Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
That looks like it will buff out real nice Arch. Looking forward to seeing her all shiny!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I'm ready to see her shinny too, nurseman! it should look better next time Willyclay, the buffer came in today:D. I spent the evening trying to sort out the spacer at the edge of the deck, next to the gunnel. I think I finally have a plan, I'll post pics as it moves along.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I came up with a plan of attack last night for the leg piece that supports the edge of the deck...cut out some lumber and glued up a couple of pieces. Trimmed it to match the original, put it in the boat......looked at how it was fitting, took it out and got out the sketch pad, tape and strait edge.....back to the drawing board.

I think I came up with a hybrid plan, the only thing that will be different is the front 4' of deck / support leg. I was scratching my head on how they got 1/2" plywood to bend in two directions up there. Plywood doesn't like to do that....I went back and looked at a piece of the old deck, it was 3/8"! I have some half inch, so that is what I am running with. The new plan changes the front section so that it only bends in one direction. The back half of next sheet back will actually bend the other direction......anyhow it all makes sense in my head now. I have a lot of measuring, layout, and cutting to do tomorrow. this would be so much easier if it just had stingers!

Last edited:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Quick update, I think I have a new plan on the deck now. This is my plywood layout, showing how each piece is curved, I wish I could make the deck flat, but that isn't going to happen on this girl......

The top is a chart for measuring the curve on the bottoms of the legs that support the deck edge.....they made this one complicated!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
The plan worked, got the first two legs and deck cut out, fits like a glove. The next legs will go a lot faster since they are flat on the bottom.

It was a nice feeling to walk on a deck again!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I got the second full sheet on, next I have a couple smaller pieces, and the triangle shaped pieces up front.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Nice chart ! Is it to scale ? :D The architect prolly snuck in one of those" Do Not Scale Drawings" notes in there . Hopefully he overlayed the mech and elect drawings so all the hieghts work out ...:rolleyes: :lol:
Looks good arch ! The beginnings of a nice dance floor.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Nice chart ! Is it to scale ? :D The architect prolly snuck in one of those" Do Not Scale Drawings" notes in there . Hopefully he overlayed the mech and elect drawings so all the hieghts work out ...:rolleyes: :lol:
Looks good arch ! The beginnings of a nice dance floor.

HAHA, I hate it when they pull that " Not to scale" carp!!! In my world, the the new" completely useless thing is non dimensional drawings....real nice for the designer, worthless to the guy trying to actually build was he designed....

No offence intended Arch....!!! :lol:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
My note says "do not scale unless the architect determines that you can read a scale"......:D Good guys get to scale, idiots don't get to:joyous:

Its always the pipe fitters and the sprinkler lines Sam :D:D:D

Trust me I lecture a lot on dimensions in my office....I grew up laying out framing. "ok, so your dimensions are tied to the center-line of an existing column that is buried in a wall that we are keeping......how do you think they are going to measure to the center of the column????"

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
"ok, so your dimensions are tied to the center-line of an existing column that is buried in a wall that we are keeping......how do you think they are going to measure to the center of the column????"
The dimensions off the original as built or peal the base back and cut a hole .. :joyous:
Then dig into the fireproofing . :lol:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
That light gray stuff sprayed on the column....that won't burn, even if placed in the center of the sun? lol.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Nice vids arch ! I was a bit confused with all the slopes but seeing the deck go down it all kinda makes sense now .. Good idea marking where the screws go . I could see myself drilling right through the hull .. Makes my ankles sore watching you walk around on the hull .. :lol:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Funny Sam, I was thinking this morning, 'damn that was complicated for a simple boat...." I have another odd ball detail around the motor mount, other than that I think I can get the rest of it cut out today.

I also need to put the limber holes in the forward bulkhead. I think those are going to be more like slots than holes. Basically drilling a couple of holes.1" or so, a few inches apart, Then taking the jigsaw and cutting out the material between them. I think that will be a lot easier to tab in with the deck than trying to seal between the deck and the hole. That just looks like a great place for water to get under the deck. But that shouldn't be a big issue once I replumb the uppper deck drains so they actually drain out the side of the deck, not onto the deck below! Once I get the pieces cut out in front of the bulk head I can make that call.

I need to paint up there also before I put the upper part of the bulkhead in. I still cant decide between the bildge coat and gelcoat. Whatever I do, I'm going to do the same thing for motor well. I've heard good things about both.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
One other thought, that zolitone was harder than hell.....I might even talk myself into painting the transom and bow area with something like this.

Then use the gray bilgecoat in the motor well? Any thoughts? We have an architectural zolitone rep, bet I could get a good deal on it if I went that direction.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I did "Faux Zolatone" on my deck and didn't find it to be that difficult at all!!!! Seems to be holding up pretty well. But..I am a Dumb Old Okie so that may make a difference!!!:eek::D