This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photobucket (outrageous charges)....

I have just noticed today that Photobucket will be charging.... Wait for it.... $399 PER YEAR for us to upload photos we wish to use on forums etc.

Personally, I think this outrageous, and I won't be paying them a single cent. Had they asked $40/year, or a flat fee of $100, then I would have, but $339 every year? No, not going to happen.

Most ISPs these days allow members to upload to a storage space, depending on the ISP, of anything from a few hundred mega to a few gig.... I will be utilising that for all my photos that I display here. I shall download all the photos I have on PB that I don't have already on my drive, and tell them, in a very 'non-family friendly' way, exactly what they can do with they overpriced services....

I suggest everybody who can, do the same thing.

Cheers and regards,

Chris.......
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100’ below.
    1972 Bertram ‘Bahia Mar’ 20
    2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha One Gen II (0W829301)
    (Original - 1972 '165' In-line 6. Previous - 1994 4.3LX)

Thanks for the heads up, doing it now.

Comment

Problem is every photo posted in all your threads are now blocked by PB
      Glen
      2012 SOTY Winner
      Complete Restore 1976 Hoilday 18 "ĎN THE RED" Condensed version http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...-tin-out-re-do
      Thread http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...mercruiser-120
      1986 Starcraft SS201 (Complete) "SOLD
      http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=543074
      My 79 18 SS rebuild http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....hlight=dozerii "SOLD"

Comment

Mod Edit - Pic test.

Last edited by GA_Boater; July 27th, 2017, 02:53 PM.

Comment

That worked, or at least I can see the pic.
          Last edited by ondarvr; June 30th, 2017, 05:11 AM.

Comment

I've started the conversion. It may take some time, and I'm not the only one.

Comment

Originally posted by ondarvr View Post
              That worked, or at least I can see the pic.
              I can too....

It seems somewhat random, I dont use 10% of my 'allowable' free storage, and as far as I can tell, the bulk of my posted pix are still showing up, no blocked content.

Mod EDIT: well, seems, I misspoke, until this post, I hadnt gotten the throttling reorext image from PB.

Certainly something needs to be done. Massive PITA if it torpedos even half of the PB hosted pix here... and I use it on all the forums I frequent. Carp
              Last edited by jbcurt00; June 30th, 2017, 07:27 AM.
              Money spent @ Boat Restoration should be measured in Smiles & Pride SHOP IBOATS-BOAT SPECS-FORUM HELP-REPAIR/RESTO

Comment

I've moved everything off PB, loaded it up to my ISP space and changed the links in my signature and as many of the stickie posts I have that I have found (if anyone sees any that I missed, please PM me), and deleted my PB account (and made them aware that youtube actually pays people to upload stuff!). Told them what I thought of their money-grab in the process, which was very cathartic.

Chris..........

Comment

So, since I don't have a PB account the reason I can't see photos tagged with the 3RD PARTY HOSTING is not caused by me?

Comment

No - Photobucket has made a big change. Can't tell if they've been bought or not, but their terms of service have changed. I've got the throttle box starting to show up, and have started removing my images from Photobucket. Gonna' dissolve my account and move on.
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]temp_270443_1499813187632_202[/ATTACH]

Comment

Yeah they got around to all of us now it seems... well that sucks... all 3 of my threads and sig pics are now gone and replaced with the meter. The link embed is still active. What a load.
                      1979 V5 SS140 HP Merc ...... 1970 18' Chieftain IO restoration
                      1978 16' SS160 SeaNymph .. 1970 Chieftain condensed version

Comment

I moved all my pics back to my computer for now, I didn't have that many on PB, only stuff I was linking here and other places, I haven't deleted my PB account yet though. Now to find another place to put them.

Comment

Waiting to see what happens to mine I upgraded my account 3 years ago and have been paying them $4.99 per.
                          Glen
                          2012 SOTY Winner
                          Complete Restore 1976 Hoilday 18 "ĎN THE RED" Condensed version http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...-tin-out-re-do
                          Thread http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...mercruiser-120
                          1986 Starcraft SS201 (Complete) "SOLD
                          http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=543074
                          My 79 18 SS rebuild http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....hlight=dozerii "SOLD"

Comment

I went to my PB and can see the thumbs of the linked pics but when I click on them to download the pic back locally I get that same meter on my PB page even after I severed the 3rd party hosting. Seems they figured out people were taking their pics back and have now stopped that. I can open any of the pics that were not 3rd party hosted but the ones that are have been locked. The only way to get them back is to hit share and email the pic to yourself, the pics are being held hostage... what a huge pita!
                            1979 V5 SS140 HP Merc ...... 1970 18' Chieftain IO restoration
                            1978 16' SS160 SeaNymph .. 1970 Chieftain condensed version

Comment

Originally posted by dozerII View Post
                              Waiting to see what happens to mine I upgraded my account 3 years ago and have been paying them $4.99 per.
                              Sorry but that aint gonna work either! They want the $399.99 plan if you want to host photos to 3rd party. I've got photos spread out over 7 different forums so yeah this blows dirt.

If someone has a solution I'm all ears. I believe most of my photos are all saved on my computer other than some that where only take to be uploaded to use on the forums.

1984 Lund S14 DLX, 35hp Evinrude on a Spartan Roller Tilt trailer. Sold to little brother.
                              1988 Alumacraft Classic 16 under reconstruction.
                              1984 Sea Nymph FM144 Pike Attacker, 1994 Johnson 30hp

195? Rich Line 14', the stump bumber

Comment

Working...
                              X