Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner
Re: Smart Tabs or Bennett Self-Leveling Tabs

Hi Tom;

Welcome Back!

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey guys, not to hijack the thread, but I was out in about 4-5ft of water today in my Monterey 214FS and lost one of my Smart Tabs. The clips and bolts are still there, as are the mounts and piston, just lost the tab itself.

Has anyone else ever experianced this? Both pistons had to be replaced last year because they completely lost pressure. I am beginning to think they are becoming more of a problem then they are worth.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

Just a quick note,

I am not sure where John arrived at 25 degrees being the "industry standard" for Trim Tab deflection. Since 1960 (when the original Mr. Bennett invented movable trim tabs for boats) we have made well over 1 million sets and use 20 degrees to be the deflected angle for the best ratio of lift to drag.

Also the actuators (and springs) are warranted for a 5 years in a Bennett system and cannot loose pressure.

MRS

Commander

I did order the SLT 10x10 tabs should be here any day now. I did like the fact all metal and no plastic I know plastic can work but always seems with me it will break. Plus the 10x10 size tabs will fit perfect on my transom was going for the adjustable tabs but wife drives sometimes pulling tubes and would not do good with more buttons to adjust..

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

MRS,

Very Cool! Please let me know if you have any questions and what you think after you run the boat with them.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Hey guys, not to hijack the thread, but I was out in about 4-5ft of water today in my Monterey 214FS and lost one of my Smart Tabs. The clips and bolts are still there, as are the mounts and piston, just lost the tab itself.

Has anyone else ever experianced this? Both pistons had to be replaced last year because they completely lost pressure. I am beginning to think they are becoming more of a problem then they are worth.

Surprised you even would need any kind of tabs on your 214. Our 204FS rides just fine without them. Small boats bounce a little, it's part of the fun in it.

MRS

Commander

MRS,

Very Cool! Please let me know if you have any questions and what you think after you run the boat with them.

Will do had knee surgery so since off of work now have been taking boat out to local lake. When they do get here will get them on and test next day..:joyous:

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Surprised you even would need any kind of tabs on your 214. Our 204FS rides just fine without them. Small boats bounce a little, it's part of the fun in it.

Its not the bounce, its the porpoising. It porpoises more than my Tahoe Q7 did, and that was a problem for me. It hits a rolling wake, or wave, and keeps porpoising until I trim it down. Always has. The tabs fixed that problem. they also gained me some MPG and about 3mph on a smooth lake. BUT the other day we were out on the Ocean off Key Largo in about 4-5 ft waves and when we came back into the channel to get back into Florida Bay it was leaning bad to the left. I adjusted weight(ie: humans) and it was still listing to that side. We pulled up on a beachy area and hopped out and my wife asked me if the fact that one was missing might do that.

Either way it fell off. All of the "push pin" looking things are still there, and so is the piston. BUT the tab itself was gone. I ordered another one, but if this is gonna keep happening, I need something more substantial back there. It was only $20 to replace, but I don't want to have to do it again.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

By the way, Slip Away, what year is your 204? They changed the numbers in recent years. Mine is now the 224FS. If yours is newer, then in 08 yours would have been a 194.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Our's is a 2011, so yes, formerly the 194FS. My friend in the west coast just bought a 224FS, he boats in the Pacific coast, and Cali lakes, he has no need for tabs either. That is why I wondered why your boat was so different from a similar model, but newer.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Maybe he is just not noticing it. Trust me, all the ones I have been in do the same thing. From the 4 2008s I drove when I bought mine, and the 2013 I took out about a month ago. When I trim it up at above about 40mph or so, it porpoises. No I don't "NEED" them, but they do help. We bought them for my Dad's Tahoe 215, because that was a horrible boat. He traded it in on a Sea Ray, so I inherited a brand new set of Smart Tabs. I threw them on and simply because I had them and they were brand new still. Like I said, they helped with the porpoising, a bit on the top end, and fuel efficiency. I doubt I would have bought them, and am thinking about removing them, but they did help.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Of course when my Dad drove my boat it didn't porpoise at all, but that is because he puts the engine all the way down and leaves it there until he puts it back on the trailer. So it doesn't porpoise. Of course he is plowing through the water and is using about 50% more fuel, but it doesn't porpoise. LOL...

