Fuel Tank Problem - HELP !!!!

OK, chalk this up to I should know when to leave well enough alone. I'm restoring/rebuilding a 1979 Checkmate and was cleaning up the fuel tank. I decided to remove the fuel pick-up to inspect the pick-up tube. BAD DECISION. Here's a photo of how that turned out.

AIM000437.jpg

SOOO.... How do I repair my screw up?

Also, how far off the bottom of the tank should the new pick-up tube sit?

Thanks

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Fuel Tank Problem - HELP !!!!

you need an ez out and maybe a heat gun (NOT FLAME).... I'd say the pickup should be very nearly touching the bottom.... 1/4"

jonesg

Admiral

Theres a few ways, ez outs should be called ez snaps.
As soon as the ez-out starts to grip, it will force the threaded tube against the mating thread. Its worth a shot though, worst case scenario is you have to cut the section out.

Or , flush , fill it with water and tig the fitting in place.

Or use a sawzall , cut an access hatch around the broken fitting, 6x6 inch.
Drill holes at each corner and insert sawzall blade with metal cutting teeth.
Buy some alum plate to make a bigger cover, drill/tap/screw and seal it over the opening. Clean the tank out while you're in there.

MAke sure to use teflon thread seal to prevent this in future, they make a teflon tape designed for gasoline fittings. Alum to alum can gall up and auto-weld itself. The broken fitting might be better if it was brass.

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

if you can get tank out,take it to a radiator shop,they can fix it.and use brass or plastic

Spinnaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

First off, what kind of material was that broken 90 made of? I would suggest drilling it out with a drill bit as close to the threads without drilling the threads out and re-tap the threads with a NPT pipe tap. Be sure to use a stainless steel fitting in the aluminum tank. When installing fittings in aluminum ALWAYS put stainless fittings between the aluminum and bronze or aluminum fitting. Never, never, never put bronze/brass directly into aluminum.

It just freeking kills me to see some of the suggestions people make before doing their research. :mad: