading opps thread??? lol!