QC

Supreme Mariner

So TOTALLY do not agree. Helm adjustable tabs are the single greatest tool you could ever add to a v-hull boat. 2nd only to a prop. OK, 3rd, engines are pretty cool too. My .02 and I don't believe size completely determines this.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

Don't disagree one bit that tabs can be helpful on SOME boats. I have had 2 cruisers that had tabs, and am quite familiar with there advantages.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Mnypitboat;

Please call our customer service at 800-233-0194 for a replacement plate under warranty. It would be helpful to know if you get into 4 to 5' waves on an ongoing basis, and at what speed you take these waves. As a matter of information, we have made numerous changes and improvements to our SX series over the years and we will continue to do so in the future. If you run hard in heavy seas then our Stainless Steel series would likely be better. In any event please call us so that we can make sure you are satisfied.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Don't disagree one bit that tabs can be helpful on SOME boats. I have had 2 cruisers that had tabs, and am quite familiar with there advantages.
And the only place we differ is that I think those advantages translate to all v-hulls. Completely understood that budget is another discussion, but I don't believe there are boats that are too small. If I could have some little teeny tabs for my 14 ft. tinny, helm adjustable, and cheap, I'd do it ;)

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

mnypitboat;

I just read your post again and the reference to the "pushpins" indicates that these tabs are from our first generations back in 2007. The design improvements were made within 8 months of the first run. I would suggest that you call us so that we can provide you with a new system.

Slip Away

Lieutenant

And the only place we differ is that I think those advantages translate to all v-hulls. Completely understood that budget is another discussion, but I don't believe there are boats that are too small. If I could have some little teeny tabs for my 14 ft. tinny, helm adjustable, and cheap, I'd do it ;)

I'm with ya now. Some tabs can rarely hurt on any boat, now if I can only find some tabs for my kayak :laugh:

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

The fully deployed angle will vary somewhat from one boat to the next and will be affected by the transom angle. However, our Smart Tab transom brackets are designed so that this angle can be adjusted to suite the individual boat. This mounting position can also be made with Bennett trim tabs. Since the Bennett SLT tabs permit the customer to change the mounting position (angle of deployment) as a means of increasing or decreasing stern lift.

Smart Tabs separate lift adjustments and angle adjustment.

More interesting is the broad range of application for the two models of SLT tabs. The SLT6 (6"x8") tabs cover 10' to 14' boats, and the SLT10 covers 15' to 20 ' boats without respect for engine size, HP, or boat weight. Conversely the Bennett hydraulic systems have an extensive assortment of plate sizes and styles so that the product is appropriately chosen for the specific boat.

The Bennett application recommendation on their web site suggest this:

"When making a choice between trim tab sizes, remember that the largest trim tabs that will comfortably fit on the transom will be the most efficient.
As a rule, choose at least one inch of trim tab span (per side) for every foot of boat length. (Examples: 22-foot boat = no less than 24" x 9", 36-foot boat = no less than 36" x 9"."

In short what we are saying is that the trim plates should be proportionate to the boat size along with other considerations. Nauticus offers plate sizes (7"x8" tabs, 9"x8" tabs, 9.5"x10" tabs, 10.5"x12" tabs, 12"x9" tabs) in both stainless steel and composite material, with 5 different actuator pressures to cover the same 10' to 20' boats range. We try to provide the most appropriate product for each boat application by size, adjustment capability, and model selection.

Tabman

iboats.com Partner

Bennett recommends the SLTs for boats 10 to 20 feet. The spring actuators are different strength for the 2 sizes and can be swapped if need be.

The sizing guidelines John quoted are for our "classic" remotely adjustable hydraulic Trim Tab systems, not the SLTs. This is because they actually angle up from the transom when fully retracted. This puts them above the waterflow and "turns off" the lift they create, thus making it OK to use a larger Trim Plane surface that might cause too much lift and drag in a self adjusting system.

We limit these two SLT sizes from 10 -20 foot boats.

Looking at the Smart Tabs sizing recommendations they recommend them for boats 9 - 30 ft. long.

Last edited: