Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I edited a couple videos from last week over coffee this morning

Here is building the collar part 1

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Still trying to get caught up on video so I can post today's stuff!

Tabbing and motor mount

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Here are some of the pics.

This is the funnel I built for the transom. Its overkill but I had the break out and the sheetmetal, so why not. One thing about seacast is you have to do your homework and be ready. A good funnel makes life really easy. Pouring this is actually the easiest part of the project.

This is the one I built for the forward bulkhead

Welds aren't that pretty, but they work!

This is the fiber they send you, basically old ground up hulls.

Basic 5 gallon buckets and the harder. You mix it up, then put in the harder, and finally the fiber. Takes about 10 minutes all together

It was 82 or so today, I bet we had an hour of working time. but it only took 10 minutes to get the material placed.

Here is a shot of the transom after the pour. Notice you can see the smurf puke color.....I liked the red hardener better!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Funnels worked great . Did you use all the fibers ?
Shame you had to order more but at least theres no cold joint with the stuff ..I like the smurf color ! Matches the boat .. :D

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Yeah I was happy with the funnel Sam. Seems like the bigger the better when trying to pour that stuff. I did use all the fibers, I figure I have them, why not! I don't think leaving the 20% our would make a difference anyhow. Its weird how lumpy it is, but fluid at the same time.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Ok it's had time to cool off .. Whats the assessment ? Feel like a tank ? :D

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Ordered another 5 gallons of resin today and one more 5 gallon bucket of seacast. So we should be good to go to wrap up the seacast and get the deck in next weekend.

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sweet work with that seacast man. Very cool how you made molds for the keyhole and inner skin very well thought out, and that funnel you whipped up is great. That boat's gonna last forever haha! How much do you think the boat weighs now? Is the seacast about the same density as wood when cured? Sorry if somebody already asked that.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks Woeismeigota470. Seacast is actually pretty light. I figured it would be heavy the first time I used it, but it isn't. They say its is the same weight as wood, which of course varies with the species. My guess is it is comparable in weight to a good grade fir plywood. I have some seacast spacers left, I was thinking about cutting out a couple of wood piecs the same size and comparing the weight for the fun of it. .

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Seacast part II is done. Its cold and more rain here today, I had to fire up the heaters to get the shop up to 90 before I started. I'm going to vent it later and heat it up again......if you hear about an explosion in OK, that will be fuggly :eek:

I finished up the motor mount, made kind of a mess.

You probally can't see them, but I drilled 4 holes in the top of the mount next to the hull to allow air out. Then I just worked it with a paint paddle till the seacast (smurf puke) came out.

I didn't make as big of a mess with the forward bulkhead, It went really smoothly, it is a pretty forgiving product in terms of working time.

I had some left over, so I copied Sam and made some smurf puke brownies!

They might make some seat cleats or something,

Last edited: