Still need a motor :(

Chevyboy454

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So the 80 I got running the other day just decided to stop firing on 3 and 4. Traced it back to the CDI (AGAIN) I've about had enough of these Merc's and think I really need to find an Evenrude or Johnson with pwr trim. Keep your ears open all you guys in southern Ont please for something in the 500 buck range. I absolutely hate seeing my boat in the yard knowing I cant use her.

Bummed out....Rick.

Chevyboy454

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Still need a motor :(

Off hand, does anyone know what this boat can handle? I don't have the spec plate for it to tell me max horsepower. It's 16 1/2" long. I have a line on a 115 Evenrude with Power Trim, find out monday If I can go get it. Guy is asking $600 cash for it Says it runs mint but kind of looks like crap, someone painted it gold??? Aprox year is 1982 (His guess not mine)

Cheers Rick.

Chevyboy454

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update:

Bought that 115 Rude. What a mistake. Power trim motor seized, stuck in forward gear (electro shift junk) The guy was nice enough to take it back and give me my money back with apologies. The actual year was 1971, did some research and that motor apparently was riddled with shift issues and power trim issues. However it did start well even in gear, sounded pretty wild! Too bad it was a pos.

And the hunt contines :(

Rick.

BSAFlash

Petty Officer 1st Class

May the "Force" be with you:facepalm:

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Got my ears open. Just home from China and the long weekend.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I would recommend a 1980's or above Johnnyrude 70 to 90 hp for your outfit.;)
Steer completely clear of the electric shifts and anything with "Ficht" written on it.:eek:

BSAFlash

Petty Officer 1st Class

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Chevyboy454

Petty Officer 2nd Class

MUHAHAHAHAHAH sorry Ken couldn't turn it down for 500 bucks and didn't want to miss it. needless to say it was a real late night last night. Would have popped in but it was real late. Pretty sure it's actually an 85. Which is still 8 years newer then mine. I'll be checking it over real good tonight. Guy guarantees it runs flawlessly has owned it for ten years prof winterized every year.

Power House
IMG00267.jpg

IMG00266.jpg

IMG00265.jpg

IMG00268.jpg

R.

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

Lol, the tower of power, def looks older than '85 (or maybe even '75) serial number will clear that up tho
looks sweet

Art Bernard

Banned

Aww, you should have gone with a nice 80-90 johnyrude. They're like the chevy's of the outboard world, relatively inexpensive, parts avaiable, and they have a good rep for holding up well if taken care of. I ran mercs on my first 2 boats but to many problems so I switched and never looked back.

Art

Chevyboy454

Petty Officer 2nd Class

been looking everywhere for a JR. No luck. Maybe i can trade someone :)

R.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Good luck with the tower of power. Other than being known for brittle wiring (definitely give that a good check over) I think they are solid motors.

Chevyboy454

Petty Officer 2nd Class

%$@&$&@$%&@&@%&!!!!!!!!!

I am really starting to hate MERC. Just like a G.D. Ford........ This "supposed Good Runner" Has no G.D. Spark. Checked over the wiring, a few brittle wires fixed those up before I started. Grounded the motor and jumped it expecting to hear a wicked roar and all I got was no.no.no.no.nono.no.no.nono. Pulled a plug and checked for spark and NADA. BTW it's a friggin 1978, G.D. thing has a Cap and Rotor (with my luck and CDI's I was thinking right on) Now not so much. Pulled the main wire from coil to look for spark Nada. Checked cap for shiznit and giggles, real damp and ugly. so basically once again no motor. Just a power trim setup and a trolling motor that cost me 500 bucks. The idiot cut the main harness, the shift cables and one of the pwr trim hoses. I was in such a rush to get something so we could get on the water and now I'm whooped.

Anyone want to buy a crap load of Mercs to fund my JohnnyRude motor??

Wish I wasn't so dang impatient.

Rick.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

%$@&$&@$%&@&@%&!!!!!!!!!

I am really starting to hate MERC. Just like a G.D. Ford........ This "supposed Good Runner" Has no G.D. Spark. Checked over the wiring, a few brittle wires fixed those up before I started. Grounded the motor and jumped it expecting to hear a wicked roar and all I got was no.no.no.no.nono.no.no.nono. Pulled a plug and checked for spark and NADA. BTW it's a friggin 1978, G.D. thing has a Cap and Rotor (with my luck and CDI's I was thinking right on) Now not so much. Pulled the main wire from coil to look for spark Nada. Checked cap for shiznit and giggles, real damp and ugly. so basically once again no motor. Just a power trim setup and a trolling motor that cost me 500 bucks. The idiot cut the main harness, the shift cables and one of the pwr trim hoses. I was in such a rush to get something so we could get on the water and now I'm whooped.

Anyone want to buy a crap load of Mercs to fund my JohnnyRude motor??

Wish I wasn't so dang impatient.

Rick.

Guess you posted while I was looking up your motor.
My suggestion, part out everything merc that you have and grab a Johnnyrude.
Don't be so impatient next time. By the way, I am out of town again till Friday.
I'm still looking

Chevyboy454

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That explains why I got the answering machine at your place :)

I'm broke now, so I guess I'll have to wait until I find a buyer for all this junk :( My first thought was too pull the power head from the 80, replace all the brittle wiring and the CDI and throw it on the 115 Pwr trim bottom end, already checked it over and it all looks the same. but I don't have 100 bucks to buy a used CDI. The used guy said "Guaranteed to work, but weather it works for 5 hours or 5 years is unknown, Once it's on your motor running it's your problem" The other guy I talked to said pretty much the same thing but his was 200 bucks. Starting to get the feeling I bought that season pass for nothing :(

Rick.

BSAFlash

Petty Officer 1st Class

Told you to check that trolling motor:facepalm:
Now that you have a power trim all you need to do is get a motor running.
A new CDi from Merc is only a couple of hundred... Cheaper than 2 second hand outboards that don't work:eek: