"Save The Manatee "

zool

Captain
You moving down here Zool? Don't forget to pack some bug spray ! :lol:
Gunna try and shoot some primer after work tomorrow if I can get out of there soon enough .. Been a long time since I painted anything with the hvlp ...
Hope I remember how to do it .. What does it mean the air pressure at the air cap ? the pressure going into the gun or coming out of the tip ?
I have 4 tips for the Devilbiss gun . FLG-332-13K /15K/18K, /and 22K ... Primer sheet says use between 1.3 - 1.7 tip .. So should I try the 15K tip I have or the 18K ?
Not sure how those numbers relate to tip size ... :facepalm:

Yup!, Not tomorrow, but we've been planning it for a while,at least part time :)

Pressure at cap=regulator right before gun

1.5 is fine for essential, thats what I would use, 1.8 is for heavy build primer, not sure what you chose.

13k=1.3 ect

I run a regulator at the main filter to restrict pressure to let the filter work, ........at the gun, use what the tech sheet say, but keep in mind, the higher the pressure at the gun, the better the atomization, but at higher pressure, you bounce alot of paint, and get overspray and waste.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
It's the 3.5 primer surfacer ... The guy said it was a build primer ...

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I have always had my regulator at the gun, sometimes that comes in handy, But that is all preference. I also use a small desiccant filter between the gun and regulator.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Alls I kowed Is that going to Fla is that it's "Gods next big/last waiting room." Just saying ya know. I hate the cold too!

religion-god-god_s_waiting_room-gods_waiting_room-bosses-big_bosses-jfa1157_low.jpg

71a98e926db83bda2e61c1a2316eeaa4.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Kc ,as I post this sitting in my fork lift waiting on my crew to unload some drywall . I realize that I've been in the waiting room since birth .
Just glad it's warm !
Arch that's how I have it set up .filter , gauge, then gun .
Come on 3:30 !!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
In a rush got one coat of primer on ... As usual in a hurry and already tired had a few mishaps .. Getting dark setting up the gun with different tip and instead of running some acetone through it which I did yesterday before putting the paint in the cup . Couldn't get it spraying right at all ... Dumped primer back into cup and took the gun apart ... Big dummy me somehow managed to get 2 of the little plastic seals under the tip ..:facepalm:. Got that fixed and went with the 1.5 tip ... Spraying pretty good . A bit thin but looking ok ... Was gunna spray another coat but noticed a lot of fuzz everywhere ... What the crap ? Son in law was helping me and used a terry looking cloth with some acetone on it for a pre spray wipe down ... Bad choice of rag .. Soooo gunna give it a sanding in the morning and shoot 1 or 2 more coats on ... It was a bug fest also ... I may change to the 1.8 tip ... I really like this primer though ...
Any of you guy wear glasses ? I have to wear them now and it really stinks ... I was using my full face respirator . I tried to wear the glasses under the mask but just could not get a good seal with the glasses on ...My half faced res is shot or I would just use some reading glasses to spray ...

chevymaher

Commander
Every time I open your thread to read I giggle. It reminds me of the old joke. Save the manatees club a baby seal. (Insert whale where manatee is).

Looking forward to seeing how this part turns out with the spraying.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Chevy , If you saw how bad this hull was when I bought it for 30 bucks you would understand how I came up with the thread title in about 2 seconds ..Then again I have never been one to be very PC .. :lol: Slowly I have been administering antibiotics and physical therapy .. Been giving her a belly rub for a long time now and getting close to rolling her over with a new lease on life to be placed back to it's natural environment ..
Looking forward to splash day for this old sea cow "Prop Scar" ;)

chevymaher

Commander
Yea I am not so politically correct either. Being politically correct just means you are a mindless sheep being led to the slaughter.

Right and wrong don't change. Politically correct changes on a constant basis depending on who is lobbying and how much money they got.

zool

Captain
I wear glasses too now, but i mostly need them for distance, so I dont need the, them to paint....I guess contact lenses would sove the problem, but I dont use them because I dont like poking myself in the eyes all the time :) I use a half face and no glasses but thats not really safe.

If ur not relying on the primer to smooth things out further, then thin coats are better, consider the 1st coat u did as the sealer, and add another medjum coat as a tie coat, for your top coats. looks like your recoat window is 4 days for primer to primer, which is nice...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Been really considering lasic surgery idk . What I do know is I hate wearing glasses .. :nerd:Maybe I could cut the handles back a bit on a pair of readers just inside the seal of the mask ..
Got it all sanded down nicely 320 wet then followed up with a wet scotch bright pad to get all the sanding yucky off ... I think I will try the 1.8 tip this go around . Shoot a coat then decide if another coat is needed .. The wind has picked up a little so the water should dry up pretty quick ... Sun just broke up the fog. I guess we are in the lower 80's today ...

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Ah the joys of painting.....the drawback to anything automotive is once you catalyze it you are pregnant! That seems to be when things go wrong lol! I do have to use reading glasses now...but I use a half face respirator. Sometimes you really don't want to see it anyway :D

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yeah I turned around the corner of the garage the other day and he was about 4 ft up on the wall staring at me .. :eek:
I think it was after frogs or lizards