"Save The Manatee "

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Been a while on this project ... Looking forward to getting back on it ... Did some sanding on the gell coat yesterday .. burned though a couple spots . I have decided to sand the really bad OP gell down then prime and paint it .. Really tired of trying to make it shine ... Paper is still gumming up so I used a little soapy water and that helped with the gumming up a lot .. Got a few things to do before I get back at full swing with it ...
Need to finally set up that big yellow beast of an air compressor thats been sitting in the garage for a year . :facepalm:
got a few little things to do on the MFG to get it ready for a ACBS gathering coming up in September ... There is an event at the NAS Jax navy base that I plan to help with . It's like a big picnic for the sailors and their family and the Sunnyland Chapter provide boat rides for them for a few hours .. Should be fun!!
Also plan on getting started on the Wagemaker at the same time as the Manatee ... Hopefully !
Got a really large 5 story building at work that I am running now also .... Alot on the plate these next few months ..
Wish me luck ! :lol:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Welcome back Sam

Good luck w the boats, the sailor cruise in and work.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Ha ha..Great to see you back. Yea I'm still here. I never did see the finish pics of the patioe.
Reallt looking forward you you getting dem boats arolling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys ! Never really left but did stop with the boat stuff while the odk was going on .. Glad to have that for the most part done ... Lightning took out my tv and cable box out there the other day so I had to replace them .. I may do a short walk through vid of the finished kitchen ... The Admiral is happy so that's all that really matters ..;)
I have so much stuff I really want to get going on but man it's hard to find the time .. 10 hr days this week but a 3 day weekend coming up ! :)
I think I'm gunna turn my phone off around lunch time Friday to avoid those "I really need your help this weekend " calls ya get from the other job supervisors ...:twitch:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
4- 10,s and 2- 8's for this guy since last post .. But I did get most of all the sanding done with the little time I have had off ... Took all the op off with 80 grit and then going over everything with some 120 .. Just about ready for primer . Have not made up my mind yet on what paint to go with ... Think I will step it up a little from the enamel .. This one will take much more abuse than the MFG ...Maybe a 2 part epoxy ? IDK ...
Any suggestions ?

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Hey good to read ya! Don't know much @ paint though would like to see the kitchen vid. Tough schedule there Sam...more $$ to spend on the boats and kitchen. :rolleyes:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Sam I like DuPont's automotive urethane, but its pricey. A little cheaper is Nason's (basically DuPont's economy line). I used Nason on Fuggly and it laid up nicely. Miss Morgan has DuPont on her, and it has held up extremely well. Great shine, super hard and scratch resistant. She does have a few scratches here and there, mostly dock rash. She sets so low it is almost impossible to use fenders. Its expensive, but I am really happy with it. Have you looked at the marine top side paints? A guy on here used Pettit Easypoxy on here when I was building Miss Morgan. He seemed really happy with it and it is a lot cheaper than the automotive route.

zool

Captain
If you stop in the PPG store, price out Delfleet essential, its the budget line of their evolution truck paint. Its a single stage poly that is tough as nails when cured. Its a little tricky to lay up cause it dries slow like Awlgrip, but jut as shiny and its more repairable...comes in any color you want.....

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
That is the nice thing about the automotive paint, any color you can dream of and metalics. I will say I was surprised at how forgiving the single stage Nason I used on Fuggly was. Zool is the Delfleet a catalyzed product? Just wondering, most of the automotive paints I have used tack up in about 15 to 30 min. Haven't used PPG in years, but they always had a good acrylic enamel. Now that you mention it, seems like their urethane were a little fussy, but that was 20 years ago.......gee I am getting old!

zool

Captain
That is the nice thing about the automotive paint, any color you can dream of and metalics. I will say I was surprised at how forgiving the single stage Nason I used on Fuggly was. Zool is the Delfleet a catalyzed product? Just wondering, most of the automotive paints I have used tack up in about 15 to 30 min. Haven't used PPG in years, but they always had a good acrylic enamel. Now that you mention it, seems like their urethane were a little fussy, but that was 20 years ago.......gee I am getting old!

Yea Arch, its catalyzed, its actually a hybrid between a full linear poly like Awlgrip, or Sterling, and an Acrylic Urethane like Awlcraft 2000,PPG concept, Nason, Ect....though its proprietary, its most likely chemically similar to Dupont Imron...Alot of those big shiny fiberglass Semi Tractors, and Dump Trucks are refinished with it....

Spray only on all PPG refinish products as far as I know.....Awlgrip can be roll/tip...but who has the patience for that :eek::lol:

zool

Captain
No CC if u dont want it Sam and u dont need it, just a tack coat,and 2 wet coats and done..no cut or buff either, it goes on as sprayed...