Still need a motor :(

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Still need a motor :(

That explains why I got the answering machine at your place :)

I'm broke now, so I guess I'll have to wait until I find a buyer for all this junk :( My first thought was too pull the power head from the 80, replace all the brittle wiring and the CDI and throw it on the 115 Pwr trim bottom end, already checked it over and it all looks the same. but I don't have 100 bucks to buy a used CDI. The used guy said "Guaranteed to work, but weather it works for 5 hours or 5 years is unknown, Once it's on your motor running it's your problem" The other guy I talked to said pretty much the same thing but his was 200 bucks. Starting to get the feeling I bought that season pass for nothing :(

Rick.

I still say part em out !!!! never been a fan of merc's and never will.
Guess I will get your message when I get home then !!
Still looking for a decent motor for you.

Chevyboy454

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lol, Yeah. Just give me a ring when you get in. I'm honestly exhausted now, I've spent so many hours on the net looking for a motor, driven all over hells half acre and coming home with junk every time. I think this will be my last Merc purchase. I have even considered selling my Nova and either buying another boat with an Inboard (I really fancy the idea of a car engine in a boat) but with the economy the way it is and gas prices going up I fear my Nova isn't worth very much right now.

My Brain hurts.

Rick.

CVX20SPRINT

Petty Officer 1st Class

What year is the 80 and is it a Merc or a Force?I could use a lower unit for a late 70's 80 Merc.
The 115 you bought is older than 78.In 78 they got rid of the dist. ign.
BTW Those old 115 Mercs are awesome running motors when set-up and looked after properly.It would drive your boat silly.Arguably the best of the Tower of Power L6 motors.I'm running a 1500 73 L6 Merc on a heavy Glastron Carlson.I picked up a 150 V6 for it,but the 1500 is running so good I don't know if I want to pull it off.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Stop buying motors from this guy:

used-car-salesman_100182441_m.jpg

Chevyboy454

Petty Officer 2nd Class

HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! That's awesome! Thanks EZ you made me smile today!

I have posted all the motors on kijiji as a pkg in trade for one running 80-100 JohnnyRude with pwr trim and all the fixins. I'll run it like that for a week and if I don't get any takers I'm gonna part em all out.

@ Chris, that 1150 has 1978 written on it, pretty sure its a 78 from Mississauga Ont, must be one of the last dist models, according to one of the websites I looked at, my serial is only a few numbers off from the 1978 one listed. as for a lower end, that 80 has a good one on it but as I wrote up there, I'm going to try to pkg it all out for either some coin to buy a JohnRude or even trade. The 80 still runs, I'm just at the point where I am done playing with Merc's I've had nothing but bad luck with them and just want to get on the lake and go fishing with my kids without having to paddle back to shore or plow through the lake without power trim chewing through gas.

Anyone else have any ideas what to do?

Itchin to go fishin....Rick.

CVX20SPRINT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good luck with the sale.I'd love to take them off your hands,but I can't afford them and a divorce lawyer.I've got 4 old Merc's now(5 counting the one my buddy hasn't payed for yet).The 80 I picked up without the lower unit.

Chevyboy454

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You want a good deal? Come fix my 115 and put it on my boat (of course with my help) so it all works, and I'll give you the 80 and the 850 parts motor. If you say it's a good reliable motor I'll run it until I can afford a J.R.

I JUST WANT TO GET ON THE WATER!!!!

Rick

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Good Luck with it Rick. I will most likely be looking at a Johnson 60hp this afternoon. comes with controls and i will see what i can get it for as well as what condition it is in. It is on a rotten hulled boat so the entire thing may have to be taken if the price is right. will keep you posted.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I have posted all the motors on kijiji as a pkg in trade for one running 80-100 JohnnyRude with pwr trim and all the fixins.

Change your add to 70-115HP. 70HP JohnnyRudes are awesome and they haven't made a 100HP since the very early 70's (they're 115s). Your ad, as written, is limiting you to really only 85s,90s, and ancient 100s.

Also consider being flexible on the TnT if you want to get on the water. Lots of older OMCs didn't have it. However, take into consideration that adding it later to a pre-'78 motor will be cost prohibitive. On Post '78 motors you can add it with an ebay unit for around $250.

CVX20SPRINT

Petty Officer 1st Class

You want a good deal? Come fix my 115 and put it on my boat (of course with my help) so it all works, and I'll give you the 80 and the 850 parts motor. If you say it's a good reliable motor I'll run it until I can afford a J.R.

