Sylvan 1980 18' Sportster IO

Alumarine

Captain
Yeah that's a good idea adding the backer strip. You could also add an extra cross support there as well if you really want to get carried away.

By cross support do you mean something running back to front from the transom to the arch support?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah, I think my Chief has 2 of the supports.

Last edited:

Alumarine

Captain
Good idea.
There is a 36"x18"x1/2" piece of plywood that attaches to the transom and to the transom cover.
I think it was tied into the arch support but if not I will.

tWPD7Yb.jpg

Watermann

Oh I see, there's a backer on yours. There wasn't a ply backer on my Chief, they just used the 2 cross supports with 90 degree brackets. Amazing how strong a narrow span of .080 AL is when it's supported on all 4 corners. It doesn't give when I step on it from the swim ladder.

Alumarine

Captain
Mine felt surprisingly solid considering the arch support was rotted away at the mounting ends and what was left was like balsa wood.
Mind you I rarely stood on it.

Alumarine

Captain
Okay, I've gone on two 20 mile test runs and all systems seem to working fine.
I guess I I got most of the critical parts back in the right places.
Most importantly, no leaks!

I'm about to put the transom cover back on permanently.

It was all riveted originally but any reason I couldn't use other types of fasteners?

Watermann

Hey Marc that's great to hear, so did you take a camera with your on those excursions? :D

I don't know why you couldn't use something besides rivets for the cover. I used screws on my Chief's cover.

Alumarine

Captain
Hey Marc that's great to hear, so did you take a camera with your on those excursions? :D

I don't know why you couldn't use something besides rivets for the cover. I used screws on my Chief's cover.

Great, stainless screws it will be.

Oops, sorry about that. I only got 1 picture.
This is on one of the 2 rivers that run through our town.
6cAGYIv.jpg

Alumarine

Captain
I'd like to thank Budski for setting me up with a gently used set of bow cushions from his starcraft.
It was good to meet a fellow iboater and see the awesome 18 footer he was working on. Nice work.
This is a great community. Wouldn't get anywhere without the help I get from the members here.

mgN1VfX.jpg

Watermann

Yeah Budski! I have a part Budski Jr fabricated on my SS clear over here is WA State. That guy sure does get around!

budski

Lieutenant Commander
And I forgot to mention great job on your new transom.

budski

Lieutenant Commander
Hey Marc not sure if you're going to put jump seats in your boat but Princess auto has them for sale in their next weeks flyer for 49.00. each, and if you have a 15.00 coupon they would cost you 85.00 for a set of two.

Alumarine

Captain
Thanks for the heads up John.
It just so happens I have a coupon ready to go in my wallet!
I think I'll pick some up just in case I need them at that price. Plus they're not always available.

budski

Lieutenant Commander
I was there today Marc, and the sales person told that they were only getting about 6 per store, so if you really want the I would be there early on Tuesday when the sale starts, they might be there on Monday and they will give you a set if you have the item number, good luck.

Alumarine

Captain
I was there today Marc, and the sales person told that they were only getting about 6 per store, so if you really want the I would be there early on Tuesday when the sale starts, they might be there on Monday and they will give you a set if you have the item number, good luck.

Thanks, Which one you going to? I'll go to the other.
I'll try Monday first but on limited items I find they won't release them till Tuesday.