Starting new project 1973 Sea Ray 240 SRV

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If Manty Lowes doesnt have 5200, the Ace on Menasha Ave should. If not, the maritime marina will.

Stop at Lates BBQ for a cheeseburger and cheese curds

sheboyganjohn

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Scott. I forgot about the marina up there. They have just about all the stuff that you can't find in the store.

sheboyganjohn

Got the motor in today and all hooked up, just can't get it to start. I am running off an old portable tank and it had a bit of an air leak so I replaced the fittings, did not help,. Only coughed a few times over the whole time I was working on it. The starter was heating up so I gave up for the night. I am going to trouble shoot the ignition side first, even though I am not sure the fuel pump was working. I held a spark plug to the ground wire and did not see a spark, so it may be electrical.

sheboyganjohn

Well ran up to the Gander Mountain that is closing and found their last two tubes of 5200. Took it home and put on the counter and ran out for a quick dinner with the wife. Came home and for some insane reason our 10 year old Chessie decided he needed to chew on both the tubes. Punctured one right below the cap in the package and squeezed about 1/5 out inside the package. The other he pulled out of the package and punctured multiple times at the bottom of the tube. Got it on the living room rug then stepped in it and walked through the house across the vinyl flooring and the dining room rug. The living room rug is going to be trash, the dining room has just a small spot. Was able to wipe it all off the vinyl floor. Of course he did not touch the tube of 3m silicone that they have a bunch left there. Tossed the one he punctured at the top of the tube. Rolled the other one up until the holes were no longer oozing and put it in a ziplock bag. After cleaning up I was not in the mood to even go work on the boat. I think the dog is going to spend the summer in the kennel outside when we are not home, even though he likes being in the house.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Oh wow that's not good! 5200 is messy stuff. I cringed when you said it got on the carpet. I wouldn't have been able to work on the boat either.

Hope the rest of the week goes good for you!

sheboyganjohn

Well I guess I will not be getting the boat in the water by the 4th like I planned. Hooked up the tilt rams, tested the pump, it ran both directions, but did not sound the best, filled with oil and it is dead. Was able to kick over the motor so it is not the battery. Guess I will go on the hunt for a used one on E-bay so I can swap it out and get this one rebuilt as a spare. I am gone for work next week so I only have the rest of this week to get it going. No way I will get a replacement by then. Guess I will pull the dory out of storage and see if I can troubleshoot the power issue to the two injectors. Have the trouble shooting guide for it. Hopefully it is not the power distribution panel or I will be going on vacation with out a boat.

sheboyganjohn

Did some digging on E-bay and a used system is few and far between and extremely expensive. Found that I can get a brand new motor and upper housing for the unit for $120, so I ordered one. I will tear the current unit apart, clean and put on the new motor. I will then see if I can rebuild the old motor to keep as a spare.

sheboyganjohn

Put the new winch on the trailer. Trying a Fulton F2 3200lb manual. Also put two new bow stops on. Pulled the hydraulic pump out of the boat. They definitely did not plan on it being removed with the motor in the boat. All box wrench work with 1/4 turns. At least it was only 2 bolts. Supposed to rain tomorrow night so I will work on the pump in the basement.

sheboyganjohn

Re-gapped the points tonight and found they were a bit tight,. The key switch would not start the motor due to a broken ground wire at the solenoid so I just put it to run and jumped the starter. Got it to try to start a few times so we are getting spark now. Looking over the motor there is some wiring that needs to be cleaned up before I go any further. I will work on that tomorrow. Pulled the trim pump apart. Smelled of burned electrical so the motor is shot. Was able to turn the pump easily with a screw driver so I should be good with just the new motor. That should show up tomorrow.
Going to the in water boat show in Sturgeon Bay Saturday with the wife so I will only have Sunday this weekend. Hoping to get this motor running, the tilt and trim working and the other motor in.

sheboyganjohn

A bit of an update. Had to replace both trim pumps. The first one took forever because I never checked the bag with the gasket and screws to see it had a drive coupler. I though I had one that the output shaft was too short since the original was a one piece. Got that one on and bled out. Went to bleed the second one and it died in 2 minutes. That was an easier replacement since I already did one, except I did not get the hold down screws tight and it leaked oil when I filled it so I got to remove, tighten screws and reinstall.

