jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Rough and ready '74 Starcraft Chieftan 18' rebuild

starcraftcabin.jpg

That Chieftain looks... uhhh... neutered without the top glass.:sleeping:

jbcurt00

Staff member

That Chieftain looks... uhhh... neutered without the top glass.

Well, yeah, it's a Starchief :sleeping:

But w/ out canvas, I still don't think there's much to gain w/ upper glass.... And for a quick turn around for this season to confirm cabin is the way to go, less is more :cool: But it's just IMHO, and ask my admiral, my opinion is often wrong :facepalm:

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

I would seriously think about finishing both boats,...

Heck,....It looked like you have all of the demo done on the glasser already,...

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I'd advertise the glasser trailer on Craigslist for $150 and you get a free project boat with all the demo done to go with it... or just advertise the boat alone for $50, somebody will take it and you won't have to get all itchy cutting it up and have $50 taboot.

It's a well know fact that fiberglass exposure causes delusions of grandeur.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Some of you have talked about having an extended season keeping the cabin, If the upper windshield is emasculated the season will still end when cold wind in your face is too much. I pulled my W/S for a little while and the cold brought tears to my eyes. Put it back on and cold was much more bearable. 30-40 pounds of glass on top won't really make any C/G change or wind resistance when towing or cruising. Add a bimini to keep rain/sun off you when stopped or make a convertible top for driving drier. I say keep the W/S..

And keep the cabin too. Plenty of fishing room in her, either trolling, casting, or D/Sing. First, it is nice when the weather blows up as a place to get out of it and most important, the Admiral already said she liked it.

Just my two pennies, but the end choice is yours, Chem.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I only meant W/S removal for this 1 season, not forever, and when the wind in my face gets to cold, I'd want the W/S & the canvas., so for towards the end of this coming season, it'd be time to start thinking about finishing some details, and making some changes....

Wasn't the original plan to do as little as possible to get it in the water this spring? Which means little to no significant work to the cabin's interior..... So the boat won't be fully outfitted & thus underweight anyway. Rough & ready to me also means no canvas, and no bimini..... Long term, no, either (both?) would be a great addition, required even. But maybe in year 2 or 3 @winter boat work. Canvas is not inexpensive....

W/out the OB it towed ok, but tongue heavy. Putting the OB on, will hopefully improve tongue weight & towing. Less wind resistance, having no upper W/S, behind a smallish Subaru tow rig, would also improve how it tows, IMHO.......

Just put it out there, I got no horse in this race. I do like to watch 'em run though. No bets since Giacomo, that was kind of a high water mark for me.....

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

All of this is true... especially the mocking part...

If I were you, I'd lean towards keepin' the cabin....

It's lookin' like things are definitely leaning that way at this point.

Now here is a great idea!!!

Keep the cabin,...Look back I might have given that as one of the options I thought about yesterday,....

Get the aluminum boat done a functioning so you can use it,...

And then finish the glasser and make it into your fishing only dream machine,....Best of all worlds!!!!

Well, part of the reason I'm not finishing it is the cost of poly resin and shipping. I think if I really want a pure fishing machine in the future I'll just get a little tiller tin boat.

The upper most glass won't do much for you in a Rough & Ready push to get it in useable shape for this coming season, unless you get new canvas. Canvas won't be inexpensive, so may not be a 1st year priority.

If you remove it, you'll have a smaller front profile, so less wind resistance while towing. Less structure up high, so a light weight (compared to a similar size glasser) tinny may not get blown about as much when anchored or slow trolling.... Less weight up high also lowers the center of gravity, which to me over comes the weight reduction of removing the upper glass.

These are all points to consider, but I'll provide a little more info: my ramp is only 1.7 miles from the house on a 25 mph posted street, so it's not a big deal for towing. I probably won't be going to other lakes very often, if at all.

I would seriously think about finishing both boats,...

Heck,....It looked like you have all of the demo done on the glasser already,...

Ha...you really do like this idea!

I'd advertise the glasser trailer on Craigslist for $150 and you get a free project boat with all the demo done to go with it... or just advertise the boat alone for $50, somebody will take it and you won't have to get all itchy cutting it up and have $50 taboot.

It's a well know fact that fiberglass exposure causes delusions of grandeur.

I'll post it up there and see what happens. I thought about converting the old bunk trailer to a utility, but it's not really right with the tapered front section. Unfortunately, there's currently a glut of cheap trailers on CL here, most of them nicer than mine. I'll see if anybody bites.

Add a bimini to keep rain/sun off you when stopped or make a convertible top for driving drier. I say keep the W/S..

And keep the cabin too. Plenty of fishing room in her, either trolling, casting, or D/Sing. First, it is nice when the weather blows up as a place to get out of it and most important, the Admiral already said she liked it.

Yeah, I see the reasoning in both arguments for the top WS, but I think it will stay. I may just mount a cheap non-fitted bimini for now.

