Penta 5.7 Throttle body WOT boggs/drops out (Injector Issue... Left works right not))

Status
Not open for further replies.

skywidget

Cadet
Re: Penta 5.7 Throttle body WOT boggs/drops out (Injector Issue)

Perrrrrrrfect! I probably got an LED in the garage.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

LED's are easy, the paper clip might be a problem. :p

I would recommend you flatten the end of your paper clip or wire so you don't damage the connector.

skywidget

Cadet

Will do! Was thinkin' I might flatten a little solder if I can't find a clip real quick. Should be some near the LED. :)

Thanks again for the help.

j

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

LED's are easy, the paper clip might be a problem. :p

I would recommend you flatten the end of your paper clip or wire so you don't damage the connector.

That Don is a extreme leap...

skywidget

Cadet

Hey Guys...was reading the Diagnostic Manual...Chapter 7 has pics that show part locations on the engine for removal/installation.
The pics are pretty grainy and these old eyes could use some help. You know of anywhere these are more clear?
Wait...I've got an owner's manual that has some pics...I'll look there too.
j

Don S

As far as free online manuals, that's as good as they get the 94-99 manuals were just garbage for online. Once OMC was out of the picture, the manuals from 2000 (EF models) and newer were clear, as were the older ones.
Best thing you can do is find the same manual in printed form.

skywidget

Cadet

Looks like there are a couple on ebay. I've never bought anything off eBay so I'm a little hesitant. Any reputable places to grab one of these? I can probably get by without one but I like to work smart not hard.

BTW, I worked in a shop for 18.5 years where quality was a big deal. (Aircraft Avionics). I adopted your saying in your signature Don.
...always enough time to do it over. Used to make me crazy the lack of quality work of some of the young guys. :)
j

skywidget

Cadet

Ok...just finished troubleshooting an hour or so ago.

1) Used the LED and paper clip to pull the codes. (NO joy) just repeated DTC 12 over and over indicating no errors logged and ECM is happy. (As far as codes)

2) Went through steps 1-8 in S.L.O.W Diagnosis Page 6-58. Step 8 says to replace the ECM.

Guess that's where I am. Symptoms sure indicate it's going into S.L.O.W mode so I'm going to give it a whirl.

Any reason for me to think used? Or just suck it up and get a new one. It's a 1999 so I'm assuming it's the original and lasted these 12-13 years. Thoughts?

thx
j

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Part # Type
16159919 MEFI-1
16189069 MEFI-1
16220371 MEFI-1
16234539 MEFI-1*
16210729 MEFI-2
16237009 MEFI-3
16237019 CEFI-3
16236999 MEFI-3*
12569494 MEFI-4
12575479 MEFI-4a
12584052 MEFI-4b
12597744 MEFI-5
12607802 MEFI-5a

There is a code for your ecm post it back

skywidget

Cadet

I'm guessing 16237009 MEFI-3 but the MEFI-3 is throwing me a bit.

ECM2.jpgECM1.jpg

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

I'm guessing 16237009 MEFI-3 but the MEFI-3 is throwing me a bit.

View attachment 154679View attachment 154680

16237009 MEFI 3 Just indentifying the controller type so you know what you have if you pm me i will send you the proper diag manual. The marine ind will charge up to 2000 for a mefi 3 but you can buy new ones for 600 and set your engines specs for a few hundred...Much better than new

Just did a search for a mefi 3 ecm....bad new's there all out. If you cant figure out your dilema give obd a call they do know your system very well...I guess its possilbe a eprom could get stuck with corrupted software but i would suspect something is tripping it and you just cant read the codes...It does have to be shorted to get into service mode. Its very old but reliable stuff..

skywidget

Cadet

I think with everyone's help I've got this one on the run. ;)

Thanks Tail_Gunner for the OBD information. I called and spoke with Bob today and he encouraged me to circle back and check for codes again. I remembered having disconnected J1 and J2 from the ECM. What I remembered though was that I had taken the boat back out and duplicated the RPM Reduction Mode / S.L.O.W (Speed Limiting Operational Warning) and only "afterwards" attempted to read the codes. Bob reminded me removing J1/J2 would remove "Power" to the ECM and any codes stored would be reset. I decided I better make sure so I took the boat back out it was running up to ~2500/2600 RPM and cruising for a bit then it would "Reduce" the RPM. With the throttle untouched, it would begin to fall until almost exactly 1200 RPM at which time it would kick back in, power/RPM began to climb again. As it eased up to the original RPM it would slow and then cruise, (again without touching the throttle) and after a short period repeat that exact sequence. I allowed it to cycle through 3 times and then took her back to the dock. Pull the codes again and VOILA. DTC 12 AND DTC 14. (Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECT) Low Temperature Indicated. I followed the diagnostics as you guys kept mentioning were necessary and there were 5.0 volts DC across A and B on the connector. Step 1 says to connect DVOM across the ECT sensor harness terminals. If voltage is 4.0 or higher then replace ECT sensor.

Now I know until I actually make the replacement nothing is confirmed but at least with everyones help here I'm looking at an ECT sensor and NOT $2k or $700 but "maybe" just maybe I'll get away with quite a bit less.

I guess I'll try and find one locally. If not I might as well as for recommendations on where to buy online. :)

Thanks again!
j

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Good for you Bob is very well schooled in mefi he was being a good guy going over the steps...I should say he is a business man and not a forum advisor for his sake..

skywidget

Cadet

A wise business man apparently. I'll be using his services in the future almost guaranteed. :)
j

skywidget

Cadet

I pulled the ECT. Decided since the diag manual has approximate resistance at different temps I figure I'd head to the kitchen and boil a little water. While the water was warming I sampled the resistance readings and I'm sorry (in a way) to report that it seems like this sensor is behaving exactly as it should. (just an ordinary thermistor) Now that's a down and dirty test but now I'm getting a little (chasing the tail) feeling. Decided to take to a shop and pulled the boat out of the lake and they assured me they could run diags on the Volvo Penta. An hour after dropping it off they called back and say they don't have the right adapter for the DTC. LOL
I'm thinking...what next. LOL

So the saga continues... still no Joy.

Don S

An hour after dropping it off they called back and say they don't have the right adapter for the DTC. LOL
I'm thinking...what next. LOL

That would make me nervious, simply because it means they have no experience with the MEFI systems. The MEFI ECM's were in use from 94 through 2001. Then the newer EGC format came out.

skywidget

Cadet

Yea Don...Made me very nervous and took it an authorized dealer. (The other place had Volvo Penta on the sign. Guess they only work newer versions.) The new outfit is supposed to look at it today or tomorrow. Hopefully a complete scan will reveal the elusive secret.

j

Status
Not open for further replies.