Penta 5.7 Throttle body WOT boggs/drops out (Injector Issue... Left works right not))

Status
Not open for further replies.

skywidget

Cadet
Re: Penta 5.7 Throttle body WOT boggs/drops out (Injector Issue)

Ok...some more of the story.

Took it out of the lake took to authorized center on the marina. Described essentially what I described here. It seems to be entering "protection" / S.L.O.W mode. Explained I had pulled the DTC 14 code pointing to the sensor. (ECT) and that I had tested it in the water on my stove checking resistance. Realizing the resistance test is a passive test and when installed it could breakdown in a way not reflected with the ohms testing. At any rate it they've had the thing for 3 weeks and just today we got a report.

They had "run diagnostics" and replaced the ECT and they say DTC 14 is gone. During testing they noticed it was not coming up to temp and discovered no thermostat. They installed a thermostat and along with the ECT however this did not change the injector turning off @ 2500 RPM and back on @ 1200 RPM. They are saying the tested the fuel system and the low pressure pump is "bad".
Their explanation is the high pressure pump is running out of fuel and the when the low pressure catches up it returns runs up again.
While it may very well be possible, I'm having a very hard time accepting it happening at exactly the protection mode RPM values.
I personally removed the air cleaner and observed the starboard side injector cutting off and back on at 2500/1200. Observed this several cycles. That having been said what do you guys think? Am I just not trusting them or does it sound suspicious? Then want $300 bucks to replace the low pressure pump. Diagnostics + ECT + Thermostat is up to $150.

What do you guys think?

Thanks guys...sorry for the long delay. With the 4th of July week they were backed up and the mechanic had personally issues.

j

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Did they test this with a pressure gauge?

skywidget

Cadet

He didn't actually say. My bad. I should have nailed him down. I was just confused when he didn't answer me about the fuel pressure cutting in and out at exactly the "protection" mode values. :rolleyes:

Note: picked up boat...no fuel lines show any evidence of removal. It's a little older and the dust/grease that accumulates doesn't seem disturbed anywhere. Course it's not science I'm using here.

Gonna do the Boat side fuel tests DonS put in the sticky.

skywidget

Cadet

Problem finally SOLVED by amateur!

Ok...I picked up the boat. I had lost confidence in the shop.

1) Read Diagnostic manual cover to cover and stumbled upon how to test if it's the Guardian/S.L.O.W. mode.
2) Mode only monitors Engine Coolant Level and Oil Pressure.
3) Disconnected ECT and Engine Oil Pressure connectors to sensors.
4) OPERATES NORMAL. WOT is no problem. Runs like a dream. (Monitored both Oil and Engine Temp on the dash very closely.)
5) Reconnected ECT...Still running great!
6) Reconnected Oil Pressure Sender...back in Guardian/S.L.O.W. mode.
7) Removed and replace Oil Pressure Sender and all is well.

Dang it! Wish I had not doubted myself. Could have fixed the boat weeks ago!

BTW...the tech stated on the receipt that it wouldn't come up on plane. Tested Fuel Pressure and it was low and declared the Low Pressure pump needed to be replaced. CRAP! They wanted $330 to replace it. That's when I decided to bring it home.

I tested the pressure and it was a solid 30 psi. I guess if you don't really know what to do you guess??????? Dang.

I won't be using their service again. I didn't know much about boats when I started but I feel like I sure got my feet wet... :p
feet wet...I crack myself up!!!

I really want to say how much I appreciate the help you guys threw in on this thread. It's really helps to have a knowledge repository like this forum. Thanks again guys. If you find your boat gets stuck in Guardian/S.L.O.W. mode just disconnect stuff until you find it! LOL

God Bless,
j

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Could have fixed the boat weeks ago!
We were mentioning senders way back on 6/23, post #15 for me and Don as well.

skywidget

Cadet

We were mentioning senders way back on 6/23, post #15 for me and Don as well.

Yes you were! 3 days before I pulled it to take to the "expert". (See post #36) LOL.
My first boat experience. (Maintenance) I was proceeding pretty cautiously and at the same time didn't want to ask so many questions folks would get frustrated with me. The grand kids were here for summer break and the wife, well she wanted it fixed yesterday. I opted to pay for a tech expecting to have it back for the kids. Turns out I made the wrong choice. LOL.

You guys were without a doubt what caused me to continue and gave me an edge.
No way would I have fixed it myself without your help!

Again...I'd really like to thank all the guys who threw their experience in here.

God Bless,
j

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Hey good for you...now get your alarm ruuning...;)

skywidget

Cadet

LOL Will do!

Thanks,
j

rubisco2000

Recruit

Problem finally SOLVED by amateur!

Ok...I picked up the boat. I had lost confidence in the shop.

1) Read Diagnostic manual cover to cover and stumbled upon how to test if it's the Guardian/S.L.O.W. mode.
2) Mode only monitors Engine Coolant Level and Oil Pressure.
3) Disconnected ECT and Engine Oil Pressure connectors to sensors.
4) OPERATES NORMAL. WOT is no problem. Runs like a dream. (Monitored both Oil and Engine Temp on the dash very closely.)
5) Reconnected ECT...Still running great!
6) Reconnected Oil Pressure Sender...back in Guardian/S.L.O.W. mode.
7) Removed and replace Oil Pressure Sender and all is well.

Dang it! Wish I had not doubted myself. Could have fixed the boat weeks ago!

BTW...the tech stated on the receipt that it wouldn't come up on plane. Tested Fuel Pressure and it was low and declared the Low Pressure pump needed to be replaced. CRAP! They wanted $330 to replace it. That's when I decided to bring it home.

I tested the pressure and it was a solid 30 psi. I guess if you don't really know what to do you guess??????? Dang.

I won't be using their service again. I didn't know much about boats when I started but I feel like I sure got my feet wet... :p
feet wet...I crack myself up!!!

I really want to say how much I appreciate the help you guys threw in on this thread. It's really helps to have a knowledge repository like this forum. Thanks again guys. If you find your boat gets stuck in Guardian/S.L.O.W. mode just disconnect stuff until you find it! LOL

God Bless,
j
Awesome. Having the same problem. Just can't figure out where the oil pressure sensor is...

Status
Not open for further replies.