Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Had to do some quick welding and make a trip to the lake today. It is now 1' above the maximum elevation.....is it just me or is there something wrong with that statement? I guess the corp of engineers likes to give it 110%, lol. Anyhow I had to extend a couple of pencils on my dock in-case they decided to give it 120%.....I don't need the dock floating around the lake. Did some late night steel fabrication

For some reason everything went smoothly....5 minutes on the dock and we were done. The trick was getting to the dock, the walkway is under 9' of water. Trolling motor and a tinny that my neighbor had. What are those strange little bumps all over the tinny boats?

Figured out where the motor mount goes tonight, 8-3/4" forward of the old location. I also cut it out, but its time to take a shower long couple of days! I'll try to get it tabbed in tomorrow.

Almost pour time!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Every thing is tabbed in....prepping for the seacast pours. I decided I was rushing things, so I moved both pours to Sunday. First will be the normal seacast, transom, motor mount and forward bulkhead. After that will be the self leveling, let all of that cook off Sunday night, put glass on the self leveling next week, then we will be ready for the deck!

I've been pondering the finish for the engine bay, anyone have any thoughts about bilgecoat vs gelcoat? I'm thinking light gray or something along those lines. I also need to figure our something to cover up the zolatone in the forward storage area and along the sides of the hull.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Hmmm that in interesting Zool I will have to look into that. Usually when someone says government spec I grab my wallet :D

I don't know how many oil filters I have dropped in the bilge......which made me think about doing a remote today. 2 gallons of dish soap later you have it cleaned up, but like you said its hard to beat gel.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
The SM 1000 says it will make your boat go 14% faster ! ;)
Now that's my kind of paint ! :D

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hey Arch - Using a remote filter and an oil drain hose thingy can let you keep the bilge virtually spotless. The saved dough from not using the SM 1000 can go in the tank. But 14% faster is hard to pass up.

So tomorrow is still the big pour day?

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class
Quick question people....yeah, we all know what happens with quick questions....If the "bilge" area is not readily visible, and there are a couple good layups of 1708, CSM, poly resin, etc., Is there any reason to paint, gel coat, bilge coat, etc....My ski locker will run the entire length along the center of the hull, bow to stern and will be 12" wide till it hits the bilge area which is 26" wide. Unless one actually opens up the hatch's, those areas will not be seen. Didn't want to spend a bundle on cosmetics for something that won't be visible. 89 Astro Fish and Ski with Mercury outboard. All thoughts and inputs will be appreciated. BTW...great work Arch....

Dan

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Working on it. I have been cleaning the shop this morning and started making the seacast funnel for the transom. last one I used some sheet metal flashing and some plywood. I had the shear / break out, and some 20ga sheet metal, so I'm breaking this one out of sheet metal and tack welding it together. Over kill, but all the stuff was sitting there, so why not! I need to get that done and make one for the front. I also need to make some dams for the self leveling seacast, but that won't take long at all, just some scrap wood and duct tape. Then we should be ready to pour. If the weather isn't too crazy I would like to do the self leveling this evening, but they are predicting severe weather, hail, flooding, tornadoes, yeah! Its May for sure! If I don't pour that tonight, I will do it tomorrow after the transom, motor mount and bulk head.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Thanks tnstratofam and JB. I got the self leveling pour done, just before some T-storms rolled in. Still keeping an eye on them.....Next pour is on for tomorrow. I have more pics and video I will try to get up tomorrow.

Went smooth by the way.

Mark72233

Ensign
Arch the boat is looking good. I just checked the radar in your area, man that looks nasty. Keep your head down and be safe.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Good deal ! Did you shake the boat a little to get it to lay flat ? :D

zool

Captain
The SM 1000 says it will make your boat go 14% faster ! ;)
Now that's my kind of paint ! :D

One of the testimonials stated they had to re-prop the boat, because the reduced drag on the engine caused it to over rev...that sounds pretty slick!

Im always skeptical of product claim that seem to be a cure all, kinda like the old medicine show wagons, with magic elixirs lol.....I plan to try a few of their products on my builds, to test the claims out.

Dan: you don't need to coat the rarely accessible bilges, its more of a vanity thing, but it does help in spotting problems early, following the liquid trail.

Sounds like your moving right along Arch!

Last edited:

Daniel1947

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Zool, I really didn't see any need to. AND TO ALL YOU FOLKS OVER IN THE MID SECTION OF THE COUNTRY....STAY SAFE. We are getting the rain here in the Memphis area, but so far no tornados.

Dan

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Nice sunny day here, I put a layer of 2 oz chop strand on the seacast to cap it. I'll probably come back later with some 1708. I had to do a little clean up grinding....nothing like starting the day off with grinding! the bottoms of the sponsons and center pod a nice and stiff now. I'm going to let that fire off and go get lunch and a couple odds and ends. Then pour later this afternoon.