who shrink wraps their boat?

mphy98

Lieutenant
Re: who shrink wraps their boat?

I use a couple of canvas covers for mine. BUT... Last time I checked plastic was one of the things we recycle. It is cheaper to recycle plastic than make new. So it is no less green than anything else if you do it properly. Please refrain from judging others as I am sure we all have done and will do things that other people would either shake their head at or get totally bent out of shape at. Life is too short to get blood pressure up over something you have no control over. Just my 2 cents worth.

paulspaddle

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sorry if I sounded brash....

"some" plastic is recyclable....

Bondo

Staff member

Honestly I couldn't help but think what a stupid wasteful idea. So people 'feel' better having their boat all snuggley and wrapped, but what about all that plastic!! Arg...ignorance! There are so many better ways to protect a boat than a one time wrap like this.

Ayuh,... There's an outfit from WV. that comes up around here to the Marinas on the lake,+ river than picks up most All of it for recycling....
I've seen their truck at several places...

paulspaddle

Ok, maybe I should have done a bit of reading before I wrote that.

Yes, there are recycling programs for shrink wrap. In general it is made of low density poly which in theory is recyclable.

Locally there is a movement away from plastic bags in stores as even though they are recyclable they are mostly ending in the landfill. The earth friendlier option is to bring your own cloth bag.

So even though shrinkwrap can be recycleable...there are 'greener' options out there.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I'm all for going green but kinda hard to point the finger if you blow through 100 gals of gas for a weekend of floating around..... a few hundred clams spent on plastic is far greener than any type of cover for a motorized boat if that plastic is a kayak and a paddle..... glass houses and stones are never a good match....

skargo

Banned

I ordered an aluminum and steel carport, 12'x26' for $1600 installed, since my pole barn is full. I figured I could get it wrapped, but in a few years, it would pay for this shelter I bought. Plus I can work on it as it's right next to my pole barn with electric, air, etc.
Purely a financial decision.

paulspaddle

It's easy to point fingers in this age of the 'green movement'...."How green are you?"

I have friends who use a sawdust toilet in their garage and are constantly looking for ways to make their eco-foot print smaller....my lifestyle must horrify them, but they are good folks and have never told me as such.

I don't knock someone for driving a big vehicle or boat or how many toys they have. So you want a big boat....cool, fine, but it doesn't give licence to using it ineffecently. I don't care that someone drives a big vehicle with a big motor, but it doesn't make sense both eco and economically to leave that big motor idle for 1/2 hours warming it up in the morning before work.

And so the wrap....in my opinion, it doesn't seem to make eco and financial sense when the alternatives are easy.

This is a touchy subject filled with landmines especially in a pleasure boat forum.....wanna talk politics anyone....NOT!

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm curious what kind of alternatives are available to wrapping other than a shelter/garage/inside storage/etc that would be greener than shrinkwrap.

I agree that the wrap is a waste, I'm just not sure some other type of non structure based cover will work as well.

I've even seen those reusable tarp based systems but even those have a number of problems including not vented tarps, still hard to secure to avoid flapping in the wind causing damage, etc.

Bondo

Staff member

I'm curious what kind of alternatives are available to wrapping other than a shelter/garage/inside storage/etc that would be greener than shrinkwrap.

Ayuh,... I guess you don't like the recycled used billboard,..??
Recycled Green dry winter storage... For Under a hundred Bucks...

jtcnj

Cadet

ok, i have trouble covering my trailered 21' outboard walkaround, usually wet snow caves everything in. I really cant afford shrink wrap, rather budget for everything else involved in having a boat. So, anybody got a good frame design to tarp over??

skargo

Banned

ok, i have trouble covering my trailered 21' outboard walkaround, usually wet snow caves everything in. I really cant afford shrink wrap, rather budget for everything else involved in having a boat. So, anybody got a good frame design to tarp over??

I know I saw an awesome thread here about this very subject, do some searching, I'm sure it will pop up for you.

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

I specifically bought the biggest boat I could that would still fit in my garage. Put the cockpit cover on it, and sigh every time I go into the garage. Man I hate winter....I love the billboard idea...if we move I am going to get one. The 'gentlemans' club idea is awesome! :D

Ian

kregars

Cadet

Build a 2x4 A-Frame. I used door hinges at the apex and then ran 2in Schedule 40 along the top and then lashed the pipe to the A-Frames. I then tied every 2nd a frame down to cleats on opposing side to minimize forward and aft movement of the framing in high winds.

I bought a 20 x 40 ft tarp (boat is a proline 260 which is 26.6ft hull but with the anchor pulpit and the outboards hanging off the back it's more like 34 foot). place the tarp along the center line and then starting from the mid point of the boat, I pulled the lines under the boat along the keel and tied them tight. Work your way one eyelet forward and then one back until your at the Stern and the Bow. Fold the tarp to create a clean taught look/feel. I used duct tape to strengthen the folds where I placed gator clips and then ran the line to the trailer tongue making sure to keep the lines tight so minimize wind being able to catch and create a weak spot. on the Stern I did the same thing but I placed 2 ground anchor (screw in type from tractor supply) and worked my way down from the top of the structure to the bottom most part of the tarp.

Another thing I just did this weekend (friday before we got snow) was to add a dryer vent. I utilized the opening in the anchor pulpit to feed the line down. I added a vent cover to prevent rodents from climbing in through the line. This will allow some air flow through the boat. There is also a piece of dryer vent exiting the rear of the boat at the last a-frame structure feeding out the rear. On the back I used plain screen material to prevent bugs from getting in (I also place some mothballs on the deck in a bowl and some in the vents lines to hopefully keep the lil critters from making their winter home on my boat).

Once you have everything tied down, be sure to place some padding to prevent chafing of the tarp. I used the wash cloths from BJ's (in their cleaning aisle). I backed this up with duct tape for added protection (might have been overdoing it but I think it will help).

If you need pics, let me know..as I FINALLY got my camera back and can take some pics of the framing and pipes...the vents will be a bit more difficult to get pics of due to the way I have them hung.

tallcanadian

Captain

I wanted to have my 15' tri hull done but not for nearly 300 bucks. I got 3 nice big plastic tarps wrapped around her. It will do.

Hdmoto

Recruit

Howdy all,

I just joined this forum and was out looking around. I found some great information about cleaning and repair that I was looking for.

On the question of shrink-wrapping a boat, I actually have a small business that does this for boat owners.

The plastic that I use is made from virgin materials and is 100% recyclable.
In fact, I do provide a service to my customers to come back in the spring and pick up the plastic and haul it to the recyclers for them.

Venting is an issue and is handled by applying the proper amount of vents to the wrap, (by boat size).

Where I live, snow accumulation is a problem with canvas covers during the winter months and also wind flapping the canvas against gel-coat.
Snow will slide off the plastic, and because it's "drum" tight, won't flap in the wind.

It really is rather easy to do, and with a couple of friends going in together on a kit, can be very reasonable, and pay for itself in a couple of seasons.

This is a great forum, I expect to learn a lot.