Oxidation

scrat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have some pretty good oxydation going on on my hull. I'd like to clean it and rewax it while I have it out of the water. I'dve done this on autos before but am leery of using the same sort of oxydation removal compound on a boat with gel coat and fiberglass as I would an auto.. Suggestions?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Oxydation

I have some pretty good oxydation going on on my hull. I'd like to clean it and rewax it while I have it out of the water. I'dve done this on autos before but am leery of using the same sort of oxydation removal compound on a boat with gel coat and fiberglass as I would an auto.. Suggestions?

Ayuh,... the gelcoat is 'bout 10 times to 100 times the thickness of paint,...

Just go to Buffin' it out...
If it's really bad, sand it out 1st...

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Ayuh,... the gelcoat is 'bout 10 times to 100 times the thickness of paint,...

Just go to Buffin' it out...
If it's really bad, sand it out 1st...

What do you use Bondo, when you have a heavily oxidized hull...not bad enough to wet sand first. What type of compound or cutting agent do you use , and wool or foam buffing pads ? I have been using Meguiars Ultimate compound. I have tried wool pads and foam and it seems to be very slow going. I am using a Porter-Cable random orbit buffer.. It does eventually shine up , but I am betting there is a faster method. Clue me in bro !

Bondo

Staff member

What do you use Bondo, when you have a heavily oxidized hull...not bad enough to wet sand first. What type of compound or cutting agent do you use , and wool or foam buffing pads ? I have been using Meguiars Ultimate compound. I have tried wool pads and foam and it seems to be very slow going. I am using a Porter-Cable random orbit buffer.. It does eventually shine up , but I am betting there is a faster method. Clue me in bro !

Ayuh,.... I hit it with 320grt. on a DA sander, 'n Paint it,.... ;) :D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

chriscraft254

Commander

Most the time I don't use a buffer at all, just for buffing after waxing. I like starbright hull restorer or woodys wax restore compound. Either one works great. 3m compound is also good. I put it on by hand and keep it moist while working it, then buff it off with clean rags or buffer pad. Wax coat same way after compound. By the way, if your going to wet sand, no need for anything more aggressive than 600. I always start with 1200 first because most the time that will do the trick.

Friscoboater

Captain

I sanded my glastron out and then buffed it. I think I have a video and a bunch of pictures in my restoration thread for the Glastron somewhere. It is alot of work, and took me almost a solid week. I stared with 600 grit, then 1000, then 1500, and then started buffing with finer and finer grits of polish until it looked like glass. My garage was a mess with all the wet sanding sludge, and the buffer cast off.

NHGuy

Captain

If the compound doesn't do the trick go with 2000 grit wet sand paper next. If that doesn't do it go 1000, if that doesn't work go 600 or 400. The smaller value is more aggressive.
Test a small area. Wet sand, compound, polish, wax, check.
I did mine with 2000 and then used Meguiars cutting polish followed by a good waxing.
It's a lot of manual labor but I get compliments on the boat finish all the time. I spent a few hours a day for 4 or 5 days this spring. You won't regret it once you are done.

View a you tube video about how to wet sand, the main points are there. As stated above you do not need to concern about sanding through because gel is so much thicker than paint. The only thing I would say about sand-through is to only sand or polish off the corners. This is mainly due to the action of a rotary polisher, you could burn the finish if you polish onto a corner. If the wheel won't reach a spot that gets done by hand.
Don't sand raised graphics, they are vinyl. If they are dull and dry you can work them with polish or wax.
Have a look. (Bow numbers obscured intentionally.)
Baja pics (3A).jpg