wheel bearings, good, bad or just ugly?

jwgeetar

Cadet
hey all, new old guy here on the forums.

just got my dads old 15' (Wards) Sea King boat at my house to work on. it's in decent shape being housed in a garage and shed for over 20 years.

ok, the wheels need replaceing and was gonna slap them on the trailor except the bearings looked dirty and prolly needs cleaning and greasing. i saw pits on the outer bearings and worry about them. couldn't pull the inner ones off---yet anyway.:confused:

can these bearings survive just needing grease? i had this boat/trailor brought over on a flatbed cause i was worried about pulling the trailor 50 miles to my house.

anyway, nice to find this forum cause i got to hit the motor section next. thx jw

teamrevo

Cadet
Re: wheel bearings, good, bad or just ugly?

Bearing kits are cheap and easy to replace. For the money and sanity I would replace them.

jwgeetar

Cadet

Bearing kits are cheap and easy to replace. For the money and sanity I would replace them.
i guess i don't need to grease the new one's, prolly just the axel shaft....

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

You'll need to pack the new bearings with marine grease. Also, replace the bearing races or cups as some call them abd the seals on the inner side. Do it all while you're there. Then you can take that of the list of potential problems.

Bifflefan

Commander

It really depends on how nad they are. If the trailer and boat are not heavy, and you grease them regulary from now on, they will probably last forever, ever tho they arent perfect.

alumi numb

Petty Officer 1st Class

every bearing out there for anything this applies to.
turn it and feel, if it turns silk smooth it's good.
there may be dirt in there so purge it so all grease is new and all dirt out.
then turn it and see.

jwgeetar

Cadet

ok, but i have had the wheels off once and couldn't get the inner bearing off---easily anyway. is there a trick like a hammer tap? or are they supposed to come off?

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

you have to tap the inner seal out, then the inner bearing will fall out. there is a seal that keeps water/dust from entering the backside of the wheel.

jwgeetar

Cadet

you have to tap the inner seal out, then the inner bearing will fall out. there is a seal that keeps water/dust from entering the backside of the wheel.

thanks much.:)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you can't get the inner bearing off, it needs to be replaced -- period. Both inner and outer bearings need to be a slip fit on the spindle. If they are stuck on the spindle then the rollers are typically affected as well. Bearings are cheap. Packing them is required.

Shizzy

Ensign

If you can't get the inner bearing off, it needs to be replaced -- period. Both inner and outer bearings need to be a slip fit on the spindle. If they are stuck on the spindle then the rollers are typically affected as well. Bearings are cheap. Packing them is required.

agreed, for the cost of new parts I would put new ones in. for $20 do you want to be worried about some old bearings every time you pull the boat?

jwgeetar

Cadet

no i don't wanna have to worry about the trailor. i see plenty along the side of the road. prolly will go with the new one's. i also got lights i'm gonna replace the old one's with. thats the investment so far.

problem is this is a very old rig and i worry that my 55hp chrysler motor won't work. or worse, not work and i'm not able to get one that'll make my steering and starter work with my remote wire rigging.

so i'm kinda being cheap...awaiting advice on this motor(on another forum and a coupla other buddies). i ain't never owned a boat so it's all new to me.