Got the rebuilt engine running and base timing set which was another adventure. Still could not get it to start after fixing the points gap. Pulled the fuel pump and it was full of crap from the old fuel tank and one of the checks was stuck open. Cleaned it all up and was able to get the motor started. Ran a bit then noticed it was starting to smoke a bit, no cooling. Shut it down, pulled the lower and checked the water pump it was fine. Found there was a small tear in the muffs that was letting just enough water out it would not keep the water pump fed. The muffs worked fine on my outboard two days earlier. So off to get new muffs. Was able to start and run, with cooling, on the new muffs. Got the timing set close enough to take it up to 2500 rpms for a while to break in the new lifters. Took the RPM's back down and eventually got the base timing set. It is a bear to see the timing marks in bright sun. Went to re-set the base timing today since I was running a bit too high on RPM's yesterday and had a bear of a time starting. The electric choke was stuck open. Got it started and running by holding the choke closed and reset base timing. Then I noticed a pool of oil on top of the carb. Found that I have some blow by pressure in the valve cover. I am hoping it will subside as the rings set in.

For the rest of the day it will be finish bleeding the steering system, and maybe put the other motor in. Hurt my shoulder putting the lower unit back on yesterday so I don't know if I want to mess with an engine today.

sheboyganjohn

Got the arch on tonight. Put the bimini top on the other day. Figured it was about time to add a new picture.
IMG_1659.JPG

Last edited:

sheboyganjohn

I realized that after I posted. Thanks for the link. I am looking into just getting my own site to host pictures. Then I will have to go back and rebuild the entire thread, and most likely the dory build also. I think that will end up being a winter project. I was going to look into using my ISP storage, but when I end up changing ISP 's in the future, I will be back in the same boat. Rather just have it in one place that will go with me forever. I can also have my own E-mail separate from my ISP and not having to go the gmail route.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I ended up simply uploading the pics to iboats in a smaller resolution to rebuild my few threads. I know I have more threads to work on, however that will be a weekend thing when I am done with the boat.

sheboyganjohn

Got the second motor installed. Rehung the swim platform. Gave it a good sanding to get the god awful varnish off of it. I am amazed at how well teak cleans up. Installed all the transom mounted thru hulls and screws with either 3m silicone (for way above the water line drain fitting for the transom top coolers) to 3m 5200 for all the screws at or below the water line.

Next project is figuring out the throttle cables. On either motor when I go wide open on the throttle the plate in the carb only opens about 20%. Don't now if this is some type of safety feature when you do it in neutral or if it is an issue. Just through of the neutral thing when I was typing. I will check to see if they open all the way if I do it with the engine in gear.

sheboyganjohn

My son came over tonight and we got the other drive on and the swim platform back on the boat. I am short a couple of bushing for the trim rams so I order a few, should be here by Friday. Will finish hooking up the water hoses and fuel lines tomorrow. I think I will just pull the fuel pump off and clean it out like I did the other one. Forgot to check the throttle cable in gear tonight, Will try to remember to do that tomorrow.

sheboyganjohn

Just did a little bit tonight. Put the rest of the water hoses on the second motor. Also pulled off the fuel pump to clean it out. It was full of rust powder. Cleaned our real easy. Good thing I did not try running fuel through it first. I think that is why the first one was all gunked up, I tried running it first and hydrated all the rust.

Tnstratofam

Commander
The swim platform looks real good. Amazing how nice they can turn out with a little elbow grease.

Nice catch on the fuel pump as well. Probably saved a bunch of extra carb problems from showing up.

sheboyganjohn

I am glad I caught it and did not fill the carb with rust.

The issues I am dealing with right now that have me confused are the carbs and one trim ram. I have one ram that will not retract all the way. I have removed it and I am able to stroke it by hand. I even went as far as to fill a coffee can with oil and stroke the ram in the can so it would fill up. Still gets stuck with about 15% travel left. It seems to be getting air bound. I will give it a try hooked up to the drive and see if that helps.

The next issue is with the carbs. I have played with the linkage (on one carb only) and I still cannot get the carbs to go from fully closed to fully open. I am going to have to re-read the carb set-up in the manual to see if I can figure out what I have messed up.