I JUST WANT TO GET ON THE WATER!!!!

Rick

I'd be up for that,but you're at least 3 hours away on a good day.I'm on the bottom of Goergian Bay.What do you think is wrong with the 80?You say it's not running right.Do you think it just needs setting up or do you think it has internal problems/low compression?I'm just thinking that making it work would be the quickest way to get on the water if there is no internal damage.

Chevyboy454

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pretty sure it's the cdi. Does have some shi%%y wiring I need to change if I'm going to keep it. I'm going to try a few more things tonight on the tower and see if I can't make her bark. I called the guy and he said If I didn't believe him to all the marina that winterized it in Windsor It was running before he pulled it off.

Got to be bad wiring somewhere.... it's a Dist engine and I'm a licensed tech there should be no reason why I cant make her run. I'm just frustrated is all. As for the 80 if it does need a cdi I don't want to spend any more $$$ on it as I really want pwr trim and have one sitting in my garage I just need to make it run.

Chevyboy454

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cooked eh!?!?! At what temp, how do you think it would taste? So with all my frustration, and spending all day at work stewing over what could be wrong. I spent a little time on the main wiring harness and Houston we have lift off. Tower of Power is a runner, and sounds friggin wicked. Now do I put it on my boat or sell it? Here is a vid of it starting a runing, I did try not to throttle it up too much on the stand but this thing is real touchy!! Idles like a dream, seems to have a slight prostate issue with sputtering pee, but I haven't looked at the water pump yet. Pretty sure my Lower end is the same as this one right? If not Should I use any specific lower end lube seeing as to how it's a much bigger motor? Still have some wiring I need to address before I do anything and then there is my shift cable problem.

Still don't know what ima gonna do yet. Sure wish I had a nice 115 Johnny/Rude with power trim instead, Would be a shame to mount all this merc crap just to want to change it out again.

Rick.

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a395/rleblond/Doral TRX/?action=view&current=Picture.mp4

Chevyboy454

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Trade ya for a 90 Rude I spy on the back of your boat ;) I'll even meet you at the border!

However I may very well do that, still on the fence. Finished fixing up the harness, Choke and everything works now. My Solenoid stalls from time to time have to cycle the key a few times for it to start, might change it out yet. My pwr trim wires give positive pulse when up - down and the trailer buttons are pressed. I'm not exactly sure where they go yet on the pump setup as the 3 prong plug has been cut off and the wire colors don't match. Also have 2 wires coming from the trim on the mount bracket (I assume it's a kill so it doesn't over lift and blow a line, but I don't see anything on the pwr trim motor where that would go. Those wires were rotten too so I replace them as well. All and All I'm just about ready to drop on boat if I so choose. I may tackle the 80 tomorrow and leave this off for a week or so to see if anyone bites on a trade for a J.R. If not on she will go and I'll sell off the rest of my Merc stuff. Might even find a suitable spot for that trolling motor.

Rick.

Chevyboy454

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anyone have a wiring diagram for the tilt trim?? I've been looking on here for an hour and all I found was a hand drawn one and another that the pic has been removed. I have a PDF file on my motor and it shows wiring for motor only, and the TnT section just shows a breakdown of the pump but no wiring info??

Thanks Rick.

Chevyboy454

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mounted it to boat today :) Wife is on my backside to get the boat up and running. II decided to just keep my controls as it would be a rather large pain in the backside to change them out and make the shift cables fit on the new controller. Tomorrow I will hook up the TnT and run a new harness to the dash with a 3 pole switch for up/down. Still no idea yet how to wire it up but I hopeful someone will come through with a diagram or pin-out for the TnT pump motor and solenoid.

Here is a pic of her on the boat and a vid of the test fire with my controller.

Cheers Rick.

EDIT**** Special Thanks to Moody Blue over in Electrical Diagnostics, He hooked me up with a wiring Diagram for the TnT. Should be up and Running Tomorrow. Got to go to Canadian Tire and get some Dex II for the fluid and Rocker Switch for TnT. Picked up My Amsoil for the lower end and a new Impeller today so that's on the list of crap to do tomorrow too. If it's not raining in the afternoon maybe we can get a test run in at the lake and some fish on.

Picture169.jpg

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a395/rleblond/Doral TRX/?action=view&current=Picture167.mp4