Wasn't the original plan to do as little as possible to get it in the water this spring? Which means little to no significant work to the cabin's interior..... So the boat won't be fully outfitted & thus underweight anyway. Rough & ready to me also means no canvas, and no bimini..... Long term, no, either (both?) would be a great addition, required even. But maybe in year 2 or 3 @winter boat work. Canvas is not inexpensive....

W/out the OB it towed ok, but tongue heavy. Putting the OB on, will hopefully improve tongue weight & towing. Less wind resistance, having no upper W/S, behind a smallish Subaru tow rig, would also improve how it tows, IMHO.......

Just put it out there, I got no horse in this race. I do like to watch 'em run though. No bets since Giacomo, that was kind of a high water mark for me.....

JB, thanks for all the input, man. I do think I'll just keep the WS on it, part of the reason being a lack of good storage space. I'd hate to damage it.

Slightly off-topic here, but I found it kind of reassuring to see this photo of an old Starchief 18 with an OMC 70 on it. Almost every other OB one I've seen has a 115+. I'm not gonna be pullin' skiers or anything, so hopefully I'll be good to cruise in the low 20s.

lHhHgOm.jpg

Another thing to go along with my quick, on the cheap plan is a question about gauges...about the only one that I'd see being important is a tach, and my control has the plug for it. Am I missing anything here? I've got sonar and will probably get a cheap-o GPS unit.

I'm loving all the help so far guys, thanks a lot! We're going to have a high of -5F here tomorrow. I think my initial cleanup will have to wait 'till this cold snap breaks.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

I just called my local transfer station...they'll take the boat and all the junk I can fit in it for $35, then I'll put the trailer up for sale. I also looked at my local CL, and those "nicer" trailers aren't really as I advertised them to be...just having working lights should get me $150-200 for it.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

In addition to a tach, I think a fuel gauge might come in handy.;)

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

In addition to a tach, I think a fuel gauge might come in handy.;)

Could be beyond my level of expertise. I was thinking of sealing that 18 gallon tank, and installing a deck plate over the gauge, assuming that it works.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Going back and looking at the tank pic, I think the visual gauge can be replaced with an electrical one so you could put a gauge on the dash. If you rely on opening a deck plate to check fuel level, you will forget - at least once.

Do you know where the tank was mounted originally? Prob under the splashwell, but I'm not sure on your SC.

Good move on keeping the windshield. If you have trouble with the keeping W/S and towing with the Subie, it's time for a more capable tow wagon. Do you know the tow rating of the Subie and max weight of the Chieftain?

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

GA Boater, I have no idea where that tank was originally. It was leaning against the trailer tongue when I dug it out of the seller's side yard. Do you think it would have been above the deck but under the splashwell? Under the deck in the bilge? The internal tank thing will be completely new to me, so I'm going to have tons of questions when I get to that point. I was just thinking about the tank area venting, in fact.

The Subaru is rated for 2000#, believe it or not. Don't ask SOA, though, as it's not even rated in the US due to a hitch's effect on rear crash tests, I think (gotta keep that 5 star rating). In Canada and the rest of the less litigious world, it's rated for 2K. It didn't struggle too much on hills on the way home, and I'll never be dragging the boat too far. Braking is the main concern, so I'll just drive slow and give myself lots of room. Dry weight of the boat, I think, is just under 1K, plus fuel, engine, trailer is probably getting close to the limit. I also have a beater old mazda, which will be scrapped for a light truck at some point.

Back to the original point, you think I can just get a sending unit and wire it to a new gauge? I guess I don't see why not.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Somebody also asked where I was going to put the batteries. No clue. I'd like to keep them away from the fuel if that is going to be topside, yet close to the starter. Splashwell area? There are plastic battery boxes in the heap of rubble in the cockpit, so I'm thinking they were probably in the stern somewhere.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

With that light motor and the cabin up front there won't be any problems putting batteries and fuel tank in the stern area.

... btw, a clean stick can be classified as a fuel gauge if you can dip it down directly into the tank.;)

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

With that light motor and the cabin up front there won't be any problems putting batteries and fuel tank in the stern area.

... btw, a clean stick can be classified as a fuel gauge if you can dip it down directly into the tank.;)

I worked on 40 ton steel ferries where I grew up, and the notched stick method was as high tech as they got.

Do you guys see metal tanks installed above deck on similar boats?

edit to clarify; I was originally thinking under the deck in the rear bilge, just ahead of the bilge pump area.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Do you guys see metal tanks installed above deck on similar boats?

edit to clarify; I was originally thinking under the deck in the rear bilge, just ahead of the bilge pump area.

My 17 gallon plastic tank is installed above the main deck:
DSC02205.jpg

... but it's concealed below the rear casting deck:
reartank_zps09e62fd0.jpg

My 2 batteries are also under that rear deck behind the fuel tank in those pics. No problems getting on plane or being arse heavy.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Awesome, jig. Perfect photographic example. Thanks. That's a nice boat, too.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

That's a nice boat, too.

Thanks, I ripped all of the nasty azz carpet out of it and installed that marine vinyl instead... one of the best things I ever did for my boat. Water sheds right off and dried fish blood doesn't even stain it.